Calling Baritone Lovers

pdxuke

Reaction score
Hello Uke Friends:

Please help educate me. I'm a soprano player dipping my toes into other scales. I need to know about Baritones and brands that you like. I like mahogany, so I'd really like to stick with that.

Here's what I know:

Vintage:
Martin
Favilla
Vega
Harmony
..any others, and comments on above?

Modern:
Ohana
Kala all mahogany
Pono

I'd love your thoughts!

Love baritone ukes.

Thought I would only play soprano ukes until I played a Martin baritone ukulele at Pioneer music a year or so ago. Couldn't afford the Martin, but couldn't stop thinking about that mellow bari sound. I ended up buying a Kala KA-B (basic laminate mahogany bari) this past March from Artichoke Music. The KA-B was a great intro to the baritone sound.

During a recent holiday trip to Maui, I couldn't resist buying myself a uke as a souvenir. I chose a Mele solid mahogany 'double puka' baritone uke. It's got a very thin neck profile (much like the classic Martin) and a great, mellow sound. Love it.

Here in Portland, why not go ahead and take the time to play all the baritone ukes at Apple Music, Portland Music Supply, Artichoke Music, and Trade Up Music. You'll surely get an idea what you like, and you might even find the right baritone for you.

Love baritone ukes.

Thought I would only play soprano ukes until I played a Martin baritone ukulele at Pioneer music a year or so ago. Couldn't afford the Martin, but couldn't stop thinking about that mellow bari sound. I ended up buying a Kala KA-B (basic laminate mahogany bari) this past March from Artichoke Music. The KA-B was a great intro to the baritone sound.

During a recent holiday trip to Maui, I couldn't resist buying myself a uke as a souvenir. I chose a Mele solid mahogany 'double puka' baritone uke. It's got a very thin neck profile (much like the classic Martin) and a great, mellow sound. Love it.

Here in Portland, why not go ahead and take the time to play all the baritone ukes at Apple Music, Portland Music Supply, Artichoke Music, and Trade Up Music. You'll surely get an idea what you like, and you might even find the right baritone for you.

Thanks for the tips. I've played the KA-B, and yes, the neck profile is one thing I love about the vintage Martins. Would love to try a Favilla--I used to have a soprano. Would like to get a hold of the all solid Kala mahogany to try. Not familiar with trade up music so will have to go find them. Really mourn the loss of Pioneer.

I would like Ohana to make a BK-38. Wouldn't that be something.
I'll follow your barihunt with interest; I'm developing a slight case of Bari UAS.

Over here in the UK the baritone choice is a bit limited unless you are prepared to travel long distances to try ukes or buy over the web. It's also rather costly to import instruments due to tax and shipping which again limits choice and older instruments, such as Martins and Favillas attract a premium.

After much websearching I ended up with the Pono and am very happy with it. The funny thing is, I was actually after an Ohana BK10 but they were out of stock and I discovered I could get a 0% finance deal on the Pono so thought, why not.

I definitely now have baritone UAS and with all the above information in mind have gone for a custom for my second instrument so as to get what I want and still cheaper than an import or a "heritage instrument".

I would like Ohana to make a BK-38. Wouldn't that be something.
I'll follow your barihunt with interest; I'm developing a slight case of Bari UAS.

A BK 38 would be wonderful. I understand the Kala all mahogany barry is modeled if feel after the Martins of old. I had a harmony once upon a time--but new nothing of the ways of Baritones and it got traded.

I have four baritones: a Pono solid mahogany, Kamaka HF-4 and a Kamaka HF-48 (koa), and a Mya-Moe myrtle. I love them all, and they all sound a bit different. For something in the nature of a "starter" baritone, I'd recommend a Pono. I love mine.

Pdx, I just bumped the quintessential recent Baritone thread, Baritone UAS. It discusses strings, turnings, radiused fret boards, and...well...UAS. Lol. I think you'd enjoy it. Should be near the top of the Board now.

Yes, get a Bari. Re entrant dGBE. Stick with Martin. You're right to do that. Best resale. I think I'll get a Martin Bari, too. Or Favilla.

People tend not to read the whole thread in links, and I'm on my iPhone, whick is hard but not impossible, and i wanted to ask a question on Kiwaya baris on it, so it just made sense. But, thanks, mds.

If you can afford a Martin then buy a Martin. Mele seem to have some nice baritone ukulele's that I'm eyeing off. I have a Bruceweiart baritone ukulele that's a great sounding instrument however they are a little hit and miss.

Anthony

I have a boulder creek riptide baritone which doesn't have the soundhole underneath the strings but on the top left corner of the body by the neck and an additional soundhole on the side of the body facing up towards the player (all for me;-)) it gives of a really deep tone and is surprisingly loud for the soundholes being in odd position. Beautiful instrument baritones everyone should have them!
Also tip for fingerstyle baritonists to emulate a tenor banjo down tune the E (1st string) down to d for open d tuning and pick more towards the bridge! I've just been messing with babel mumford and sons!
Much love happy uking!

I love my Harmony Baritone. All solid mahogany from the 50's. Boomy sound. Neck feels great, not clubby like some other baritones I've played. Plus, it's pretty light. I spent two years looking for a reasonably priced one, and practically stole the one I have, price-wise.

Dan

You can add Mainland to the modern list. I have a Mainland mahogany baritone (satin finish) and a Pono mahogany baritone (gloss). The Pono has a slightly longer scale and the body is about a centimeter thicker. The Pono is also lighter and a little more responsive at the bottom end. The Mainland is good, though, just not quite as good as the Pono (of course, it costs around half as much, unless you can snag a Pono second).

The Mainland works better strung reentrant G than "normal" linear G. The Pono it makes less difference - it handles reentrant and linear G about the same.

I'm not hung up on vintage instruments, but I wouldn't mind having either a Martin or Favilla if it was in good playing shape and the price was right.

As for baritone UAS - yeah...I gots it bad. Need at least one Koa baritone...

John

i have the solid mahog. Kala, strung w/ Martins & LOVE it! However, i do live in the boonies & have not had a chance to play any of the higher end options to compare with... listening to recorded samples doesn't really work for me, i need to actually hold the uke & play it my own way, w/ my own string choice to get a clear idea....

i have the solid mahog. Kala, strung w/ Martins & LOVE it! However, i do live in the boonies & have not had a chance to play any of the higher end options to compare with... listening to recorded samples doesn't really work for me, i need to actually hold the uke & play it my own way, w/ my own string choice to get a clear idea....

Thanks! I love the look. How is the intonation--does it play in tune? :)

To Mark--your PM mailbox is full. So, rather than waste my iPad typing, here's my reply. Your ukes are wonderful (bottom line).

"Those are great ukuleles, Mark. You do like the mellow tones of larger ukes. And the link to your group looks like fun!

I have a Pohaku Baritone, and since Peter Hurney is in your area, you might check out his shop sometime. Jay (Blue-knight) and Eric (Ericvel) have been there and told me it's impressively small. His work is so meticulous its insane. It is the best single ukulele I have ever owned.

I have a second Mya Moe, a soprano to match my tenor, for a summer build. With a Tradition model, my choices are somewhat limited (and I couldn't get myself to spring for the bling as Gordon says they sound identical). I see you have one tradition and two classics--baris are only classic option.

Enjoy!"

Okay, now back to baritones.

Top Bottom