Complete beginner please help

LG1

Reaction score
Hello,

Im a complete beginner, I have a soprana uke and an instruction learn to play book. Its a really dumb question but from the book and you tube Im a bit confused. To play chords does the finger go inbetween the "markers" on the fretboard, or do you press against the marker, Im not sure if marker is the right word, I mean the raised piece of this wood running at 90 degees to the "handle". Secondly how hard do you press, do you press the string right down to the fretboard, or is just light pressure needed.

Sorry about the question being so dumb, but I really am a total complete novice, If Im honest I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew.

Thanks in advance

Don't feel bad, those are very common beginner questions and are rarely answered by the simple instruction sheets that come with most ukes or easily discernable from a YouTube video.

The answers are simple too - the ideal place to fret a string (that's what it's call by the way) is to press your finger just "behind" the fret (i.e. on the headstock side - where the string tuner knobs are - of the fret). You need to press only hard enough to get the string to sound clearly - pluck each string individually to see if any of your fingers are muffling the strings. Pressing too hard can pull the string out of tune, making the chord sound "dissonant."

Welcome to the beginning of a happy journey!

John

Thanks

Thanks, that makes a bit more sense, I'll have a try.

Thanks, that makes a bit more sense, I'll have a try.
Dont feel intimidated you will soon pick things up just keep practising and asking questions if you get stuck. One important thing is to keep it in tune.

Thanks

Dont feel intimidated you will soon pick things up just keep practising and asking questions if you get stuck. One important thing is to keep it in tune.

Thats great thanks, ive never played a musical instrument before so Ive probably got a load more dumb questions. Anyway here goes, Im just learning some different chords to start with and trying to get familiar with them. Im finding some of the finger positions a lot easier than others, but I guess my fingers will get used to the positions with practice.

Now it may be my ears but to me "G" and "G7" although the finger placement is different seem to sound about the same? Should they?

Again thanks everyone.

Believe me, you aren't the only one who thinks that. I've heard that before, and guess what - they sound the same to me, too. Apparently our ears need more training!

Congratulations on your learning to play the uke!! The G & G7 sound similar with the exception of one string. Check the tuning of all of your strings to make sure all strings are in tune. Try to learn the 4 most used chords: C, Am, F & G7. These chords are in many many songs and are simple to learn. In fact, play those four chords and you can easily make a song out of it and impress your friends at the same time!!

Last edited:
Now it may be my ears but to me "G" and "G7" although the finger placement is different seem to sound about the same? Should they?

They do sound very similar. Try picking one string at a time on G and G7 and you will find where the difference is. Then strum them and you can hear the slight variation a little better once you know where it is.

Thats great thanks, ive never played a musical instrument before so Ive probably got a load more dumb questions. Anyway here goes, Im just learning some different chords to start with and trying to get familiar with them. Im finding some of the finger positions a lot easier than others, but I guess my fingers will get used to the positions with practice.

Again thanks everyone.

The fingering will come naturally in time it is called muscle memory. Your brain will tell you where to put them without you thinking. But you must keep practising especially the hard chords. That said I do not practice the hard ones enough.

Mate, I'm right with you, learning from scratch.... youtube is your friend, took me awhile to find the simplest instructionals.. dont be too fussy, find one thats playable and Play it !! Rather than spending forever looking for specific songs... that will come later, right now you need to find a song or two with chords you know, that you can play over and over....

also doctoruke.com has a beginners page, with some great songs, very simply displayed, c/w a small window so you can play along with him should you so choose...

big thanks

A question is only stupid if you don't ask it! We've all been beginners and we are happy to have you on board. Take your time, practice, enjoy playing your 'uke. Welcome!

Thanks everyone, thats really encouraging.

No such thing as a stupid question around here. You are now part of the best community on the web, we all have been where you are - so ask away! Welcome to the UU - don't get discouraged - keep at it and have fun with it.

Welcome to the Ukulele and the UU forums...
Make sure you buy a clip on chromatic tuner..which tunes with the vibrations and not the ambient sound..http://www.cherubtechnology.com/product_detail.php?id=10&id1=32&id2=0 I like
this one, but many like the red snarks...
No worries, Ask all the questions you like, we are all friendly and helpful people here...UU forums is one of the best around if not the best..
I always say practice, patience and perservernce...in anything you do... Yes there is so much info to find chords and tabs on line now... ie, google
Pearly shells Ukulele Chords.... Alos You Tube is an excellent motivation for you and to learn....Google Ukulele Mike...
I try with Nursery Rhymes first as you know the song and the melody too... http://www.baby-patch.com/guitar.html yes learn the basics first...Happy Strummings

another question

Welcome to the Ukulele and the UU forums...
Make sure you buy a clip on chromatic tuner..which tunes with the vibrations and not the ambient sound..http://www.cherubtechnology.com/product_detail.php?id=10&id1=32&id2=0 I like
this one, but many like the red snarks...
No worries, Ask all the questions you like, we are all friendly and helpful people here...UU forums is one of the best around if not the best..
I always say practice, patience and perservernce...in anything you do... Yes there is so much info to find chords and tabs on line now... ie, google
Pearly shells Ukulele Chords.... Alos You Tube is an excellent motivation for you and to learn....Google Ukulele Mike...
I try with Nursery Rhymes first as you know the song and the melody too... http://www.baby-patch.com/guitar.html yes learn the basics first...Happy Strummings

Thanks all, i'll give the nursery rhymes a go.

Ive got the cherub clip on ukulele Mate, so think thats the right sort.

One more thing its now my 4th day since picking up the uke, and Ive done a couple of hours each night after work (actually its probably a bit more than a couple of hours), and the tip of my index finger on my left hand now feels really sore, is that normal, or do you think Im doing something wrong like pressing too hard.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited:
Yes fingertips will get numb as the calouses build up. They did witrh me at least.
Check out Uncle Rod's boot camp for practice sheets for the major chords. A great learning aid.
Have fun

Top Bottom