free online course - Intro To Digital Sound Design - looks pretty good....

23skidoo

Reaction score
A friend with a lot of experience in professional audio sent me a link to register for a free course in digital audio - no textbooks or hardware needed, other than a computer with a built in microphone and an internet connection. The instructor is a professor at Emory University who knows his stuff - looks like a great resource.

About the course:

This course will provide an overview of the fundamental principles of sound and the factors that determine our audio perception. It will explore techniques of recording, mixing, processing, synthesis, sampling, analysis, and editing of digital audio using freely distributed audio production software for both PC and Mac. Students will also learn an array of sound design and editing techniques for use in film and web-based media, art installations, soundscape creations, or live and internet music performances.

Starts on Jan. 28th, but registration is still open.

Here's the link:
https://www.coursera.org/course/digitalsounddesign

I'm going to give it a shot - looks like fun.....

Last edited:
Cool, I just signed up!

Thanks, dude. My 11yo son and I just signed up together. We both have our own reasons for this but it should be fun!!!

excellent - hope you guys enjoy it..... they have lots of other great music related courses as well.....

Yay course started. I've only watched the welcome and human ear vids so far, but it looks pretty cool.

yep, the first week's material looks great - I think it's going to be a great course..... I don't think it's too late for those that haven't signed up.....

My son and I are through most of the first week and are loving the course so far. Very grateful for your posting, Mr. Skidoo.

It turns out I have a preference for a high degree of roughness. Now I know what to call it!

There is another course starting on March 1 that covers working with Digital Audio Workstations such as Garage Band, Pro Tools, Logic, SONAR, etc. It covers recording chains (mics, pre-amps, AD/DA converters, monitors, etc.) and recording, editing, mixing, adding MIDI sequences, etc. It also covers using compressors, noise gates, filters, routing sends and returns, etc.

It's taught by someone from the Berklee College of Music, a top notch music school.

Last edited:
There is another course starting on March 1 that covers working with Digital Audio Workstations such as Garage Band, Pro Tools, Logic, SONAR, etc. It covers recording chains (mics, pre-amps, AD/DA converters, monitors, etc.) and recording, editing, mixing, adding MIDI sequences, etc. It also covers using compressors, noise gates, filters, routing sends and returns, etc.

It's taught by someone from the Berklee College of Music, a top not music school.

Yep....signed up for that one, too....

Top Bottom