Chinese uke factories and the brands they make

Tigeralum2001

Reaction score
Is there a list of import brands that are made in the same factory? It would be interesting to see that Brand X is made by the same people that make brand Y.

Is there a list of import brands that are made in the same factory? It would be interesting to see that Brand X is made by the same people that make brand Y.

BRILLIANT question! I've been admiring the 'Hanknn' range of Ukes - especially the 'Spalted Maple' concert http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hanknn-All-...ts_Sting_Instruments&var=&hash=item6b22591468

Given that there can only be a finite number of factories producing all the 'Far Eastern' manufactured instruments, surely a good number of the 'proper' Uke brands must be using the same factories?

Would love to know if anyone has the facts on this........it could be (Quality)UAS on the cheap! :cool:

This a question that cannot have an answer.
The asian ukulele producer is part of the know how of each western brand. No one has interest that
People knows we're they made ukuleles. There are back business and marketing strategies.
As we are string producer, expecially for the Asian factory I can tell you a few of things safeguarding the privacy of the brands. Yes, in same cases the Same factory produce ukulele for different brands. The bigger brands make ukuleles with different factories. One, for the top quality, another one for entering levele and so on. Sometime the western brands change the Asian manufacturer because the quality is not ok, sometime because they were not honest or something else in matter of the quality of the instrument, prices etc
When the brands contact is for strings etc they put very clear that they're own Asian manufacturer informations must be keep assuring a great deal of safety. You see: it is not very welcome if a competitor discover were a certain very good instrument is done
Sorry for my bad English
Mimmo

Just for fun go to alibaba.com and search for ukulele! An eye opener.

Mimmo is correct,

most factories have a confidentiality agreement, although in practise some factories do release that info. But, would you purchase from an unethical factory?

Terence

This a question that cannot have an answer.
The asian ukulele producer is part of the know how of each western brand. No one has interest that
People knows we're they made ukuleles. There are back business and marketing strategies.
As we are string producer, expecially for the Asian factory I can tell you a few of things safeguarding the privacy of the brands. Yes, in same cases the Same factory produce ukulele for different brands. The bigger brands make ukuleles with different factories. One, for the top quality, another one for entering levele and so on. Sometime the western brands change the Asian manufacturer because the quality is not ok, sometime because they were not honest or something else in matter of the quality of the instrument, prices etc
When the brands contact is for strings etc they put very clear that they're own Asian manufacturer informations must be keep assuring a great deal of safety. You see: it is not very welcome if a competitor discover were a certain very good instrument is done
Sorry for my bad English
Mimmo

Thanks mimmo. I suspected this would be the answer.

Anthony

I've seen speculation about this topic on an ongoing basis, and it's often incorrect. Mimmo made a lot of good points, but there is even more to it than that. We've had factories make false claims that they manufactured our ukes to try to get business. Other outfits farm out orders to whatever factory gives them the best deal at the time. Sometimes factories change hands and change workers, so quality either improves or declines. Seldom do companies tell you when they change suppliers. And in regards to Alibaba, good luck and let the buyer beware.

We've had factories make false claims that they manufactured our ukes to try to get business. Other outfits farm out orders to whatever factory gives them the best deal at the time. Sometimes factories change hands and change workers, so quality either improves or declines. Seldom do companies tell you when they change suppliers.
All good points. So wouldn't more transparency be a good thing? We all know that the Chinese have little-to-no respect for Intellectual Property. I imagine if I were a using them to manufacture a product and I found another factory claiming they were manufacturing it, I would want to know. Judging by comments from those at NAMM, this information should not be hard to come by.

In the electronics world it is not a mystery. Apple products are mostly made by Foxconn, etc.

And in regards to Alibaba, good luck and let the buyer beware.
Exactly. It was eye-opening to look around there. For slightly more I can obtain the real-deal from a trusted retailer. Precisely why I wouldn't buy a generic Mainland or Pono (or insert-brand-here) from said factory/factory outlet.

Along with previous points...
If a factory makes for more than one company it does not make the quality the same. Better makers have individual specs and requirements and some go further.
Kala now has a luthier go and approve each shipment from their factories. Tell them what to improve etc. In spite of the plethora of brands now, this will go to preserve their quality and loyalty.
Pono is a very small, exclusive, climate controlled shop in Indonesia. My dad goes to Indonesia for a few weeks every three months and works with them and approves each instrument being shipped. It is very much a custom shop and you can order one offs
Above all, go for advice from those who know, deal with stores that QC, and don't buy a cheap no name you can't play just because it looks like another model from a known maker.

Last edited:
And in regards to Alibaba, good luck and let the buyer beware.

When I said sweet deal, I meant you're also taking on the role of importer. You have to judge build quality and specs from long distance, deliver payment, pay the fees to get it through Customs and forwarding, and once you receive it you have to deal with intonation, fit and finish and setup. If not as advertised you'll have to find someone to send it back to for a replacement. I didn't say it was easy.

I've always told a beginner to patronize a dealer with a good reputation.

All good points. So wouldn't more transparency be a good thing? We all know that the Chinese have little-to-no respect for Intellectual Property. I imagine if I were a using them to manufacture a product and I found another factory claiming they were manufacturing it, I would want to know. Judging by comments from those at NAMM, this information should not be hard to come by.

I can see your concern, it'd be a bummer if someone tried to save a few bucks buying a knock off instead of buying from a reputable dealer and then they got a dud from those inscrupulous Chinese.

When I said sweet deal, I meant you're also taking on the role of importer. You have to judge build quality and specs from long distance, deliver payment, pay the fees to get it through Customs and forwarding, and once you receive it you have to deal with intonation, fit and finish and setup. If not as advertised you'll have to find someone to send it back to for a replacement. I didn't say it was easy.

I've always told a beginner to patronize a dealer with a good reputation.

Alibaba seems to have the same amount of oversight as Craig's list. I'm going to start selling unicorns as soon as I find a good photo to copy and paste.

Top Bottom