Flukes Vs Applauses

JosephBautista

Reaction score
Well ive noticed that both these companies make very nice ukes, i just wanted peoples opinions on them. :D

markskas vids with his fluke uke was amazing

i think the flukes are better

I have a fluke it has nice tone. and real lite action but it has a plastic fret board and some of my frets are worn out in a year and no way to repair it. if you go with a fluke spend the extra money and get it with a wood fretboard

The applause is better to me because it has a pickup and I have one. But if you play it pluged in it sounds way better than pluged out. Thats just my opinion

Well ive noticed that both these companies make very nice ukes, i just wanted peoples opinions on them. :D

markskas vids with his fluke uke was amazing

ya, puremarkska's fluke vids are a must-see for any fluke-considering players... or uke players in general.

I prefer the Flea over the Applause soprano mainly because of the neck profile. The back of the neck of the Flea is pretty flat, which works fine for me, but the Applause has a "V" profile that just doesn't feel good to me. I play the uke with my thumb on the back of the neck at all times, so it's harder for my thumb to "grip" the back of a "V" neck. Sound-wise, I also like the Flea a little better. I don't know, maybe I got a dud, but I was pretty underwhelmed by the Applause soprano during the short time I owned it.

I prefer the Flea over the Applause soprano mainly because of the neck profile. The back of the neck of the Flea is pretty flat, which works fine for me, but the Applause has a "V" profile that just doesn't feel good to me. I play the uke with my thumb on the back of the neck at all times, so it's harder for my thumb to "grip" the back of a "V" neck. Sound-wise, I also like the Flea a little better. I don't know, maybe I got a dud, but I was pretty underwhelmed by the Applause soprano during the short time I owned it.

i see, so i also noticed that you can get 2 types of soundboards on the fluke K & K Transducer (wtf does that mean =/) for $60.00 extra or a B-Band undersaddle pick up with pre amp and vol for $165.00!!! DAAAAAAAMN :eek:

...dude seriously wats da difference between them? and geez that soundboard cost almost as much as the uke does

and the applause soundboard i think theres only one kind for it and its already installed for $350 all together :cool:

im just lookin for a good buy here :confused:

fluke, no doubt

Haha, wow, thanks guys! Geez, I haven't posted a video in forever...

I'm definitely in the Fluke camp, although I would recommend the Applause if you're going to be gigging on stage a lot - the plugged sound out of an Applause is much > than what you can get on a Fluke with the standard K&K transducer. If you add the better plug in with pre-amp, the Fluke gets pricey, and in that sense can't really be compared to the Applause.

Here's my pro and con list, comparing the Fluke Tenor (with standard K&K pickup) vs. the Applause Tenor. We won't even discuss the applause soprano, which doesn't sound very good at all imho.

Applause
Pros: Excellent electronics and sound when plugged, solid construction, geared tuners, comes with strap pegs.
Cons: Heavy (2 lbs, mostly in the body), doesn't project when played acoustically, battery replacement compartment is cumbersome to open.
Pro OR Con (depending on what you like): Rounded plastic back, rounded neck profile, looks like a mini ovation guitar.

Fluke
Pros: Nice sound (tone and volume), lightweight (1 lb), solid construction, perfect intonation (on plastic fetboards only), freestanding (flat bottom).
Cons: Friction tuners, plastic fretboard doesn't allow you to use metal wound strings, doesn't sound very good plugged.
Pro OR Con (depending on what you like): Rounded plastic back, thin & flat neck profile, triangular hollow body that allows you to make a wide variety of percussive sounds that sound pretty cool in youtube videos.

I think the big con on the Applause side is the weight in the body - it really feels weird to hold unless you have a strap. The big con on the Fluke side is that you can't use metal-wound strings if you get the plastic fretboard - but if you opt for the rosewood fretboard you possibly sacrifice absolutely perfect intonation. Hmm, I think that's about all i've got to say about that.

shooots.

I would just like to add a couple of things:

I have an upgraded everything on a Concert Flea (the Concert Fluke would be the same except the shape) and the intonation is the same as a normal plastic everything one - spot on.

Also, the Fluke/Flea does not have a rounded back - its flat, but not as big an area as a normal Uke.

I have a Soprano Flea that has a pickup installed, and through an amp sounds pretty good.

If the plastic fretboard wears out it will be replaced by Fleamarket Music, or so I have been told. They are a superb company to deal with by the way.

Before I chose between the Flea and Applause myself, I did extensive research on both. I found that the Applause was hit or miss in quality and there have been numerous reports of different things being not so good with them.
I have never had one myself though because I chose the Flea path but I have found people who are very happy with them. But they are in the minority compared to those that have a Flea/Fluke.

The Applause is made in China, the Fluke/Flea is made in the USA if that matters to anyone. I love my Fluke, never had a desire to own an Applause. Another option worth considering sound and price wise is the Ohana CK70RB
http://www.ohana-music.com/conc/ck70rb/master.html
mod_f.jpg
mod_r.jpg

Not seen that one before.
Would anyone have a sound sample or review???

Entirely different beasts. I've had both and I think they are both good instruments, but there are many differences. See my review page. But in brief:
  • The active electronics on an Applause are superb, on a par with Ovation guitars.
  • The Applause is heavy compared to the Fluke.
  • The Applause uses geared tuners, the Fluke uses friction tuners.
  • The Fluke is louder (to my ears).
  • Changing the battery on the Applause requires the nimbleness of a brain surgeon, the focus of a NASA astronaut on a spacewalk, and the patience of the Buddha. Plus a good vocabulary of Latin cuss words.
  • The Fluke has a thinner neck and smaller headstock.
  • Hardshell cases are expensive for both.
  • You can get a few Applause models with solid-wood tops. I believe there is only one solid-wood-top Fluke (koa) and it's very expensive.
  • You can sit a Fluke on any flat surface. With an Applause you need a proper stand or case t hold it.
I gave my Applause to a friend who admired it, and I kept the Fluke as my main strum-around-the-house, durable daily uke. That should give you an idea of my personal preference.​

Top Bottom