PDA

View Full Version : Chinese uke factories and the brands they make

Tigeralum2001
01-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Is there a list of import brands that are made in the same factory? It would be interesting to see that Brand X is made by the same people that make brand Y.

ChaosToo
01-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Is there a list of import brands that are made in the same factory? It would be interesting to see that Brand X is made by the same people that make brand Y.

BRILLIANT question! I've been admiring the 'Hanknn' range of Ukes - especially the 'Spalted Maple' concert http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hanknn-All-Spalted-Maple-Concert-Ukulele-Aquila-String-Ablone-Binding-/160927848524?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instr uments&var=&hash=item6b22591468

Given that there can only be a finite number of factories producing all the 'Far Eastern' manufactured instruments, surely a good number of the 'proper' Uke brands must be using the same factories?

Would love to know if anyone has the facts on this........it could be (Quality)UAS on the cheap! :cool:

mimmo
01-26-2013, 10:21 PM
This a question that cannot have an answer.
The asian ukulele producer is part of the know how of each western brand. No one has interest that
People knows we're they made ukuleles. There are back business and marketing strategies.
As we are string producer, expecially for the Asian factory I can tell you a few of things safeguarding the privacy of the brands. Yes, in same cases the Same factory produce ukulele for different brands. The bigger brands make ukuleles with different factories. One, for the top quality, another one for entering levele and so on. Sometime the western brands change the Asian manufacturer because the quality is not ok, sometime because they were not honest or something else in matter of the quality of the instrument, prices etc
When the brands contact is for strings etc they put very clear that they're own Asian manufacturer informations must be keep assuring a great deal of safety. You see: it is not very welcome if a competitor discover were a certain very good instrument is done
Sorry for my bad English
Mimmo

ukemunga
01-27-2013, 02:03 AM
Just for fun go to alibaba.com and search for ukulele! An eye opener.

seneystretch
01-27-2013, 02:13 AM
Just for fun go to alibaba.com and search for ukulele! An eye opener.

The sister retail site for quantity one purchases is aliexpress.com . Sweet deals for a tablet or a uke.

pakhan
01-27-2013, 02:15 AM
Mimmo is correct,

most factories have a confidentiality agreement, although in practise some factories do release that info. But, would you purchase from an unethical factory?

Terence

anthonyg
01-27-2013, 02:29 AM
This a question that cannot have an answer.
The asian ukulele producer is part of the know how of each western brand. No one has interest that
People knows we're they made ukuleles. There are back business and marketing strategies.
As we are string producer, expecially for the Asian factory I can tell you a few of things safeguarding the privacy of the brands. Yes, in same cases the Same factory produce ukulele for different brands. The bigger brands make ukuleles with different factories. One, for the top quality, another one for entering levele and so on. Sometime the western brands change the Asian manufacturer because the quality is not ok, sometime because they were not honest or something else in matter of the quality of the instrument, prices etc
When the brands contact is for strings etc they put very clear that they're own Asian manufacturer informations must be keep assuring a great deal of safety. You see: it is not very welcome if a competitor discover were a certain very good instrument is done
Sorry for my bad English
Mimmo

Thanks mimmo. I suspected this would be the answer.

Anthony

teruterubouzu
01-27-2013, 04:59 AM
The sister retail site for quantity one purchases is aliexpress.com . Sweet deals for a tablet or a uke.

Thanks for posting this. I am enjoying the English translations of the names. Might have to comparison shop, but I see that "girl beautiful wonderful time's store" has the bright yellow ukulele case I've been coveting (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Glazed-steel-guitar-box-fiberglass-ukulele-case-concert-size/661959016.html#).

ukuhippo
01-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Not the answer to the op's question, but I always liked this database for ukulele brands

http://database.ukulelecorner.org.uk/abc

hoosierhiver
01-27-2013, 06:32 AM
I've seen speculation about this topic on an ongoing basis, and it's often incorrect. Mimmo made a lot of good points, but there is even more to it than that. We've had factories make false claims that they manufactured our ukes to try to get business. Other outfits farm out orders to whatever factory gives them the best deal at the time. Sometimes factories change hands and change workers, so quality either improves or declines. Seldom do companies tell you when they change suppliers. And in regards to Alibaba, good luck and let the buyer beware.

sukie
01-27-2013, 06:54 AM
Thanks for posting this. I am enjoying the English translations of the names. Might have to comparison shop, but I see that "girl beautiful wonderful time's store" has the bright yellow ukulele case I've been coveting (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Glazed-steel-guitar-box-fiberglass-ukulele-case-concert-size/661959016.html#).

