Hand plane book?

tobinsuke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I would very much like to expand my knowledge of and skills with hand planes. I know enough to get by, but it is time to do better in this area. I may have to unlearn some self-taught assumptions and practices. I have searched online for books and, well, there are hundreds.

Does anyone have a specific suggestion that has been helpful for them? I don't want to restore or collect antique planes, I want a book that will give me a solid foundation in tuning and technique. Can anyone help me narrow the field?

Thanks.

I'd check out Lie-Nielsen's books & DVD's... of note:

Books:
"Handplane Essentials" by Christopher Schwarz (author of "The Anarchist's Tool Chest")
"Planecraft: Hand Planing By Modern Methods" by C.W. Hampton and A.E. Clifford

DVD:
"Handplane Basics: A Better Way to Use Bench Planes" by Christopher Schwarz
"Hand Tool Techniques Part 1: Plane Sharpening" & "Hand Tool Techniques Part 2: Hand Planing" by David Charlesworth

Fine Woodworking magazine has articles about this subject. A library might have back issues. WoodedBoat magazine also. Not that you asked for any advice:D but in my experience sharp is more important than anything else. The setup and tuning of your plane can be so-so but it has to be sharp to get a good result.

Uh, sorry, might be a little early in my being here to offer advice?

Fantastic. "The Hand-Plane Book" it is. Was back ordered 1-2 months on Amazon and overpriced at Woodcraft - gotta love eBay... ships tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom