Mk-t help

tonyo50138

Reaction score
i recently purchased a mk-t ukulele and i was wondering what strings i should put on it. I seen where there are 2 different tunings with the "g" string and i want to make sure i get the right ones.

Thanks
Tony :)

I've found the Aquila strings to sound best on my MK-T. The usual tuning on a tenor uke is re-entrant or high G tuning, the linear or low G is probably the next most popular. Most of the music available is in the high G tuning.

Another option would be Ken Middleton's Living Water strings. The strings that are supplied as standard on the MK-T are not the best and you should hear a significant improvement with either Aquila or Living Water strings.

So I can use any uke strings on my uke? Just some are high g and some are low g?

And also locally all I can find are martin uke strings. How are these as far as tone/sound?

Sorry for all the q's gut even coming from playing guitars these little guys are quite different. ;)

Yeah, as long as they are tenor size. The only Martins I've seen come in soprano/concert, and baritone, I haven't seen any tenor sets. If you can find them be sure they are the fluorocarbon strings and not the crystal nylon. I've found the laminate top ukes really benefit sound wise from the Aquilas, they are able to drive the laminate soundboards a bit better, and are my first choice on them.

Is there a video anywhere on how to restring a mk-t? Theres a weird overlapping down on the bridge. Its not a "standard" knotting.

There are many videos on you tube. Here is one from Hilo Guitars. BTW on a Makala, aquila strings are probably one of the better choices for a laminate uke. Of course, try different sets and see which strings feel and sound best to you! As stated before, you can choose between the high G or low G string depending on you preference.
Changing the strings is quite easy!!

There are many videos on you tube. Here is one from Hilo Guitars. BTW on a Makala, aquila strings are probably one of the better choices for a laminate uke. Of course, try different sets and see which strings feel and sound best to you! As stated before, you can choose between the high G or low G string depending on you preference.
Changing the strings is quite easy!!

I seen this one but on mine new the strings are like woven together on the backside of the bridge where you put the string thru, can i do them like this video and not worry about the weave?

Aquila strings low g

I have the exact same ukulele and i got standard aquila strings with it. They sounded nice but i wanted more. So a bought a seperate low g string from aquila's red series with it and now the chords sound deeper.

I think "the weave" is probably the ends of the strings tucked under the loops formed by other strings as the bridge knots are tied. You don't need to tuck the strings under, you can just clip off the ends of the strings as shown in the video above. Just be sure the clipped end doesn't rest on the top of the uke because it could buzz.

BTW this video shows a good closeup of the knot at the bridge.

I really liked that video when I found it. As far as I'm concerned, it's the clearest video I've ever seen on how to re-string an ukulele.

Top Bottom