I was pokin around there and could not find any dimensions. Am I missing something?

Tigeralum2001
01-27-2013, 07:13 AM
We've had factories make false claims that they manufactured our ukes to try to get business. Other outfits farm out orders to whatever factory gives them the best deal at the time. Sometimes factories change hands and change workers, so quality either improves or declines. Seldom do companies tell you when they change suppliers.
All good points. So wouldn't more transparency be a good thing? We all know that the Chinese have little-to-no respect for Intellectual Property. I imagine if I were a using them to manufacture a product and I found another factory claiming they were manufacturing it, I would want to know. Judging by comments from those at NAMM, this information should not be hard to come by.

In the electronics world it is not a mystery. Apple products are mostly made by Foxconn, etc.

And in regards to Alibaba, good luck and let the buyer beware.
Exactly. It was eye-opening to look around there. For slightly more I can obtain the real-deal from a trusted retailer. Precisely why I wouldn't buy a generic Mainland or Pono (or insert-brand-here) from said factory/factory outlet.

Skrik
01-27-2013, 07:38 AM
I think I may have found out who makes some of Makala's ukuleles. (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/491010174/fish_bridge_color_ukulele.html)

pdxuke
01-27-2013, 07:45 AM
I think I may have found out who makes some of Makala's ukuleles. (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/491010174/fish_bridge_color_ukulele.html)

Uh...not necessarily.

I can go down to Chinatown in Manhattan and get you a bunch of Rolex watches for ten bucks each. I doubt they're made in the Rolex factory. It's nothing for a factory to grab the design and manufacture a dolphin clone. I'm surprised it's not trademarked, but I'm not sure China cares about trademarks.

Skrik
01-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Hey! (http://dfyq.en.alibaba.com/product/491007680-201048099/Applique_style_Ukulele.html)

Bloody cheek!

AndrewKuker
01-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Along with previous points...
If a factory makes for more than one company it does not make the quality the same. Better makers have individual specs and requirements and some go further.
Kala now has a luthier go and approve each shipment from their factories. Tell them what to improve etc. In spite of the plethora of brands now, this will go to preserve their quality and loyalty.
Pono is a very small, exclusive, climate controlled shop in Indonesia. My dad goes to Indonesia for a few weeks every three months and works with them and approves each instrument being shipped. It is very much a custom shop and you can order one offs
Above all, go for advice from those who know, deal with stores that QC, and don't buy a cheap no name you can't play just because it looks like another model from a known maker.

seneystretch
01-27-2013, 08:02 AM

When I said sweet deal, I meant you're also taking on the role of importer. You have to judge build quality and specs from long distance, deliver payment, pay the fees to get it through Customs and forwarding, and once you receive it you have to deal with intonation, fit and finish and setup. If not as advertised you'll have to find someone to send it back to for a replacement. I didn't say it was easy.

I've always told a beginner to patronize a dealer with a good reputation.

pdxuke
01-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Yes, this route is not for a retail customer. Unless you want to start a uke company:cool:, stay with good retail dealers.

hoosierhiver
01-27-2013, 09:49 AM
All good points. So wouldn't more transparency be a good thing? We all know that the Chinese have little-to-no respect for Intellectual Property. I imagine if I were a using them to manufacture a product and I found another factory claiming they were manufacturing it, I would want to know. Judging by comments from those at NAMM, this information should not be hard to come by.

I can see your concern, it'd be a bummer if someone tried to save a few bucks buying a knock off instead of buying from a reputable dealer and then they got a dud from those inscrupulous Chinese.

hoosierhiver
01-27-2013, 09:51 AM
When I said sweet deal, I meant you're also taking on the role of importer. You have to judge build quality and specs from long distance, deliver payment, pay the fees to get it through Customs and forwarding, and once you receive it you have to deal with intonation, fit and finish and setup. If not as advertised you'll have to find someone to send it back to for a replacement. I didn't say it was easy.

I've always told a beginner to patronize a dealer with a good reputation.

Alibaba seems to have the same amount of oversight as Craig's list. I'm going to start selling unicorns as soon as I find a good photo to copy and paste.

ukemunga
01-27-2013, 09:57 AM

Couldn't agree more. I wasn't advocating by any means, just saying it's interesting, especially to anyone unaware of it. I have imported items wholesale from Chinese suppliers found on Ailbaba and elsewhere... 'nuff said.

