Uke-SB?

KoaDependent

Reaction score
Just caught this on YouTube:

I wonder why nobody's thought to put a USB port in the preamp before. Wonder how well it will work, and whether that will become the new normal.

Here's another clip that shows some playback through an iPad.

Last edited:
"I wonder why nobody's thought to put a USB port in the preamp before"

What about Eleuke?

It is a pretty cool idea especially if it's in addition to a regular output jack. Would eliminate having to have a USB audio box hooked up to the computer like I do currently. I don't think I'd want it as the only output, though, as it would be a bit of a mess for live jamming through an amp.

John

How about allowing the transcription of tabs right through this baby? Would not have to buy the godin Multiuke...

I must be missing something, but why not just plug a mini-jack into the computer's audio input or through say a Griffin iMic (which you can then use for a variety of other applications)? If you're only using USB to transfer audio instead of adding serial metadata or such, then you might just as well use an audio cable... Or does it do more than that? Please explain, what am I missing?

It can do whatever you want. You can plug it into amp modeling software and get lots of effects, or whatever software recognizes USB instrument input. Meaning that yeah you can have a program that transcribes to notation. It just depends on the software.

But there are a lot of really great USB instrument inputs out there now, even starting at the 30 dollar range. And some of those also come with ios cables as well. My question is about the quality of the DAC, as compared to what's out there. This could be better, or much worse.

It doesn't seem to be something that's needed, unless you don't already have a uke with a pickup of course.

Also on newer macs, the headphone port doubles as the mic port. IMics aren't needed anymore.

It can do whatever you want. You can plug it into amp modeling software and get lots of effects, or whatever software recognizes USB instrument input. Meaning that yeah you can have a program that transcribes to notation. It just depends on the software.

But there are a lot of really great USB instrument inputs out there now, even starting at the 30 dollar range. And some of those also come with ios cables as well. My question is about the quality of the DAC, as compared to what's out there. This could be better, or much worse.

It doesn't seem to be something that's needed, unless you don't already have a uke with a pickup of course.

Also on newer macs, the headphone port doubles as the mic port. IMics aren't needed anymore.

Any such software that recognises USB input also recognises regular audio input, it's still just audio going through. For newer Macs, you can indeed just plug in the mini-jack into the mic/headphone port, but maybe they're targeting iPad users specifically and maybe these don't have audio in? I don't use iPads so I don't know. Even so, the cheapest USB-audio interfaces would work perfectly fine and they're small enough these days that they don't add any noticeable bulk.

Looks to me like this uke is just a tech novelty with no real added value compared to what is already out there. The only way I could see this USB connector be interesting is if you get to record your playing directly on a memory card, maybe get to edit it directly on the uke, then transfer the file to your computer later. Then it would make sense to have a USB port. Other than that, I don't see the point tbh.

Totally agree, more than anything it's for the play on words...

Any such software that recognises USB input also recognises regular audio input, it's still just audio going through. For newer Macs, you can indeed just plug in the mini-jack into the mic/headphone port, but maybe they're targeting iPad users specifically and maybe these don't have audio in? I don't use iPads so I don't know. Even so, the cheapest USB-audio interfaces would work perfectly fine and they're small enough these days that they don't add any noticeable bulk.

Looks to me like this uke is just a tech novelty with no real added value compared to what is already out there. The only way I could see this USB connector be interesting is if you get to record your playing directly on a memory card, maybe get to edit it directly on the uke, then transfer the file to your computer later. Then it would make sense to have a USB port. Other than that, I don't see the point tbh.

Just an attempt to be different.
In practicality, electric guitars are way ahead of ukuleles in terms of being geared up for live and studio use. If it isn't already an industry standard on guitars, don't expect anything like that on a Uke to be some sort of revolution.

If you want a "USB" ukulele, might as well make it a fully MIDI instrument. Otherwise there is absolutely no value in it having a USB output.

In practicality, electric guitars are way ahead of ukuleles in terms of being geared up for live and studio use. If it isn't already an industry standard on guitars, don't expect anything like that on a Uke to be some sort of revolution.

If you want a "USB" ukulele, might as well make it a fully MIDI instrument. Otherwise there is absolutely no value in it having a USB output.

Yup :agree:

I agree with you totally! MIDI rocks!

Petey

I was hoping the Godin Multiuke would have MIDI capabilities like its bigger brother the Multiac, but it doesn't look like it does (yet).
(Multiac = great nylon guitar btw, my cousin has been playing it for many years, it sounds amazing and is great for the stage. Top canadian quality!)

I was hoping the Godin Multiuke would have MIDI capabilities like its bigger brother the Multiac, but it doesn't look like it does (yet).
(Multiac = great nylon guitar btw, my cousin has been playing it for many years, it sounds amazing and is great for the stage. Top canadian quality!)

I wonder what the price is going to be. Is it going to be competitive with the solid (hollowed) body Ko'olaus, or will it price itself out of reasonableness?

I'm still waiting on a fully MIDI uke to be in production.
Played like a uke, but output is like that of a synth.

Things like this exist for guitars, but having one in the dimensions of a uke (and 4 stringed) would be absolutely awesome.

Top Bottom