Martin Style O Information Requested

farmmich

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Attached are pictures of my wife's grandfather's Ukulele. From research on the web I think it may be a Martin Style "O" pre-1962, but I'm looking for some expert opinions. If possible we are also looking for an estimate of its value. We may sell it as we are needing to move from MI to TN for a job relocation.

Thanks.
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 47
For real world prices, check Elderly, ebay, and ????? Elderly will give you an estimated offer if you send them pics, for a rough idea. They usually have several for sale.

Hello Everyone,

Attached are pictures of my wife's grandfather's Ukulele. From research on the web I think it may be a Martin Style "O" pre-1962, but I'm looking for some expert opinions. If possible we are also looking for an estimate of its value. We may sell it as we are needing to move from MI to TN for a job relocation.

Thanks.
Tom

also check out the flea market music website. there is a local expert there that gives pretty good advice on vinatge ukuleles.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks.
Tom

also check out the flea market music website. there is a local expert there that gives pretty good advice on vinatge ukuleles.

I'm not an expert but I would say those tuners probably push the date back before WWII.
If it is in good shape with no cracks or damage the ukulele could be worth $600-800.
For a really good age estimate of its age head on over to the four sting farmhouse http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/forums/8/The-FourString-Farmhouse#.UQRUXL9EGSo where they specialize in vintage Martin ukuleles. They will want to see a good picture of the side of the frets and the tuners for an accurate date, but with old Martins you can usually only pin the date down to a 10-15 year period.
I have a very similar ukulele and I LOVE it!

I can't tell by the pictures really about condition. Dating is hard to tell. It could be as early as 30s, but after 1932. There is a trick with bar frets or no bar frets, and others can weigh in.

If it is really clean and in good condition, I would also value it at between $600-800. That would be my guess.

If you want to sell it in a heartbeat, offer it here at $550 and I imagine it will be gone in a day.

But Tom, I want to encourage you, if you can, to keep it in the family. You may have a uke player somewhere (or someday) and what a prize!

Last edited:
I can't tell by the pictures really about condition. Dating is hard to tell. It could be as early as 30s, but after 1932. There is a trick with bar frets or no bar frets, and others can weigh in.

If it is really clean and in good condition, I would also value it at between $600-800. That would be my guess.

If you want to sell it in a heartbeat, offer it here at $550 and I imagine it will be gone in a day.

But Tom, I want to encourage you, if you can, to keep it in the family. You may have a uke player somewhere (or someday) and what a prize!

This^ ^ ^ ^:agree:

Hello Everyone,

Thanks.
Tom

Realistically? I'd say $500 - $650 tops.

Realistically? I'd say $500 - $650 tops.

I just bought one last week 1940 and identical to original poster's photos but with one easily repairable back crack for $300. I compared it to many on my shopping list that were going for around 500 or so, no cracks.

Garyg had one two weeks ago on UU Market that was superb, circa 1935, for 600, no takers, reduced it to 550, no takers, went to eVay and got 510 for it (I know, because I was in communication with him on it).

So, I think Duane is right: if truly pristine, 500 to 600 clams.

It is a style O, so have to stay realistic. Unless strapped for cash, as someone wrote, save it...it'll be valued by someone in your family forever.

Last edited:
I just bought one last week identical to original poster's photos but with one easily repairable back crack for $300. I compared it to many on my shopping list that were going for around 500 or so, no cracks.

Garyg had one two weeks ago on UU Market that was superb for 600, no takers, reduced it to 550, no takers, went to eVay and got 510 for it (I know, because I was in communication with him on it).

So, I think Duane is right: if truly pristine, 500 to 600 clams.

It is a style O, so have to stay realistic.

I'd like to revise my estimate and agree with the figure above, but lean towards $600ish. It's been a while since I bought my 0 and it was at the height of the uke craze and I paid a premium for the super clean uke. I mean absolutely nary a scratch. I was looking at Gryphon just now, who tends to have a pretty good eye on market, and they have a pretty clean 0 at $600.

Top Bottom