Bushman Jenny Tenor or Gretsch Deluxe 9120-sm tenor

aloha888

Reaction score
Hi,
Just found this site. What a worth of information. I'm a newbie and looking to buy my first ukulele. It is down to either a 2005 Bushman Jenny Tenor or a new Gretsch deluxe (all solid) 9120-sm tenor. They are both close in price. I would appreciate any input.

I might expand my search, perhaps trying an Islander or used gear, but given the choice... Gretsch. Bushman Jennys had some trouble a few years back. I'm sure Google could fill you in on that.

I might expand my search, perhaps trying an Islander or used gear, but given the choice... Gretsch. Bushman Jennys had some trouble a few years back. I'm sure Google could fill you in on that.

Thanks Tiger for you input. These are both used, well the Gretsch is very slightly used. This Bushman was built in 2005, so does that mean it is built better than newer models. The price seems good for either, $130. This more than i wanted to spend on my first uke but after doing research I wanted a solid wood uke.

Welcome to the UU forums...
I too think a few bucks more will get you a more better uke...look into mainlands, KPK, vineyards, Makai....
Happy Strummings....

I don't know about the tenor you are looking at, but I have had two concert Bushman Jenny's and a Jenny Baritone of that 2005 era and they are excellent to my ears. Sold one concert, keeping the other concert and baritone. Will sell my Howlett tenor before I sell the Bushman concert for I enjoy the more mellow mahogany tone.
I believe the problem with the Bushman ukes dealt was with relationships with Mr. Hall, the owner, not the ukes.

Welcome to the UU forums...
I too think a few bucks more will get you a more better uke...look into mainlands, KPK, vineyards, Makai....
Happy Strummings....

I agree, as usual, with Stan. For another 75 doll hairs or so, you can have a new uke under warranty. Warranties are good, as ukes can be fickle.

Some people rely on gossip and some on their ears. Whatever the problems with the company, Bushman ukes were very nice and compare to any Kala, Ohana, Lanikai, Mainland of similar price. I have all of the aforementioned and a wonderful Bushman baritone, and a Kanilea. Go for the Bushman. They're rare these days and will become rarer. They are light and have fast thin necks if that's what you like. My experience is that the better ukes are lighter and vibrate more because they are.

Thanks Tiger for you input. These are both used, well the Gretsch is very slightly used. This Bushman was built in 2005, so does that mean it is built better than newer models. The price seems good for either, $130. This more than i wanted to spend on my first uke but after doing research I wanted a solid wood uke.

I would question the condition of the Gretsch G9120-sm at $130.00. The instrument sells for $279.00 new. Are you certain it is only "slightly used" ?

What if you have bald dolls?

I agree, as usual, with Stan. For another 75 doll hairs or so, you can have a new uke under warranty. Warranties are good, as ukes can be fickle.

I would agree with the others. I have the 9121 which I picked up for $199.00 bucks new (when it first was released from someone online) and I think it's my biggest bang for the buck and great sound but if your price is around the 250-275 range or around there, I would save a few more bucks (not a ton) and you can move into a really nice new uke with warranty. I do think Islanders are pretty nice for the price as I played a bunch of them last year and was pretty impressed at the sound.

Good luck and tell us what you ended up getting!

Cheers!

Hi,
Just found this site. What a worth of information. I'm a newbie and looking to buy my first ukulele. It is down to either a 2005 Bushman Jenny Tenor or a new Gretsch deluxe (all solid) 9120-sm tenor. They are both close in price. I would appreciate any input.

I have a Bushman spruce/rosewood soprano built in 2008 and I love it. Cleanly built and loud, just a lovely little instrument.

I would question the condition of the Gretsch G9120-sm at $130.00. The instrument sells for $279.00 new. Are you certain it is only "slightly used" ?

He is about 30 min from me so if I decide to buy it I can see it first. Since I'm a newbie, hopefully I will be able to tell if it is in good condition and the setup is nice.

Top Bottom