PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: New (Old) Uke Day

pdxuke
01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48028&d=1359148580

I found my vintage tenor here in PDX, thanks to the leads of fellow ukers. I purchased at my strike price, thanks to the advice of my uke negotiating guru. I have never really owned a tenor, except briefly an Ohana TK35, which is a great instrument, but I didn't like the neck.

This Martin is so darn comfortable to play. It literally HUMS when I strum it, and even though the new Aquilas keep going out of tune (Martin 620s and Worth Browns on order) I can tell what a beautiful, warm, rich sound these things have. I get it now. (Once I get strings that I'm happy with I'll post a strum sound sample.)

Funny how it has white buttons, but I know from the seller the uke was purchased from Hawaii, and maybe folks on the Island like white buttons instead of the black because of Bruddah Iz. :D

I'm told it's vintage 40s, and I believe it. The tuners, and other signs indicate that it's around that time. God, I love Martins from the 40s and 50s.

But the truth is, I just love playing Martins. They are such lovely instruments, from my OXK up to this 1-T. Next on the list is a Baritone. Someday a concert.

Thanks all for your help. It takes a village to raise my UAS.

Nicko
01-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Sa-weeeet!

davidrboy
01-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Where in our little town did you find a beauty like that?

pdxuke
01-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Where in our little town did you find a beauty like that?

Private Treaty. My uke elves spotted it on CL and immediately notified me. I sprang into action with the speed of a ninja, arranged a meeting, and--whamo. Mine.

HBolte
01-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Very nice! Enjoy.

pdxuke
01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Very nice! Enjoy.

Oh--you're next, H. can feeeel it. Vintage tenor in your future... :-)

hmgberg
01-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Congratulations! I don't own a tenor, but if I ever get a hankering, that's one I'd be looking at.

Doc_J
01-25-2013, 02:31 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=48028&d=1359148580

I found my vintage tenor here in PDX, thanks to the leads of fellow ukers. I purchased at my strike price, thanks to the advice of my uke negotiating guru. I have never really owned a tenor, except briefly an Ohana TK35, which is a great instrument, but I didn't like the neck.

This Martin is so darn comfortable to play. It literally HUMS when I strum it, and even though the new Aquilas keep going out of tune (Martin 620s and Worth Browns on order) I can tell what a beautiful, warm, rich sound these things have. I get it now. (Once I get strings that I'm happy with I'll post a strum sound sample.)

Funny how it has white buttons, but I know from the seller the uke was purchased from Hawaii, and maybe folks on the Island like white buttons instead of the black because of Bruddah Iz. :D

I'm told it's vintage 40s, and I believe it. The tuners, and other signs indicate that it's around that time. God, I love Martins from the 40s and 50s.

But the truth is, I just love playing Martins. They are such lovely instruments, from my OXK up to this 1-T. Next on the list is a Baritone. Someday a concert.

Thanks all for your help. It takes a village to raise my UAS.

Congratulations Thom!

Very nice addition to your ukes.

Can we hear this Martin sing?

pdxuke
01-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Congratulations Thom!

Very nice addition to your ukes.

Can we hear this Martin sing?

As soon as these new Aquila strings settle down. I haven't been able to keep them tuned for more than 60 seconds...

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-25-2013, 02:55 PM
That's the Beavertonian Martin, yeah? Cooooooooool.

Dan Uke
01-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Congrats...I gotta check CL more often...I almost bought a 1920s Martin w/ no cracks for $200 but couldn't go until after work. Some other guy called and told the seller he would go immediately so he sold it to him...that's just how CL works so I'm glad that you sprang into action with the speed of a ninja!

OldePhart
01-25-2013, 03:01 PM
I may have to start checking craig's list, too. I haven't purchased anything through CL for probably three or four years - got my 5-string bass that way though and I've been absolutely tickled with that deal. Not sure how I fell out of the habit of checking it.

Congrats on the Martin!

John

pdxuke
01-25-2013, 04:36 PM
That's the Beavertonian Martin, yeah? Cooooooooool.

