What's your favorite non-traditional uke wood (non- koa, non-mahogany)?

Doc_J

Reaction score
About a month ago I got a new-to-me tenor with a body of Hawaiian Ash. It sounds great, a nice combination of warmth and nice high note clarity and good projection. I still favor koa, but Ash might be my favorite non-koa/non-mahogany wood for a uke. The figure and color range for ash isn't as interesting as koa, mahoganies, mango, or myrtle but it sure sounds sweet.
https://www.box.com/s/pntjgavo1zsl37r9082y

attachment.php

My mango wood soprano is really bright, and I like a little more warmth. My Sideways 8 monkey pod tenor, is nice while not quite as warm as the ash. It sounds terrific with Savarez strings (very chime-like). I've never played a myrtle uke so I can't say how that compares. That's as much as I have experienced (leaving out ukes that have spruce/cedar or other softwood tops).

What's your favorite non-traditional wood (non- koa, non-mahogany) for a uke?

Last edited:
I like the warmth too and have enjoyed cedar tops lately. Will soon experiment with brighter vs. darker strings in hope of finding that magical combo for each uke.

Well, I haven't experimented that much but so far of the two non-traditional woods I've tried (red cedar and mango) I have to go with mango.

John

First of all, your uke sounds fantastic!! Smellofstrings plays the same one and his videos are superb. I'm a spruce kind of guy but haven't tried many other types. I don't like cedar as it's a little muddy when strummed hard but sounds wonderful picked.

The only other wood I own is Spruce. I would like to try Redwood, Cedar, Milo, and others. Other native Hawaiian woods intrigue me as well as a uke made from woods local to me.

redwood, spruce, walnut, myrte, mango, maple

My favorite tone wood bar none at the moment is redwood. I have a redwood top/koa back and sides tenor that I love. when ever I get my money saved up for the MB it will hopefully have redwood top.

Ha you know that Chuck says..it is not a uke unless it is made of Koa? maybe he has changed his mind Haha

Ha you know that Chuck says..it is not a uke unless it is made of Koa? maybe he has changed his mind Haha

LOL. Yeah but I have heard him speak highly of redwood. So I figure if he will do it (if I can get on the list once I get enough saved up that is) then I will.

LOL. Yeah but I have heard him speak highly of redwood. So I figure if he will do it (if I can get on the list once I get enough saved up that is) then I will.

Ha i have been waiting for quite awhile now to get on Chuck's list..if it happens good, if not ..thats how things go
see my sig below i am waiting for my Sinker Redwood top CR

Last edited:
I love solid mahogany, but spruce is good, and I'd love to try a redwood. I have an old Stetson mandolin that's Brazilian rosewood. I don't like koa because except for the high-end ukes, most of the wood is farmed, and the Hawaiian environment doesn't need any more farming.

My sinker redwood top Lichty tenor is marvelous in sound and richness, coupled with a pau ferro back and sides.

img_3380.jpg

What about bamboo for ukes? Any experience on that one?

Petey

What about bamboo for ukes? Any experience on that one?

Petey

I love the idea of bamboo (very inexpensive, grows almost anywhere, and grows so fast that keeping it from spreading is a bigger problem than growing it) but basically even a "solid" bamboo has to be really a laminate (just a high-quality one and strips glued in parallel) and so far I haven't heard one that got me excited.

It makes beautiful flooring - but flooring doesn't need to vibrate freely.

John

Mango, monkeypod, and milo! If I win the lottery and decide to buy a custom uke made in Hawaii, it would have to be mostly local woods.

Top Bottom