The Three Ravens - Ukulele

So GOOD Val.
I've managed to rip the sound off as an mp3 now I just need to try and add a recorder part and try and put them together.
I haven't played recorder for many years so it may take me a few days to get something to match your superb playing.

Waiting to hear the song with your playing ;-)
V.

Very nicely played Val. Liked the arrangement and the variations. Definitely has that renaissance feel.

I thought when I heard it that the arrangement must have been based on Thomas Ravenscroft's four part setting. Then I checked your tab and found this was in fact the case.

I have a facsimile of Thomas Ravenscroft's book and I transcribed "The Three Ravens" into modern notation as it works very well as a four part recorder piece.

I am attaching a copy as it might be of help to Pabrizzer to create a recorder part.

Three Ravens P01.jpgThree Ravens P02.jpg

Thanks a lot Tootler... I may use this with my renaissance band (harp, recorder, viol and lute...)

Thanks a lot Tootler... I may use this with my renaissance band (harp, recorder, viol and lute...)

You're most welcome to do so. I like look of the instrumentation for your renaissance band.

You've made me think. I could probably adapt it for our folk band.

And I forgott to say three of the members are good singers too (except me... alas)

Gee, I'm struggling with the recorder part - 1st and 3rd and 5th sections are a breeze (That's the melody I know) - but the 2nd and 4th sections are driving me crazy - very modal with major sounding sections jumping to minor. I have tried playing the melody on top but it doesn't quite gel (almost but). I'll spend a bit more time on it but I am struggling!
I am using the treble and sort of in Dm.

On your singing - I'm thinking that there is a voice in there somewhere Val.

I may play again the tune only with the main sections repeated, and no variations (in fact I was intend, I guess, the main version to play with singer and the variation as "intermezzo"...)

My poor sick ravens.
Two quick and rough play throughs using my in built camera so bad hard drive hum.
Apart from having a go at Waltzing Matilda the other day I haven't played my recorders with any intent for about 10 years. So some over blowing on the pinched notes especially on the treble.
Good recorder playing requires very good breath control and I would need a lot more practice to get anywhere near where I used to be. I also had a cooking accident and sliced the tip off the ring finger on my left hand. They sewed it back on but the feeling has never fully returned and it has a bump like a frogs toe pad.
Gee is that enough excuses? -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sUohuzm3cI

Nice ! while you are practising I'll do another back track for you...

Top Bottom