Aquila Red Series string demo

LifesShort

Reaction score
Today, I found time to do a quick comparison of the new Aquila Red Series string to the Living Waters that I have been using. I did two quick videos; one of each string type. Please excuse the sloppy playing. For some reason, I get really nervous once the camera comes on. The LW strings are about two weeks old and sound very nice. I love the crystal clear, bell-like ring of the LWs. They also have rest sustain. They are definitely brighter than the Aquilas.

I really like the new Aquilas. They are much more mellow than the LWs. They are very stretchy when first installed. As stretchy as they were, I wondered if they would ever stay in tune. It only took a few minutes, though, to get them to the point where they would stay in tune long enough to play a little. I had only had them installed about 20 minutes when I made the video. I'm not a fan of nylguts, but I do like these. I think they are a little louder than the LWs.

The only negative for me is that they don't seem to have great intonation as you move up the neck. To be fair, though, they were still stretching when I did this. I'm sure they will get better in a day or two.

Enough talking. Here are the videos. The LW demo is first followed by the Aquila demo in the next message due to the 1 video per message limit.

Test of Living Waters ukulele strings

Your playing was good, no apology necessary. Both sets of strings sound good. I couldn't pick a favorite.

Your playing was good, no apology necessary. Both sets of strings sound good. I couldn't pick a favorite.

Thanks for the compliment. For me, there is nuclear winner. The Aquila are getting better as they settle. I am really liking them.

Thanks for doing a before and after video! Wish I had thought to do that with mine.

Hopefully have my video up tomorrow. I definitely like the Reds more after a night of jamming with friends. They are holding tune well now and seem to get brigher as they settle in. Mellower then the D'addario's they replaced for sure but livelier then the "regular" white Aquilas.

Top Bottom