hand plane shavings as rosette binding

AlaskaTheo

Reaction score
I came across a solution the other day that I hadn't seen yet online, so I thought that I would share.

I was practicing with some rosettes and was running low on BWB laminated purf for binding the edges of my rosettes, so I used some hand plane shavings from a walnut offcut I had.rosette 002.jpgrosette 005.jpgrosette 007.jpg

Nice idea..but not my cup of tea..i still like an abalone rosette or the Rosette/purfling that Petros guitars and Eric Devine use..

Last edited:
Nice. Using odd bits n pieces is a great way to force creativity out of yourself.

This is a tenor rosette I made from scraps yesterday.

uke piecemeal rosette (8).jpguke piecemeal rosette (11).jpguke piecemeal rosette (18).jpguke piecemeal rosette (19).jpguke piecemeal rosette (20).jpg

Really nice Beau. Does leaving it open at the end allow some flex for getting in the channel?

Weerpool, I like the wood to the edge of the soundhole style, I want to try one of those next.

Here are a few more wooden ones, w/out the handplane trimwooden rosettes 005.jpgwooden rosettes 006.jpgwooden rosettes 003.jpg

Really nice Beau. Does leaving it open at the end allow some flex for getting in the channel?

It does allow flex but that gap is just the part that goes under the fingerboard, so no point in making it look nice. My sides over the end block are the same. sometimes I leave up to a 5mm gap as im only going to put a butt strip in there so i don't worry about joining it.

That's a pretty cool use for floor sweeping Theo! As a builder, especially in Alaska or Hawaii, you need to be resourceful.

As long as everyone is showing their rosettes, here's one I just put the finishing touches on this afternoon.

Attachments

• mermaid scrim rosette.jpg
    mermaid scrim rosette.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 120
If you got it, flaunt it. Beautiful work, everyone.

Bravo!

Nice work. What material did you use for the blue color?

Hmm...very cool rosettes. I'll have to look closer at those little bits I throw in the bin

Obviously not, when the scrap is in your shop. That's very nice!

Top Bottom