Baritone C tuning tension

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I contemplating putting a set of Southcoast C strings on my vintage Martin baritone.

I'm a little concerned about the extra tension on the neck and bridge after 50 years of it being G tuned.

What do you think?

Do you mean D G B E to be drop the D to C, leave the G alone, pull the B up to C and leave the E alone so you have The root-the 5th -root again --the third? If so, it doesn't hurt 'em a bit . That C tuning is on two tenors, one baritone and a 1923 Martin T-18 as well as a Morgan-Monroe travel 5 stringer.

Not to be a wise guy, but wouldn't Dirk @ Southcoast be a good resource to answer your question?

I just inherited a 50-year-old Harmony mahogany baritone, and wanted to try linear GCEA.
Strung it up with an Aquila 23U GCEA Nylguts. Good tension but not excessive.
The old friction tuners are holding fine, not worried about the bridge at all.
Substituted an Aquila Red 72U Tenor low G for the high g in the set.
It has less tension than the white nylguts, but seems to balance nicely with them.
Very pleased so far, and no wound strings. :D

Not to be a wise guy, but wouldn't Dirk @ Southcoast be a good resource to answer your question?

I just inherited a 50-year-old Harmony mahogany baritone, and wanted to try linear GCEA.
Strung it up with an Aquila 23U GCEA Nylguts. Good tension but not excessive.
The old friction tuners are holding fine, not worried about the bridge at all.
Substituted an Aquila Red 72U Tenor low G for the high g in the set.
It has less tension than the white nylguts, but seems to balance nicely with them.
Very pleased so far, and no wound strings. :D

:agree: Southcoast strings probably a set you'd "least" have to worry about.

Got a set of these on my Martin Bari. No tension problems and they sound sweet!
Cheers
Gary

Ooooooooohhh, this gives me a verrrry bad feeling!

The whole presentation of our strings on the new website was to give people an idea of tension on our sets. It's important from the perspective of feel, of course, but is also a lot more important than people realize when it comes to response, and therefore sound.

We went to a bunch of trouble to try to make that easy to understand. Every set, or group of sets, has a tension chart next to it. We explain how they work on the "String Sets" page. The charts are composed of individual boxes like the first picture.

As we explain, the symbol in the middle of the green means normal tension; toward the red is higher, toward the blue is lower. The second picture shows the box for the LL-NW set, the third for the LL-RW set. One has a bit more tension than the other, but both are pretty much close to dead center.

8475.png12073.png12067.png

Of course, people sometimes assume a higher tuning means a higher tension. That only happens, though, when you "pull up" strings that were designed for something else. Obviously not the case here. LL-NW, for example, stands for "Light Guage Linear - No Wound Strings", and lighter gauges are for higher tunings.

I thought to myself, well, maybe people skip the intro on the "String Set" page and just dive in to the selections, then get lost. I figured that might happen from time to time.

But Patrick, you are not the only one who has contacted me with a tension concern lately. Now I'm getting a sinking feeling. All those tension charts are "clickable". On the page as you see them, they're too small to read, but it clearly says, "click to enlarge". Then they should blow up to take up a good portion of your screen.

It suddenly occured to me that maybe they aren't "enlarging" to readable size when they're clicked on. I don't even want to think about the work it would take to reformat all that.

Patrick, are the clickable charts working for you? Can anyone else give me some feedback on this? (need to know!)

P.S. I SEE THAT THEY'RE SMALL ON THIS PASTE-UP AS WELL - HELP!

Last edited:
Your clickable charts work. It's just that you linked to the small preview instead of the enlarged image. Any image here starts as a small thumbnail. Just as in your site, click on the image below and you'll see it in full size.

11568.jpg

Ooooooooohhh, this gives me a verrrry bad feeling!

P.S. I SEE THAT THEY'RE SMALL ON THIS PASTE-UP AS WELL - HELP!

They're fine and very readable when you click on them. Don't worry about that. You website works well and loads quickly. What you should worry about is that your web pages are too 'wordy'. They are daunting to read, especially if you just want specific information and not an entire lesson on string theory.
it is, however, a great site and a good resource.

Your clickable charts work. It's just that you linked to the small preview instead of the enlarged image. Any image here starts as a small thumbnail. Just as in your site, click on the image below and you'll see it in full size.

View attachment 48246

MANY THANKS, Dave!

That website was a struggle, as while I may not be the worst when it comes to site building, I'm very far from being a professional.

Questions are something I expect and welcome - it means someone is interested - but there are clickable charts and photos all over that new site, and I was thinking there might be some kind of pop-up blocker preventing them from working.

Thanks again -

They're fine and very readable when you click on them. Don't worry about that. You website works well and loads quickly. What you should worry about is that your web pages are too 'wordy'. They are daunting to read, especially if you just want specific information and not an entire lesson on string theory.
it is, however, a great site and a good resource.

Hey, Craig - didn't you know "Wordy" is my middle name? If you think this site is wordy, you should have seen what it replaced!

I tired my best to segregate the 'Wordy" pages "off to the side", so to speak, where they wouldn't be essential, and only patient people take them on. Still, it's a battle I fight. Maybe one day I can learn "concise". I'll keep trying!

Many thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
The clickables work fine Dirk. I read your site clear through, more than once, as it's so informative. My inquiry, and maybe it could be explained a bit better, was putting on a string that was much higher in pitch and tension involved. I was concerned about the change in strings on an instrument that had the same tension on it for 50t years and all of sudden have a much higher tension on it. But you explained it in your previous post.

What threw me was the "lighter guage" designation. As you know I like a higher tensioned string for fingerpickin' and the lighter guage, too me, meant a thinner string thinking it was more "flexible".

Last edited:
Got it! No, no problem with Light Gauges - that's what they're for.

There are some companies who will actually void their warranty if you tune up to C on a Baritone. That's because I suppose there are some people who try that with standard Baritone strings. Standard Baritone strings, either through a high metal content, or thick diameters, are actually heavier than anything we sell. Pull some of them up to C tuning, and you'd be asking for trouble on a new instrument, let alone a vintage like your Martin.

Our Light Gauges, on the other hand, give tensions on C tuning that are likely less than the strings your Martin is used to. So even at the higher tuning, with these strings you may actually be doing the old fellow a favor.

Thanks Dirk. Just ordered a set of the LL-rw and the old standby ML-RW's. I think I'll throw a set of the ML-RW's I have now and tune it to a Bb.

Last edited:
Top Bottom