OldePhart
01-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Alibaba seems to have the same amount of oversight as Craig's list. I'm going to start selling unicorns as soon as I find a good photo to copy and paste.48120
Here you go, Mike...

Tigeralum2001
01-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Alibaba seems to have the same amount of oversight as Craig's list. I'm going to start selling unicorns as soon as I find a good photo to copy and paste.

Does that mean I can quote you on the Unicorn Mainland? Would it be competing with the Makala Dolphin or more along the lines of the Honu from Big Island Ukulele? :)

haolejohn
01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Along with previous points...
If a factory makes for more than one company it does not make the quality the same. Better makers have individual specs and requirements and some go further.
Kala now has a luthier go and approve each shipment from their factories. Tell them what to improve etc. In spite of the plethora of brands now, this will go to preserve their quality and loyalty.
Pono is a very small, exclusive, climate controlled shop in Indonesia. My dad goes to Indonesia for a few weeks every three months and works with them and approves each instrument being shipped. It is very much a custom shop and you can order one offs
Above all, go for advice from those who know, deal with stores that QC, and don't buy a cheap no name you can't play just because it looks like another model from a known maker.
Andrew, when did you guys shift production back to indonesia? Or did y'all never leave indonesia?

hoosierhiver
01-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Does that mean I can quote you on the Unicorn Mainland? Would it be competing with the Makala Dolphin or more along the lines of the Honu from Big Island Ukulele? :)

maybe a Narwhale?

AndrewKuker
01-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Andrew, when did you guys shift production back to indonesia? Or did y'all never leave indonesia?

Originally it was in a factory in Indonesia that was not humidity controlled and my dad was over there all the time pulling his hair out to get things right. Then he set up a shop in the far north China very far from where 99% of china production happens. These were better but a few years ago he discovered a small group of guitar builders in Indonesia building guitars. Very professional builders with humidity control and a higher skill level. All production has been there for about a year and a half. Very different from the first factory. The QC issues have gotten to be very few but he still goes and approves each shipment and brings them specialty tools and implements new jigs and techniques. I think if he had not found this new shop he would have given up by now. I am sure it seems I am bias but I honestly feel that he has the best import at this point, from the gazillions here. Props to Kamaka for not even trying. It's a frustrating endevour.

hawaii 50
01-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Originally it was in a factory in Indonesia that was not humidity controlled and my dad was over there all the time pulling his hair out to get things right. Then he set up a shop in the far north China very far from where 99% of china production happens. These were better but a few years ago he discovered a small group of guitar builders in Indonesia building guitars. Very professional builders with humidity control and a higher skill level. All production has been there for about a year and a half. Very different from the first factory. The QC issues have gotten to be very few but he still goes and approves each shipment and brings them specialty tools and implements new jigs and techniques. I think if he had not found this new shop he would have given up by now. I am sure it seems I am bias but I honestly feel that he has the best import at this point, from the gazillions here. Props to Kamaka for not even trying. It's a frustrating endevour.

Yeah Andrew..i know Uke42 from the UU and he is a big Pono fan..and Kanilea..plus he can play so that helps Haha

he loves his Pono's and i got to seem them..The Pono's have a great fit and finish and the sound/tone very nice..hard to beat for a non-hawaiian made uke

looks like you pulled your hair out at Namm2013

Plainsong
01-27-2013, 01:26 PM
As for finding out where the factories are and where the materials come from and who the workers are, good luck with that. The lack of this information is having zero impact on buying patterns, and while that continues there will be no change. Maybe if you start posting messages like: "I wont buy a Kala or Ohana until I get full disclosure" and actually followed up with a lack of buying action, you will precipitate a change.

I think you'd get flamed for rocking the boat and not being positive, more than anything else, here. Not that I don't agree. It's why I feel so bad for keeping the sk38, I really do. Of course it's difficult to impossible to keep exploitation of people who made your stuff, completely out of our lives. And that's always the rationalization that people throw back at you when you try. "Your phone was made on slave wages, so who do YOU think you are, giving a crap about anything else?"

Well, I'm no one really. But if in some products I have a choice to not buy something that exploits its workforce... I'm gonna take advantage of it. Not all outsourced cheaper labor is treated badly. Pono, Koalana, and Risa, I'm looking in your direction. I add Risa to that list because some products are made elsewhere in Europe...but still under EU directives. Koalana has videos of its factory, and info on Pono is easy to find even in this thread. Islander might also belong in this column.

