Plz Help Me Date/Type This Martin Concert

coolkayaker1

Reaction score

Martin experts...can someone please help me date and model (1M? 2M?) this concert ukulele? It does have Martin Nazareth stamp in soundhole, and the sticker on headstock, but no stamp on back of headstock. The tuners are black (original, I think). Please note that he says soprano in the video at the end, but it's a concert (he corrected it in the comments).

Thank you in advance. --Steve:cool:

Start by asking it out for coffee, cool. Casual, no pressure. That's what my friends who use match.com do.

Start by asking it out for coffee, cool. Casual, no pressure. That's what my friends who use match.com do.

Then ask it if it prefers to be strummed or picked. Solo or in group. With other Martin concerts or other ukuleles.

lol I find one with a curvy figure who looks all sweet, and didge tells me to try not to get to second base on the first date.

This is an older gal, didge. She knows how to fly around the bases, I have little doubt.

In fact, she's already showing her crack!

lol I find one with a curvy figure who looks all sweet, and didge tells me to try not to get to second base on the first date.

This is an older gal, didge. She knows how to fly around the bases, I have little doubt.

In fact, she's already showing her crack!
I think it's a good idea to get a target age before you meet. We all know you should never ask a lady how old she is.

My uke is a little older than that one..it has the low crown....
Newaquisitions72211007.jpg

mine is a Style 1 and the same tuners..
Newaquisitions72211021.jpg

looks to be refinished and by the reflection...may have some waves behind the bridge...it has the high crown and black purfling..

Last edited:
It's a style 1 concert, and post-1932. I'd guess '40s based on what I can see of the tuners, but I'm not positive about that.

Steve:

You can distinguish between a 1 and 2 by the binding: a style 2 is the one with white outside binding. The style 1 has tortoise. If it were a 2 concert, it would be very expensive-they're rare.

Steve:

You can distinguish between a 1 and 2 by the binding: a style 2 is the one with white outside binding. The style 1 has tortoise. If it were a 2 concert, it would be very expensive-they're rare.

Exactly. Style 2 concerts are like hen's teeth.

I agree 40s.

I see. Thanks, Howard and Thom. Appreciate your knowledge.

From what you've both told me about the style 1 versus style 2 binding, I've got some work ahead of me with some white paint and a fine tipped brush.

I see. Thanks, Howard and Thom. Appreciate your knowledge.

From what you've both told me about the style 1 versus style 2 binding, I've got some work ahead of me with some white paint and a fine tipped brush.

Or just take the Style 1 to your luthier and have him change the binding:cool:

Does this mean you bought the Style 1 concert? I want one...I think. I mean, let me know what you think of it.

Or just take the Style 1 to your luthier and have him change the binding:cool:

Does this mean you bought the Style 1 concert? I want one...I think. I mean, let me know what you think of it.

Hi, Howard. Good idea about the biding and luthier. lol

Sure, I'll let you know what I find out when I get it. Thanks!

Top Bottom