is there a minimum height for a bridge/nut?

banjolelebsi

Reaction score
Hi all

I am setting up my homebuild banjolele and i am having some issues with the nut.

I have an irritating buzz on the 1st string when i fret it at the 1st fret. Open it sounds fine ie no buzz, so i am guessing either the 2nd fret is too high or the nut slot is too low. Is this the right way of thinking?

Also, when i install my frets should they all be level with the fretboard? If so i find it very hard to get them to sit completely flat on the board, they seem to always have an arch to them. Any tips?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Sorry also wanted to ask what is a good action height for a banjolele at the 1st and 12th frets?

Cheers

Assuming you're using a flat fretboard, not a radiused one, the frets should be even and at the same height both across and up the neck. This is generally accomplished by running a long file up and down the FB until the tops of all frets are level and even. Then use a fret file to recrown any flattened frets. Finally, polish the frets (I use one of those 7-grit emery boards sold for women's nails) to remove any scratches and make them nice and shiny.

Thanks very much for all your suggestions i will investigate the height of the 2nd and 3rd frets first i think. Thanks David.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks very much for all your suggestions i will investigate the height of the 2nd and 3rd frets first i think. Thanks David. Thanks Chris H too for the link.

Cheers

Simon

Top Bottom