But anyway, if I have a choice, I'll exercise that, no matter if some of the outsourced brands have representives on the forums. No matter that someone will retort "Well you're stoopid because this or that part was made elsewhere! You shouldn't care!" Oh well. I don't care where it was made as much as in what conditions.

I have one rebranded uke left. I've bought plenty others, but it was a factor in not keeping them. As long as factory conditions stay hush-hush and hidden, it will remain a factor in my decision as to what to buy in the future.

Kevin B
01-27-2013, 03:44 PM
The Lardy's web site will give you some information on the factories that rebrand for different people who get their own decals and logos put on. See this sample page https://sites.google.com/site/ukulelemakers/d/rally

Plainsong
01-27-2013, 03:58 PM
The Lardy's web site will give you some information on the factories that rebrand for different people who get their own decals and logos put on. See this sample page https://sites.google.com/site/ukulelemakers/d/rally

The makers seem to have protected their identities very well for Kala, Mainland, and Ohana.

pdxuke
01-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Everyone has a right to spend their money where their personal sense of ethics demands. And I'm not in favor of exploiting workers. But I'm also not in favor of jumping to any conclusions about companies like Ohana, Kala, etc, because they do not disclose where their factories are in China. There could be trade reasons for that, not ethical reasons. Until I see some proof that these companies are exploiting workers...

I seem to be hearing that an assumption is being made that because the factories that make those brands are not giving out that information, there is some unethical treatment of workers going on. But we don't know that. And so, for myself, I will not assume that. Others may have a different reaction, and again, do what you think right. But I needed to express this point of view just to present another possibility.

Plainsong
01-27-2013, 09:41 PM
The hypothesis that perhaps there's some ethical concerns here, comes from the fact that they are hiding something. Those of us that have this concern, we didn't pull it out of the air. There's some justification for it. We've seen it in just about every other industry. Does that mean it's happening in the music world? Well, we don't know for sure. But what we do know is that we are not allowed to know where the ukes come from.

Everyone has a right to spend their money where their personal sense of ethics demands. And I'm not in favor of exploiting workers. But I'm also not in favor of jumping to any conclusions about companies like Ohana, Kala, etc, because they do not disclose where their factories are in China. There could be trade reasons for that, not ethical reasons. Until I see some proof that these companies are exploiting workers...

I seem to be hearing that an assumption is being made that because the factories that make those brands are not giving out that information, there is some unethical treatment of workers going on. But we don't know that. And so, for myself, I will not assume that. Others may have a different reaction, and again, do what you think right. But I needed to express this point of view just to present another possibility.

Nicko
01-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Here you go, Mike...

Don't let OldePhart deceive you, Mike. His unicorn is fraudulent. Here's the genuine article! Trust me.

Lalz
01-28-2013, 05:46 AM
It seems to me that there is a world of difference between brands that just pick up models they like from whatever chinese factories they come across and just stick their labels on it, and those that have their own design and look carefully for the right people (in China or elsewhere) to make the uke parts for them at a low cost, making the final set-up themselves. I tend to believe that the first type couldn't care less about working conditions at the factories they work with, while the others would most likely make sure they're not working with sweat shops. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

In other industries, take the example of IKEA for example: People can say all they want about the evilness of flat-packed furniture, warehouses etc (I happen to like them quite a lot though), but I've heard from very reliable sources at the ILO (International Labour Office) that they are among the very best multinationals of their scale to make sure that all their workers (from designers, to warehouse workers to Chinese factory workers to transporters etc) have good working conditions and that no child labour is used. They even have an entire department specifically dedicated to control that there's no child labour going on. And all their designs are made in the same Swedish village in the middle of Småland. SAAB also has (had? do they still exist?) excellent working conditions in their factories as well, they paid their workers abroad the same salary vs. cost of living ratio as their equivalent Swedish workers. Compare to clothing companies that will have similar clothes to other similar brands, ie not really muh of their own designs other than sticking their brand name on it: horrible working conditions and a considerable amount of child labour.

I see a similar connection here.

The Big Kahuna
01-28-2013, 08:09 AM
It is very much a custom shop and you can order one offs

So I could order a Pono Tenor cutaway with a single sided headstock ?

pdxuke
01-28-2013, 08:18 AM
The hypothesis that perhaps there's some ethical concerns here, comes from the fact that they are hiding something. Those of us that have this concern, we didn't pull it out of the air. There's some justification for it. We've seen it in just about every other industry. Does that mean it's happening in the music world? Well, we don't know for sure. But what we do know is that we are not allowed to know where the ukes come from.

