Kala pocket ukulele

Ben Mulleman

Reaction score
Greetings and salutations,

I know there have been quite a few threads about this ukulele, but I figured I'd start another one.

Mine came in the mail today, absolutely love the little blighter.
Hated the aquila strings though, I switched them out for a set of J65's.

Now my question is, is it really safe to tune it up to dgbe? I currently have the thing at cfad. I'm just worried I'll snap it in half if I tune it up to dgbe and leave it like that.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Greetings and salutations,

I know there have been quite a few threads about this ukulele, but I figured I'd start another one.

Mine came in the mail today, absolutely love the little blighter.
Hated the aquila strings though, I switched them out for a set of J65's.

Now my question is, is it really safe to tune it up to dgbe? I currently have the thing at cfad. I'm just worried I'll snap it in half if I tune it up to dgbe and leave it like that.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

I had one for a while - I kept it tuned CFAD because it sounded very pinched at DGBE. You would probably break strings before damaging the uke - it's pretty massively overbuilt for a small critter. In fact, when I first got mine without thinking I tried to tune it to GCEA (tuners actually sort of held though I had to cranke the screws down really tight) and I broke the A string. That was when I realized that they don't have extra light strings on it, just ordinary soprano strings, and I was trying to tune it an octave above a soprano :(

John

G & S to you as well, Ben.

We just added Extra Light Gauge sets (2 of them), for that exact application.

Hello,

Thank you for your replies, very helpful indeed!
I just tuned it up and it does sound very very thin.

I know alot of people say that it sounds horrid in c tuning.. But is there a way to string it with certain strings (like guitar strings?) so that it's possible to c tune it without the strings feeling like rubber bands?

Released at Namm is a thin Travel version of the pocket uke and it sounds the best of all the modeles of pockets i have i say...Yes pocket ukes can and should be tuned higher....can go almost 2-1/2 steps above gcea.

Top Bottom