It's Official: New (Old) Uke Day

pdxuke

Reaction score
attachment.php

I found my vintage tenor here in PDX, thanks to the leads of fellow ukers. I purchased at my strike price, thanks to the advice of my uke negotiating guru. I have never really owned a tenor, except briefly an Ohana TK35, which is a great instrument, but I didn't like the neck.

This Martin is so darn comfortable to play. It literally HUMS when I strum it, and even though the new Aquilas keep going out of tune (Martin 620s and Worth Browns on order) I can tell what a beautiful, warm, rich sound these things have. I get it now. (Once I get strings that I'm happy with I'll post a strum sound sample.)

Funny how it has white buttons, but I know from the seller the uke was purchased from Hawaii, and maybe folks on the Island like white buttons instead of the black because of Bruddah Iz. :D

I'm told it's vintage 40s, and I believe it. The tuners, and other signs indicate that it's around that time. God, I love Martins from the 40s and 50s.

But the truth is, I just love playing Martins. They are such lovely instruments, from my OXK up to this 1-T. Next on the list is a Baritone. Someday a concert.

Thanks all for your help. It takes a village to raise my UAS.

Sa-weeeet!

Very nice! Enjoy.

Congratulations! I don't own a tenor, but if I ever get a hankering, that's one I'd be looking at.

attachment.php

I found my vintage tenor here in PDX, thanks to the leads of fellow ukers. I purchased at my strike price, thanks to the advice of my uke negotiating guru. I have never really owned a tenor, except briefly an Ohana TK35, which is a great instrument, but I didn't like the neck.

This Martin is so darn comfortable to play. It literally HUMS when I strum it, and even though the new Aquilas keep going out of tune (Martin 620s and Worth Browns on order) I can tell what a beautiful, warm, rich sound these things have. I get it now. (Once I get strings that I'm happy with I'll post a strum sound sample.)

Funny how it has white buttons, but I know from the seller the uke was purchased from Hawaii, and maybe folks on the Island like white buttons instead of the black because of Bruddah Iz. :D

I'm told it's vintage 40s, and I believe it. The tuners, and other signs indicate that it's around that time. God, I love Martins from the 40s and 50s.

But the truth is, I just love playing Martins. They are such lovely instruments, from my OXK up to this 1-T. Next on the list is a Baritone. Someday a concert.

Thanks all for your help. It takes a village to raise my UAS.

Congratulations Thom!

Very nice addition to your ukes.

Can we hear this Martin sing?

Congrats...I gotta check CL more often...I almost bought a 1920s Martin w/ no cracks for $200 but couldn't go until after work. Some other guy called and told the seller he would go immediately so he sold it to him...that's just how CL works so I'm glad that you sprang into action with the speed of a ninja!

I may have to start checking craig's list, too. I haven't purchased anything through CL for probably three or four years - got my 5-string bass that way though and I've been absolutely tickled with that deal. Not sure how I fell out of the habit of checking it.

Congrats on the Martin!

John

Can't wait to hear it. I will own a vintage martin ukulele some day.

Congratulations! That is a very clean martin. Man those ukes are better than kids, you only pay for them once and you never mind if they never move away out of your house, and the older they get the better they sound!The only vintage martin I own is a 1T, 14 fret to the body and they have a ton of sustain. Phil

Dude, that is off the hook!

I'm so glad you don't buy the other recent tenors you considered. You went for the gusto. This is a lifelong keeper.

It's so pretty. I've never seen a Martin vintage tenor before. Frictions, right?

Yes, please do post many other photos. And soundcloud file. Can you play the same as you did on soprano demo and put the file together back-to-back please with Martin soprano from same era (or just re-record them together). That'd be fun to hear in comparison and contrast of these two sizes from similar era playing same riff. Thanks

You da man! That is so precious.

Last edited:
Very nice and congrats! There is magic in Martin's and I bet that one sounds like angels!

Dude, that is off the hook!

I'm so glad you don't buy the other recent tenors you considered. You went for the gusto. This is a lifelong keeper.

It's so pretty. I've never seen a Martin vintage tenor before. Frictions, right?

Yes, please do post many other photos. And soundcloud file. Can you play the same as you did on soprano demo and put the file together back-to-back please with Martin soprano from same era (or just re-record them together). That'd be fun to hear in comparison and contrast of these two sizes from similar era playing same riff. Thanks

You da man! That is so precious.

Yes, I was shocked how clean it was when I saw it. Some dings on bass and treble sides, but front and back really nice.

Friction tuners, yes. Black and very pretty--remind me of the new GOTOH that are 4:1 in looks--GOTOH got it right.

I will do as you command, but first I have to get it playing in tune. I forgot that tenors have higher tension and those new Aquilas will not play in tune! I'm playing in B tuning right now because the strings stretch down a step! It could be I haven't adjusted the friction tuners to the sweet spot yet. I have Martin 620s on order and will put them on as soon as they get there.

Top Bottom