But my point is, what's being hidden may be for trade purposes, not exploitation purposes. Perhaps companies do not want to reveal their factory sourcing because they don't want other companies, or new companies, to know that info. That is also a possibility. Secrecy in trade is not a new thing.

Plainsong
01-28-2013, 09:42 AM
But my point is, what's being hidden may be for trade purposes, not exploitation purposes. Perhaps companies do not want to reveal their factory sourcing because they don't want other companies, or new companies, to know that info. That is also a possibility. Secrecy in trade is not a new thing.

But as a consumer, I have this choice of product A, where I know where it's made, and may even see factory tour vids on youtube, or worker's instagram pics of works in progress, or maybe they're active in the community or what not. Then product B, that might be made very well, but I'm not allowed to know the conditions in which its made.

The cost in currency might be lower for product B, but the ethical cost might be higher.

pdxuke
01-28-2013, 10:50 AM
But as a consumer, I have this choice of product A, where I know where it's made, and may even see factory tour vids on youtube, or worker's instagram pics of works in progress, or maybe they're active in the community or what not. Then product B, that might be made very well, but I'm not allowed to know the conditions in which its made.

The cost in currency might be lower for product B, but the ethical cost might be higher.

Ok, that's a personal choice. But please remember that because you don't see pictures of the other factory does not mean there are ethical problems at that factory. You are selecting to give your business based on all of the above, but that cannot imply that because you do not have the information you require the companies in question are exploiting workers.

At the end of the day, you have to make a choice based on your level of comfort.

Kevin B
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Here is a source for finding companies to make ukuleles from a minimum order lot. 300 or 500 or so and they will put your name on it. You can see some that seem similar to some popular brands. http://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Ukulele.html

Plainsong
01-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Ok, that's a personal choice. But please remember that because you don't see pictures of the other factory does not mean there are ethical problems at that factory. You are selecting to give your business based on all of the above, but that cannot imply that because you do not have the information you require the companies in question are exploiting workers.

At the end of the day, you have to make a choice based on your level of comfort.

Yes, they are purposefully withholding the information, and that in itself is evidence. If they don't intend that to be the message, they need to change the message. That's up to them, not to me.

pdxuke
01-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Yes, they are purposefully withholding the information, and that in itself is evidence. If they don't intend that to be the message, they need to change the message. That's up to them, not to me.

Well, we are talking past one another, so we'll just leave it at that. I do not think witholding information necessarily implies poor working conditions. You do. So there it is.

Plainsong
01-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Well, we are talking past one another, so we'll just leave it at that. I do not think witholding information necessarily implies poor working conditions. You do. So there it is.

No, you don't have to tell me what I think. What I think is that... they are withholding information that I need to make an informed decision.

pdxuke
01-28-2013, 06:27 PM
No, you don't have to tell me what I think. What I think is that... they are withholding information that I need to make an informed decision.

Then I stand corrected. And there it is.

Guitar2ukulele
01-28-2013, 09:48 PM
I have to agree that may be for other reasons than hiding working conditions. We are in an age of technology, and many feel obligated to have all information about a company. But that is not realistic as there are business reasons for both the business and its manufacturer. But to say a company is hiding poor working conditions or using cheap labor is unfair to society. We love to stereotype things and in China's case, they are taking the brunt of the blame for being able to produce affordable products. I have seen these same shoddy working conditions here in the USA and while in Japan as an expatriate. And I will be safe to assume that it goes on everywhere else I have not seen it with my eyes.

I had to comment as I seen this same stereotype within my own family and they have ZERO evidence to judge a specific company on how they produce things.

But to end this post on a happy note, my family member who dislikes Chinese products with a passion still buys those clothes from name brand outlets. Go figure!

pakhan
01-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Having met and worked with OEM craftsmen and businesses from different countries, china, indonesia, thailand, taiwan, I'd say that the outcome is always a volatile mixture of luck, determination and how much you put in.

For example, there are China instruments which are really only fit for bonfires, and there are China instruments which are fabulous. It really depends, if the brand in it for just quick sales, in which case, you just spec out the instruments, drive down the price and have a generous Q/C returns policy, if you're in it for the long haul, like Saga or say Panasonic, you go there, you help setup the workshop, determine the requirements and work on the Q/C and ability to deliver.

The weaker US dollar has really shifted the paradigm, as factories and manufacturing jobs start to flow back to the West, where although the initial production costs may be higher, with the better q/c and less import/shipping, the overall cost can be the same or even lower. So now, you will start to ecologically friendly, and ethically produced on some product sheets. Just take those with a pinch of salt.