It is indeed. (Bows deeply in your direction.)

kvehe
01-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Lucky you! Nice!

BIGDB
01-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Nice!!! Can you put a picture of the whole thing?

justinlcecil
01-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Can't wait to hear it. I will own a vintage martin ukulele some day.

dismount
01-26-2013, 02:34 AM
Congratulations! That is a very clean martin. Man those ukes are better than kids, you only pay for them once and you never mind if they never move away out of your house, and the older they get the better they sound!The only vintage martin I own is a 1T, 14 fret to the body and they have a ton of sustain. Phil

coolkayaker1
01-26-2013, 02:43 AM
Dude, that is off the hook!

I'm so glad you don't buy the other recent tenors you considered. You went for the gusto. This is a lifelong keeper.

It's so pretty. I've never seen a Martin vintage tenor before. Frictions, right?

Yes, please do post many other photos. And soundcloud file. Can you play the same as you did on soprano demo and put the file together back-to-back please with Martin soprano from same era (or just re-record them together). That'd be fun to hear in comparison and contrast of these two sizes from similar era playing same riff. Thanks

You da man! That is so precious.

uke552
01-26-2013, 04:23 AM
Very nice and congrats! There is magic in Martin's and I bet that one sounds like angels!

pdxuke
01-26-2013, 05:15 AM
Dude, that is off the hook!

I'm so glad you don't buy the other recent tenors you considered. You went for the gusto. This is a lifelong keeper.

It's so pretty. I've never seen a Martin vintage tenor before. Frictions, right?

Yes, please do post many other photos. And soundcloud file. Can you play the same as you did on soprano demo and put the file together back-to-back please with Martin soprano from same era (or just re-record them together). That'd be fun to hear in comparison and contrast of these two sizes from similar era playing same riff. Thanks

You da man! That is so precious.

Yes, I was shocked how clean it was when I saw it. Some dings on bass and treble sides, but front and back really nice.

Friction tuners, yes. Black and very pretty--remind me of the new GOTOH that are 4:1 in looks--GOTOH got it right.

I will do as you command, but first I have to get it playing in tune. I forgot that tenors have higher tension and those new Aquilas will not play in tune! I'm playing in B tuning right now because the strings stretch down a step! It could be I haven't adjusted the friction tuners to the sweet spot yet. I have Martin 620s on order and will put them on as soon as they get there.

pdxuke
01-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Congratulations! That is a very clean martin. Man those ukes are better than kids, you only pay for them once and you never mind if they never move away out of your house, and the older they get the better they sound!The only vintage martin I own is a 1T, 14 fret to the body and they have a ton of sustain. Phil

Hey Phil--

Yep, the sound is really lovely. And I finally understand the appeal of a tenor. Something about the combination of how Martin made the neck and the nut size makes it so comfortable to play.

pdxuke
01-26-2013, 05:23 AM
Can't wait to hear it. I will own a vintage martin ukulele some day.

I'm sure you will. When you think that a vintage 0 in good shape can be had for $500-800, and there are many to choose from, it is not a crazy dream at all. I paid $800 for my 0, nice and clean, and probably my best soprano sound wise:
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/33126/Extra.php

And they're still out there. Look:
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/40082/index.php

There's real value in Martins from the 50s and 60s. Good luck--and pictures when you find yours!

PatriciaPDX
01-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Wow, you scored a beauty! The only Martin I've seen in person is one someone in our West Hills group found in, I believe, her father-in-law's attic, and she felt moved to learn to play it (hadn't played any uke before). Restrung, it had a lovely, warm tone. Hope to own a vintage Martin myself one day! Yes, looking forward to a sound sample of yours!

pdxuke
01-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Wow, you scored a beauty! The only Martin I've seen in person is one someone in our West Hills group found in, I believe, her father-in-law's attic, and she felt moved to learn to play it (hadn't played any uke before). Restrung, it had a lovely, warm tone. Hope to own a vintage Martin myself one day! Yes, looking forward to a sound sample of yours!

