Which Uke Sounds the Best?

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Sorry, I try to put a poll to make it easier so if mods see this, you can help me out. Thanks

Might want to start over; the links aren't working... sorry.

Another great case for style! It doesn't matter what you play it all sounds the same!

Really, it's so close that I can only really pick up on the differences between koa and spruce. They all sound pretty good. I'd say #1 "pops" the most, but beyond that I have no opinions either way.

EDIT: Yeah, the links weren't working for me either, but I searched your username on SC and they came right up.

Sorry guys...I didn't know that you had to sign up for soundcloud and didn't want to post on Youtube as you can look at the uke, which could really influence what you like. I am only playing the top 3 strings as the G string can influence you.

I'll just let this thread slowly die...HAHA

See if this link works below.

https://soundcloud.com/#nongdam

Another great case for style! It doesn't matter what you play it all sounds the same!

Really, it's so close that I can only really pick up on the differences between koa and spruce. They all sound pretty good. I'd say #1 "pops" the most, but beyond that I have no opinions either way.

EDIT: Yeah, the links weren't working for me either, but I searched your username on SC and they came right up.

Curious on which ones you think are spruce and koa?

Ho, Bruddah Brad!

Mahalo fo da heads up on using Bruddah Daniel's Username (nongdam) fo get da soundclips fo work!

Sorry guys...I didn't know that you had to sign up for soundcloud and didn't want to post on Youtube as you can look at the uke, which could really influence what you like. I am only playing the top 3 strings as the G string can influence you.

I'll just let this thread slowly die...HAHA

See if this link works below.

https://soundcloud.com/#nongdam

Ho, Bruddah Daniel!

This link doesn't work either.

For everyone else, just type in "nongdam" in the search block and the soundclips will pop up.

In Comparison 1 - I like #3 ... I think??? They all sound good and similar. In Comparison #2 ... I have no idea.

Last edited:
3 and 4 sound the best to me for more rounded and resonant tone. I liked 4 the best, except that the string noise was louder on 4 than 3.
I'd guess both were spruce tops.

I could only see/hear the 1st comparison

Since I couldn't get soundcloud to work for everyone and I don't plan on putting another sample, here's the ukes I played.

#1: Kamaka All Koa Longneck Concert strung w/ Southcoast Re-entrant strings
#2: I'iwi Sitka Spruce Top w/ Koa B&S Tenor strung w/ Savarez strings
#3: Moore Bettah Ukulele All Koa Tenor strung w/ Worth and Hilo Low G strings
#4: Luis Feu de Mesquita Sitka Spruce Top w/ Cuban Mahogany B&S Tenor strung w/ Southcoast, low G w/ 2 wound strings

Since I couldn't get soundcloud to work for everyone and I don't plan on putting another sample, here's the ukes I played.

#1: Kamaka All Koa Longneck Concert strung w/ Southcoast Re-entrant strings
#2: I'iwi Sitka Spruce Top w/ Koa B&S Tenor strung w/ Savarez strings
#3: Moore Bettah Ukulele All Koa Tenor strung w/ Worth and Hilo Low G strings
#4: Luis Feu de Mesquita Sitka Spruce Top w/ Cuban Mahogany B&S Tenor strung w/ Southcoast, low G w/ 2 wound strings

Hey Daniel

i tried too but could not connect.but i really don't like trying to compare on the internet..i don't think you get the true sound..but i am old ears no good.. Haha

if the sound is close i go with 4A Koa everytime..hard to beat beautiful Koa..but if the sound is way better on a Spruce top and you like it louder i guess Spruce is good..

i have a Sinker Redwood top CR on order just hoping for a mellow different sound then all my Koa ukes..

Hey Daniel

i tried too but could not connect.but i really don't like trying to compare on the internet..i don't think you get the true sound..but i am old ears no good.. Haha

if the sound is close i go with 4A Koa everytime..hard to beat beautiful Koa..but if the sound is way better on a Spruce top and you like it louder i guess Spruce is good..

i have a Sinker Redwood top CR on order just hoping for a mellow different sound then all my Koa ukes..

Len

I guess it's a matter of what close means in sound! We hear with our eyes and no shame in that. Kamaka charges $600 upgrade for 4A wood and so does most luthiers, even though the upgrade charge might not be as high. I love beautiful looking ukes like everyone else.

I think this test shows that if you have someone good making your uke, it is harder to tell wood types. I know Chuck said Stan's and mine sound very similar even though woods are diff't. It could also mean that my recording and your headphones suck and that's why it's hard to tell!! LOL

I've never heard another koa uke sound similar to my MBU. I'm sure people don't want to hear this but it reminds me of a great guitar...a great mini-guitar!! HAHAHA

Although I'm no expert and can't really explain anything from a scientific perspective, based on my experience, I've got to agree that the builder matters way more than the wood. I'm sure the wood does matter, but it's amazing just how different all the koa instruments i've played sound. A moore bettah really sounds nothing like a koaloha, and that's really part of the joy of finding new instruments and finding the luthiers/companies you like best. It's too bad that it's so hard to convey the precise quality of sound through the internet, but even so, I always like these sound comparisons. I hope that nobody takes them too seriously like a competition and that we all just enjoy sharing and discussing

Len

I guess it's a matter of what close means in sound! We hear with our eyes and no shame in that. Kamaka charges $600 upgrade for 4A wood and so does most luthiers, even though the upgrade charge might not be as high. I love beautiful looking ukes like everyone else.

I think this test shows that if you have someone good making your uke, it is harder to tell wood types. I know Chuck said Stan's and mine sound very similar even though woods are diff't. It could also mean that my recording and your headphones suck and that's why it's hard to tell!! LOL

I've never heard another koa uke sound similar to my MBU. I'm sure people don't want to hear this but it reminds me of a great guitar...a great mini-guitar!! HAHAHA

Len

I wish i could play your MB to compare with my 4A Koa Compass Rose tenor/in a few days i can compare with Stan as i will be back on Oahu Wed.fyi Rick does not charge 600.00 for Mastergrade Koa..but that was almost a year ago when i put my order in..so prices might of changed

when i ordered my Kamaka they only had 3A koa i told Tekla to look around the shop but no luck Lol

i really want to see how my Devine matches up with my CR and other MBs..gots to wait a little while longer Haha

yeah Rick Turner always says people buy with their eyes first..

I thought 3 sounded the "best" on the 1st comparison, second was too close to tell. And this was with reference headphones.
Now I see it's a Moore Bettah.

Overall they sounded very close and there really wasn't one that was head and shoulders above the rest. Where's the all mahogany in the test? :)

Great playing.

Top Bottom