Fretboard Finish

dannyb

Reaction score
I have a curly walnut fingerboard and matching bridge,heel. It looks to dry and doesn't show its curl. Walnut is a new wood for me to work with. I am looking for a low sheen. My reading is not leaning towards any one oil if any at all. I did order some luprinzis today. Any help on or suggestions? I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Danny

I second that suggestion. A couple of coats, sand between, sand to 400, lightly oil. It'll be beautiful.

The more I think about it, the more intrigued I am by the suggestion to use penetrating epoxy on a FB. Never tried that. Rick and Weerpool, if you'd be willing to field a couple questions, I'd appreciate it.

Have you found that the penetrating epoxy makes the board significantly more wear-resistant?

Rick, since you are sanding the board between coats of epoxy, I assume you are applying it before installing the frets. Correct? So, the epoxy isn't accumulating in the slots as you apply it? Can you elaborate a bit, please?

Thanks!

Epoxy on a completed instrument's fretboard and bridge seems like it would be quite difficult to apply.

I like Stewart MacDonald's fingerboard oil quite a bit... extremely easy to apply and dries hard with very little shine.

1) The only finish/sealer that even comes close to popping wood grain, figure, and color as well as Smith's CPES is shellac; it's better than tung oil in this respect.

2) Of course it's to be applied before putting in frets, and you'll probably have to clean out the fret slots if you apply it after cutting them. No big deal. You could epoxy the 'board before cutting the slots, but it might not be particularly good for the saw blade.

3) Yes, it definitely toughens the wood

Thanks for the new imput. I previously had asked about toughening up my walnut fret board. Rick, you suggested Smiths CPES. After pricing it out on the internet, I decided to try shellac. I did so before cutting fret and fretting. It did make the walnut pop, but to much. I toned it down with a little lite 400 sandpaper. I recently purchased some Loprinizis fretboard conditioner. Applied it this morning and it looks great. The curly walnut has a nice glow and the curls show. Not to flashy and not to dark. Beautiful! Thanks All, Danny

1) The only finish/sealer that even comes close to popping wood grain, figure, and color as well as Smith's CPES is shellac; it's better than tung oil in this respect.

2) Of course it's to be applied before putting in frets, and you'll probably have to clean out the fret slots if you apply it after cutting them. No big deal. You could epoxy the 'board before cutting the slots, but it might not be particularly good for the saw blade.

3) Yes, it definitely toughens the wood

Thanks for your reply, Rick.

Top Bottom