Got a Message from Martin

pdxuke

Reaction score
So, after I registed my new M2 soprano at Martin I wrote them praising their builds, but asking if I could have, as an option, friction tuners on their US or Mexican concerts.

I didn't expect a "yes" on the Mexican build, but I actually expected a yes on the USA concert build. Afterall, if Mainland can offer that option, why not Martin, the grand daddy of Mainland uke companies.

I got a very nice email back from a person who told me it was not an option. He told me that he agreed with me on the tuners, but those decisions were made higher up. I wrote back and asked him to forward my message up to whomever makes that decision.

I will never buy a modern Martin, pay $1000+ for a concert, without friction tuners. Period. I'm pledging that right here. As much as I'd love to have a new Martin USA concert build.

Anybody feel the same way? Comments, observations--cheap shots?:eek:

I couldn't agree more and that is why I didn't buy a new Martin a while back. It just bothered the heck out of me, and I knew I wouldn't ever like it.

I just came to the occlusion that it is a guitar company now....and they think about the ukulele through the context of the guitar, and thus, they must use geared tuners. Oh well, I'll have to buy more vintage ukuleles with the money!

Haven't they always been a guitar company? I know their vintage ukes are something else (maybe the best ukes in that time period) but when the uke's popularity fell, they stopped caring. I tried those mexican martins and I was pretty upset at the price tag. I have no interest in their ukulele revival b/c to me, they are jumping back on a fad that they deserted. I will stick with better mainland uke makers (even if they are made in China).

I can answer Martin's geared tuner bias with one simple truth: last week I bought a Kiwaya KTC-3.

I understand you having a preference, but I don't get it. You'd spend 1500 bucks or so on a Martin and be unable to take it to a luthier who'd customize it for you? If Martin is your choice, get one! They're not custom instruments. And changing the tuners on one won't make it less of what you want. It will make it more what you want.

Or am I missing something?

I agree with you, Thom. I don't like the appearance geared tuners on any ukuleles. Perhaps you could write again and just ask if they would leave the tuners off. Then, you could get a nice set of friction tuners and put them on. These are some dumb decisions, the tuners and the gig bag. Wait! I'd sign a petition if you started one.

Haven't they always been a guitar company?

Yes, but they made other instruments and those were also well done. Now, they are totally focused on guitar with ukuleles really not being a focus.

I understand you having a preference, but I don't get it. You'd spend 1500 bucks or so on a Martin and be unable to take it to a luthier who'd customize it for you? If Martin is your choice, get one! They're not custom instruments. And changing the tuners on one won't make it less of what you want. It will make it more what you want.

You sound too reasonable! :D

Yes, but they made other instruments and those were also well done. Now, they are totally focused on guitar with ukuleles really not being a focus.

but hasn't that been the issue since the 60s or whenever they stopped making ukes before?
I like Martin Guitars and vintage ukes, but there newer ukes (I've only played the mexico ones) were not impressive. I felt that they are only in the uke market to capitilze on their name and the uke's popularity.

And I think (just my opinion) that this story confirms it.

I believe you are missing the point that I should not have to spend 1500 clams on a Martin and then have it customized. Why should I? This is not a difficult option for Martin to offer, I'd even pay them for it, and frankly, for $1500 I can get a vintage concert which is what I will do.

But you are correct, I could do that. But I've decided to whine about it instead. And since I started the thread I'll whine all I like, despite rational, reasonable arguments like yours. ;)

In response to haolejohn:

I think its a little rough to knock a stringed instrument maker for trying to capitalize on the popularity of the uke. I mean, it seems Martin is only in the guitar biz to capitalize on the popularity of the guitar, right?

Last edited:
but hasn't that been the issue since the 60s or whenever they stopped making ukes before?
I like Martin Guitars and vintage ukes, but there newer ukes (I've only played the mexico ones) were not impressive. I felt that they are only in the uke market to capitilze on their name and the uke's popularity.

And I think (just my opinion) that this story confirms it.

I don't go that far. I think their new builds are very good. I just have a problem with their tuners, and their inflexibility. I'm not sure what this proves, except that Martin doesn't much care what I want :)

I don't go that far. I think their new builds are very good. I just have a problem with their tuners, and their inflexibility. I'm not sure what this proves, except that Martin doesn't much care what I want :)

I would like to try one of their newer ones. All the reviews on the newer ones have been positive.

And I understand your right to whine. I know you love Martin ukes and you have a valid gripe.

What's the difference between geared and friction and why are they better?

In response to haolejohn:

I think its a little rough to knock a stringed instrument maker for trying to capitalize on the popularity of the uke. I mean, it seems Martin is only in the guitar biz to capitalize on the popularity of the guitar, right?

Am i being too rough? To you maybe, but to me...no.

I will stick with buying my ukuleles from ukulele specific companies. Not guitar companies that only care about making money on an instruments popularity.
I don't trust the guitar makers making ukuleles. If I wanted to change something on a Martin guitar like the type of tuners, could I (I have no idea...I'm not a guitar player)?
The uke to Martin is a money making fad (i know all makers are in the uke business to make money, but some actually care about the uke).

Am i being too rough? To you maybe, but to me...no.

I will stick with buying my ukuleles from ukulele specific companies. Not guitar companies that only care about making money on an instruments popularity.
I don't trust the guitar makers making ukuleles. If I wanted to change something on a Martin guitar like the type of tuners, could I (I have no idea...I'm not a guitar player)?
The uke to Martin is a money making fad (i know all makers are in the uke business to make money, but some actually care about the uke).

I'm with you on this. I buy ukes from uke makers.

Thom, have the higher ups responded yet? I am curious how they respond.

Thom, have the higher ups responded yet? I am curious how they respond.

Naw, just got the first email today. I really will be shocked if I get a response.

I just think it should be an option. I should be able to order the darned thing with my choice of friction or geared. One is not better than the other, but I should be able to decide. Especially since the Martin tradition is friction tuners, and they are all about heritage, etc.. Heck, they used to use friction tuners on all their ukes, even baritones!

I respect their product, and I like their current builds, from the S1 up. But boy, I shake my head at that decision.

Even Ohana gives you a choice; some models have friction, some don't.

Top Bottom