Mexican Martin

bass5snake

Reaction score
Just tried a Mexican Martin ukelele. The best uke I've played so far. I'm a novice but I think I'd want one as an anniversary gift. ;)

I also thought all Martin products and made in America.

Richie

Just tried a Mexican Martin ukelele. The best uke I've played so far. I'm a novice but I think I'd want one as an anniversary gift. ;)

I also thought all Martin products and made in America.

Richie

Hi Richie:

There are quite a few fans of the Mexican built Martins here, myself included. They are fine ukes, if you like the Martin sound. Some will argue they are overpriced, but....a Martin is a Martin is a Martin.

I'm a fan of the Mexican Martins. The OXK and S1 and T1K are great.

Pedro Bosque

Thanks pdx. Yeah they are pricey. But they are not as expensive as their acoustic guitars. I think I can save up money and get a $400 Martin. :)

Also, are there any similar to Martin out there? In terms of playability and sound? But less expensive. A "poor man's Martin" shall we say?

I've got the Mexican Martin Guitar DX1 AE and I swear it has that classic Martin sound! I have played it alongside Martins that cost three times as much and think it holds its own just fine! Plus, arguably, as the main body and the neck are made of a composite material, it is also more ecologically sound ;)

Thanks pdx. Yeah they are pricey. But they are not as expensive as their acoustic guitars. I think I can save up money and get a $400 Martin. :)

Also, are there any similar to Martin out there? In terms of playability and sound? But less expensive. A "poor man's Martin" shall we say?

Well, a Martin is a Martin. But...

The Ohana SK38 is a wonderful soprano. It was modeled after Martin. It is good, very good, but the S1 sounds like a mahogany Martin to me. Although in a recent test I did, the S1 and the SK38 were pretty popular.

Anyway, I can absolutely recommend the SK38 from Ohana. Under $300, I think.

Al igual que Pedro me gusta mucho mi ukelele Mexicano Martin S1. Ha hecho muy bien.

Me thinks not. Buy a *new* one from Long and McQuade for $360+ tax. I bought all of my high-end Martin ukes from them (except the cherry). You don't have to order online with them. You can call the store, make a deposit and pick it up at the store. I do that all the time. They email me when the uke is in.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/product...olk_Instruments/Martin_Guitars/S1_Ukulele.htm

Petey

Last edited:
I hope you'll be getting your Martin soon. It even smells good!

Probably April would be the latest. My wife would probably help me buy it. Hehe.

I suggest making sure it is setup before leaving the store. I'd go with the Martin anytime.

Thanks for the tip! I always check if it's set up right. I always do this when I buy new basses.

Martin has made instruments in Mexico for a number of years. I think the Backpacker was the first. Now most if not all of their HPL guitars are made there and they just started making a solid wood Dread there as well.
I have one of the SO mahogany sopranos and love it. My understanding was there were some decent ones and some clunkers. I guess I lucked out. I've been a long-time Martin guitar fan so my opinion might be a bit prejudiced. I have a 1951 all mahogany 00-17 and a fairly recent limited edition all mahogany OM-15. Never cared for the whole HPL concept.

I'd recommend the soprano S1. You can't go wrong with that.

Petey

:agree:
I love mine. I went back to the same shop today to buy a C1K. Fresh out. Whew! That was a close call!

Top Bottom