Looking for highest tension baritone strings

Curly Koa

Reaction score
I'm trying to find the highest tension baritone strings available that won't pull a bridge off...they will be used solely for playing slide on a dedicated slide uke with a raised nut and bridge... Hoping some of the experts out there can assist. It looks to me like it might be Southcoast heavies tuned up a step...???

Just go with D'Addario Pro-Arte extra high-tension guitar strings and shift them over one position. (I.e. use the ADGB guitar strings for the DGBE positions on the uke.) If you want to go crazy hard you can even try using the EADG strings but I can't promise that wouldn't pull the bridge off...)

John

You might also consider converting the bridge to a "string-thru-top" setup to avoid seeing your bridge fly across the room.

Speaking of bridges, I don't like classical guitar tie offs on a bridge. Can I string a baritone with a larger knot straight thru the bridge hole, or use beads at the end? Note that I'd be using nylon or fluro strings, not wound.

Speaking of bridges, I don't like classical guitar tie offs on a bridge. Can I string a baritone with a larger knot straight thru the bridge hole, or use beads at the end? Note that I'd be using nylon or fluro strings, not wound.

Yes, you can.

Some folks with a proper clamp reinforce the bridge from the inside, screwed from the top, perhaps even add an additional brace. A good luthier's question.

Top Bottom