As promised, New Mya Moe Day!

Smalls

Reaction score
Long story short: I sold my Koaloha to help pay for a guitar. Ended up not getting the guitar. Didn't have a uke anymore. Started asking questions, ended up with this: Mya Moe #479 from a UU member. Curly Myrtle tradition, 14 fret neck, K&K pickup. I like it. I've already been in touch with Gordon, the customer service rep these guys have is well deserved. Can't wait to get some decent strings on it (I had to string it lefty and all I could find locally were aquila's. Not digging them on this one.) To compare, my Koaloha felt more "lively" and responsive, but it was a 12 yr old, well played instrument. This one's fairly new. It sounds and plays great though, and the build quality is very good. I think the Koaloha might have been built a little lighter, but I don't think the difference is very big, if any at all. I didn't have them side by side to compare, just going from memory. Things I like: The pickup's a big plus (sounds awesome, and I'm not a K&K fanboy at all! Ripped one out of a guitar after 1 performance, couldn't stand it!), the peghead tuners are much better than the friction tuners on the Koaloha (to me, ymmv). I like the neck on the Mya Moe much better than the Koaloha. The shape just feels good to me. To sum up. It's a really nice uke. Would I buy a new one? If I had the money (and could stand the wait), probably. I like the instruments and I like the people making them.
Here's a pic:
IMG_0316.jpg

Looking good, smalls. I didn't realize she would be played upside down from here on out. Glad you like it.

Congrats...that is sure a nice Mya Moe....Yes the KoAloha may have a different type of bright sound...all boils down to preference....
Love the case...what brand is it...thank you

Congratulations! That's a great looking ukulele. I love the curl in the myrtle. What do you think of myrtle as a tonewood so far?

The myrtle is really nice looking. Amazing how many tonewoods there are out there. It's not a mahogany vs. koa world any more, is it?

Congrats...that is sure a nice Mya Moe....Yes the KoAloha may have a different type of bright sound...all boils down to preference....

It's not mine, but it looks like a Reunion Blues case.

that is beautiful! Congratulations....... about the neck, in comparison to Koaloha, chunkier? thinner?? wider???? What do you like about it?

Mahalo Matty.....it look real plush and I love the blue comforter style insides...now to check where they are available and how much...hee hee thank you again..

Hey Stan i like the case too.. wow 159.00 at elderly looks nice though

Last edited:

Thank you MM Stan

i heard that Myamoe's sound bright, and i agree that KoAloha's sound also very bright, not sure if Aquilla strings the best choice

Thanks for all the kind words--Yes, that is a reunion blues continental gigbag. I've had them for acoustic and electric guitar, as well as bass. They are pretty nice. probably more protection than most hardshell cases. Check out their videos on youtube or their website This one sells for about 120 on amazon, but I remember seeing them for 110 somewhere... It actually came with the uke, so that was cool. This literally was exactly what I wanted. Same size, same woods, same pickup, even the same case. As for the uke now that I've had some time with it...I like it. A lot. I switched to Worth CT's and they made a BIG difference in the sound.

Somebody asked about the neck and why I prefer it-- basically it's got a little more heft to it. a little rounder, a little thicker, with a nice sort of flat U profile, esp near the headstock and the body. I can't really speak to the tonal differences between KOA and Myrtle, they both sound like a uke to me. I can pick out and describe guitar tonewoods all day, but all the ukes Ive played so far sound more or less like a uke. Some better than others, but still a uke. That's not to say that I can't tell a difference, this and my old KoAloha sound better and play WAY better than the cheap ukes I've had and played in the past. For me that's where the money is--the quality of the sound and the playability.

Wow it's purty! Congratulations!

Top Bottom