PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on Pono PKT-6E

808boy
01-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Aloha,
Sold my Mele Double Hole Koa 6 string uke recently which left a vacancy in my 6-string tenor slot. On strong reccomendation from mmStan, I was able to purchase a Pono PKT 6-E which I'm very pleased with as far as sound and playability.
However, I'm having problems researching info on it. Just want to know when it was made.
Found a PKT 2-E on ebay that sold for way more than I paid for mine.
Is a Koa Pono kinda rare?
Mahalo, BO.........

Pueo
01-29-2013, 11:16 AM
My understanding is that Pono originally launched making koa ukuleles. When they moved away from the original overseas factory and went to the new factory, etc. I think they stopped making koa Pono and began using other tonewoods. So if you have a koa Pono, it is probably an earlier one. Mine says "Made in Java" on the label, indicative of the first Pono factory. I bought mine about six years ago. It is still one of my favorite ukuleles to play. Ponos do not have serial numbers unfortunately!

808boy
01-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Aloha Pueo,
Mine says Java too. Bought from a guy in Mililani.
Mahalo for your input............BO..............

haolejohn
01-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Pono stopped making Koa when they moved factories. I think it had to do with koa became strictly for their Ko'olau line. I covet a koa pono. One day I will get one. The koa is always stunning on these.