Terence

Paul December
01-29-2013, 03:31 AM
How are we judging "withholding"? Is it because the information does not exist on one website?
Representatives from Kala, Mainland, Ohana and Lanikai have participate at UU. How about we simply ask them?

Hey Kala, Mainland, Ohana and Lanikai...
...what factories are your instruments manufactured in? How about pictures of working conditions?

If they don't want to say what factories, they can explain why.
I would expect them to have pictures of the facilities and working conditions. At minimum they can describe working conditions.

...If we don't get a response then the judgement of withholding may be appropriate.

hoosierhiver
01-29-2013, 04:43 AM

Exactly, I once got a call from a wealthy UU member who rather bluntly asked for all our business information so they could start a new ukulele company, which was quickly followed by, "but we won't be any competetion to you". I didn't know whether to be shocked by their boldness or shocked by their naivety. Running a small business can be tough, you are almost certain to make some costly mistakes but the experience you aquire is valuable.

Here's a past thread that may address some of peoples concerns.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?40071-Ukes-and-endangered-woods-shouldn-t-we-care-more/page8&highlight=chinese+factory+Mainland

AndrewKuker
01-29-2013, 04:58 AM
When I was 15 I worked at this restaurant and the owner was horrific. I used to have nightmares about her. I quit but stuck it out for a while because I wanted a job. Poor working conditions include verbal abuse and we're great at that as a whole, human race.
It's pretty tough to know how working conditions are for the old navy t-shirt you got on sale for $6 or how well the chicken was treated before you stuck it in your mouth.
At the end of the day, you can still look and contemplate, How well do I treat the people in my life?

Paul December
01-29-2013, 05:00 AM
Exactly, I once got a call from a wealthy UU member who rather bluntly asked for all our business information so they could start a new ukulele company, which was quickly followed by, "but we won't be any competetion to you". I didn't know whether to be shocked by their boldness or shocked by their naivety. Running a small business can be tough, you are almost certain to make some costly mistakes but the experience you aquire is valuable.

Here's a past thread that may address some of peoples concerns.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?40071-Ukes-and-endangered-woods-shouldn-t-we-care-more/page8&highlight=chinese+factory+Mainland

So you do not have any first hand knowledge of the working conditions at the factory that produces your instruments?

Skrik
01-29-2013, 05:38 AM
Hoosierhiver says he does know: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?40071-Ukes-and-endangered-woods-shouldn-t-we-care-more&p=564998#post564998

And: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?40071-Ukes-and-endangered-woods-shouldn-t-we-care-more&p=598240#post598240

hoosierhiver
01-29-2013, 05:43 AM
Hoosierhiver says he does know: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?40071-Ukes-and-endangered-woods-shouldn-t-we-care-more&p=564998#post564998

Which reminds me, I've got to call and be sure they get out our last shipment before they quit for a month.

Paul December
01-29-2013, 05:44 AM

OK, I only saw the post about an time card accidentally found inside a uke.
Have any of the manufacturers visited the factories that produce their ukes?
...I know Pono does, and have seen pics from Koalana.

ukemunga
01-29-2013, 06:18 AM
Which reminds me, I've got to call and be sure they get out our last shipment before they quit for a month.

Gotta love Chinese new year... we should do the same thing here!

"The Chinese New Year tradition is to reconcile, forget all grudges and sincerely wish peace and happiness for everyone."

hoosierhiver
01-29-2013, 06:41 AM

"The Chinese New Year tradition is to reconcile, forget all grudges and sincerely wish peace and happiness for everyone."

and a lot of drinking and gambling

The Big Kahuna
01-29-2013, 07:28 AM

Except the people who's patents they're infringing on a daily basis ;)

Plainsong
01-29-2013, 10:34 AM

And: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?40071-Ukes-and-endangered-woods-shouldn-t-we-care-more&p=598240#post598240

Yeah, I was nice in that thread, because Hoosier is a great guy, and is still a great guy here. I just don't think it's enough evidence without having someone there, like how Pono and Koalana have done it.

haolejohn
01-29-2013, 11:21 AM
OK, I only saw the post about an time card accidentally found inside a uke.
Have any of the manufacturers visited the factories that produce their ukes?
...I know Pono does, and have seen pics from Koalana.

Are they in China? I thought Pono was but someone posted that their ukes were being made in Indonesia (Andrew?).