I don't like the Aquilas that are on it now. Just doesn't suit the uke. I have Martins on order and Worth Browns. Whichever get here first I'll restring with, and then post a sample when they settle in.

Doc_J
01-26-2013, 09:48 AM
I don't like the Aquilas that are on it now. Just doesn't suit the uke. I have Martins on order and Worth Browns. Whichever get here first I'll restring with, and then post a sample when they settle in.

Interesting about the Aquilas on your Martin tenor. I recently got a Collings UT1 with Aquilas. It sounds fine with the Aquilas, but I think it would be better with some fluorocarbon strings. Nearly all my tenors have fluorocarbon strings (Worth or Savarez). Looking forward to hearing your Martin tenor with the proper strings.

Dan Uke
01-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Interesting about the Aquilas on your Martin tenor. I recently got a Collings UT1 with Aquilas. It sounds fine with the Aquilas, but I think it would be better with some fluorocarbon strings. Nearly all my tenors have fluorocarbon strings (Worth or Savarez). Looking forward to hearing your Martin tenor with the proper strings.

I had a UT-1 and they sounded really good with some Southcoast Light medium or whatever name they have now. Good luck to both of you to find the right strings

OldePhart
01-27-2013, 08:55 AM

I had Aquila low-G strings on my mahogany tenor and they sounded decent to me so I left them. Usually the first thing I do on a decent uke is get rid of the Aquilas in favor of fluorocarbon strings but I'd kind of "fallen into" this uke and I just viewed it as "my low-G tenor" when I'm not a fan of linear ukes anyway. It was sort of the idea that, "well, I'll leave this red-headed stepchild strung low G so when I need to do something that needs a linear tuning I'll use this one." Needless to say, it didn't get used much...

Anyway, a few days ago I decided to throw some heavy gage rentrant clear fluorocarbon strings on it and, holy cow, new uke. Makes my stomach a little queasy in that I almost sold it before trying the string change. Now, I can't say it's my favorite because it is still a tenor and nothing short of a hacksaw can change that - but it sure do sound purdy now and it's got the fastest "feel" of any of my ukes.

John

pdxuke
01-27-2013, 08:57 AM
I had Aquila low-G strings on my mahogany tenor and they sounded decent to me so I left them. Usually the first thing I do on a decent uke is get rid of the Aquilas in favor of fluorocarbon strings but I'd kind of "fallen into" this uke and I just viewed it as "my low-G tenor" when I'm not a fan of linear ukes anyway. It was sort of the idea that, "well, I'll leave this red-headed stepchild strung low G so when I need to do something that needs a linear tuning I'll use this one." Needless to say, it didn't get used much...

Anyway, a few days ago I decided to throw some heavy gage rentrant clear fluorocarbon strings on it and, holy cow, new uke. Makes my stomach a little queasy in that I almost sold it before trying the string change. Now, I can't say it's my favorite because it is still a tenor and nothing short of a hacksaw can change that - but it sure do sound purdy now and it's got the fastest "feel" of any of my ukes.

John

What reentrant strings did you use, John?

OldePhart
01-27-2013, 09:07 AM
What reentrant strings did you use, John?

They are Seaguar fishing leaders in exactly the same gages as what comes in a Worth CH set (i.e. you should get the same results from using Worth CH strings). The uke sounded good tuned to C with these strings - but is even better tuned to Bb - has a more open sound there and intonates better up the neck. That actually works out good for me as a lot of hymns I play were originally in Bb - having a uke tuned there is a plus when playing with others. :)

John

mm stan
01-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Congrats on your Martin Score...woo hoo I have martin fleurocarbons on now...always with dropped tuning.....do you have the thin fast neck style?

pdxuke
01-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Congrats on your Martin Score...woo hoo I have martin fleurocarbons on now...always with dropped tuning.....do you have the thin fast neck style?

I have nothing to compare the neck with beacuse I've never owned a tenor before. But the nut seems narrow and the neck really comfy so I'm guessing--yes. I have Martin 620s on order, can't wait to string them.

BTW, anybody know where I can get some black buttons? I'd rather have them than the white.