Guitar String on a Ukulele

Thixz3

Reaction score
Hey guys i live in brazil and i broke the string of my ukulele,its really hard to find cheap string here where i live,i want to know if i can use a Nylon string of a guitar and what should string of the guitar i should put on the ukulele (6th,5th or 4th)

The string that broke on the ukulele is the first string(A)

Ps:I bought the ukulele today and it already broken im very sad...need help!

Hi Thixz3!

Using guitar strings on a ukulele is usually completely fine. To replace the A string on your ukulele, you should use the high E string of the guitar. This way, the tension of the string remains very similar to a normal ukulele string (which is important so you don't accidentally damage your ukulele!).

I hope that's easy to understand. =)

Edit: I forgot to say, yes, you should use nylon guitar strings. Metal strings are too string for most ukuleles.

Last edited:
:)

Thank you very much man!This was really helpfull.Tomorrow i'll test this!Thank you so much!
Peace!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Lots of people use guitar strings on tenor and baritone ukes. They might not sound as good on a soprano. I use classical guitar strings on my tenor.

:)

Lots of people use guitar strings on tenor and baritone ukes. They might not sound as good on a soprano. I use classical guitar strings on my tenor.

Could you please tell me what the strings of the guitar you use in each string in the ukulele(tenor)?G C E A ?

i know that

G=?
C=?
E=?
A=High E on guitar

:eek:

Last edited:
If you want replace all the strings with guitar strings, I recommend doing it this way:

G = High E string
C = G string
E = B string
A = High E string

As you can see, you will need two high E strings. If you can't buy individual guitar strings, you may like to tune your ukulele's G string an octave lower. For this you should use the guitar's D string.

As was mentioned, using guitar strings works best with tenor and baritone ukuleles. But you can still put them on sopranos if you need to! :)

Top Bottom