Old Ukulele Identify?

ziqpy

Reaction score
IMG_00245.jpg

Came across this during my rounds in Vegas whilst I was at CES.

A Guitar shop on the side of the live band pub.

Sounds really nice, intonation was excellent but back had 3 large splits which had been repaired.

Guy wanted over a $1195 for it.

Anyone seen one before?

Looks like a Nunes, but I don't recognize the headstock.

I have an old uke with the same headstock, binding, neck stripe, and rosette. Mine has a different end on the fingerboard, and a label inside that says "Mouna Loa". $1195 seems madly over-priced. I'm not saying mine is the same maker, but I paid about $200 for mine, if memory serves me. Unless that IS a Nunez, it's WAAAAAAAY over-priced. Possibly even if it IS a Nunez (I don't know much about their value).

Ok, I just looked at mine. It's not exactly the same anyplace but the headstock (which certainly appears to be the same). But it's similar everywhere.
100_2214.jpg

Nothing points to Nunes for me on this ukulele. It is a nice example of a mainland made ukulele, built in the 20's. Sometimes these pop up with a supertone label.

That price is insane. I think sometimes guitar shops which have no experience with ukuleles try to apply vintage guitar prices, and they have little or no motivation to sell a ukulele because someone has brought it in and given it to them or sold it to them for next to nothing.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same Chris as yours, just got fret dots.

I got to try a 1960's kamaka pineapple in a GC but again OP wanted $400 for it, and had been scribbled with names and top lifting at bottom from the sides.

Amazing sound.

Off Topic...

Just ordered a les paul for giggles, will keep me going till I buy the one i really want from blackbird when they announce and release it ;)

Les-Paul-Ukulele.jpg

No one has them in stock. Epiphone really slow at getting batches out. There was a guy who worked out of a tram museum here who worked on some really expensive guitars, gonna get him to do the setup.

Last edited:
God, Mike is encyclopedic!

Top Bottom