History of Larrivee Ukes?

You can probably get the information straight from the horse's mouth. Probably get your tuner question answered too.

Jean Larrivee Guitars Ltd.
780 E. Cordova St.
Vancouver, BC
Canada V6A 1M3
Email: info@larrivee.com

- or -

Jean Larrivee Guitars USA Inc.
1070 Yarnell Place
Oxnard, CA
USA 93033-2454
Phone: (805) 487-9980
Email: info@larrivee.com

I bought one of Jean's early Larrivees in the late 70's when he had a one man shop in North Vancouver. I think he only made sopranos for a while. Not sure what tuners he used back then.

The ones I played had Gotoh friction (at least the 2 I have seen), but not sure they will ever make ukes again. they were not at NAMM this year. Last year they said that they were on the horizon to make them, but none of the builders wanted to make them, so.....
Yeah

Does anyone know the history of Larrivee ukes, and what models they had? Also serial number layout, is the first number pair the year it was made?

Thanks

I had heard they were a one time production run in the Canadian plant.
From what I have gathered most of the run went to Japan.
I have a very nice koa with a little bling and friction tuners.
Very nice playing and sounding, it has a 14 in. scale (between a soprano & concert)

Here is my uke, I think it's a 10K Palm. Nice flames.

2rfpsp0.jpg
2afl82x.jpg

And here are the tuners.

hsnazt.jpg
339t4ra.jpg

Here's the Larrivee Soprano I just bought from Bernunzio's in Rochester, NY. GREAT uke! From the research I've done, it seems to be a 1996. I think it is unfigured Koa, but it could be Mahogany.
Bob

Lar1.JPG

Lar2.JPG

Lar3.JPG

Lar4.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry, newb here and had two duplicate posts...

Last edited:
Looks like Jean's wife Wendy did the inlay. She does fabulous inlays. I kick myself for selling my first Larrivee.Back then it was just Jean and Wendy in a really small shop in North Van. I'll have to ask him if he has ukes left in the upstairs instrument room next time I see him. I'm sure he doesn't and would probably be cost prohibitive if he did.

uburoibob, great looking Uke. Doesn't have the same look as the Martin Mahogany ukes but the unfinished wood in the soundhole looks like Mahogany to me. I'll email Larrivee and ask when mine was made.

Here are a couple shots of the back. I found a blog site that had these photos. They speculated that the top was Koa and the back, possibly, Mahogany. It was odd finding the exact instrument I bought on a site and it being one of the first up in the Google search for 'Larrivee Ukuleles'...

Lar11.JPG

Lar12.JPG

Lar13.JPG

Lar14.JPG

The whole body is most likely Mahogany but you never know. You could email the company and ask, they may have info on it still.

I always thought mine was mahogany, but several folks have told me it is koa.
The wood does look very similar to a Larrivee Koa guitar I have, so maybe the koa batch resembles mahogany.
Some day I will take over to the factory and have Matthew look at it.

I just scored a Mahogany one like yours uburoibob. :D

I also got a reply from Larrivee that mine is a model U-99K and was built October 3rd 2000.

I just scored a Mahogany one like yours uburoibob. :D

I also got a reply from Larrivee that mine is a model U-99K and was built October 3rd 2000.

Congratulations! Are sure it is Mahogany? Specially with a 'K' in the model number? Can you please post pics? Unfigured Koa can look a lot like Mahogany.

Bob

I'll take the liberty of replying to Uburoibob, because I know Koa Soprano's Larrivees.

His original one that he was posting about on this thread was indeed a very nice koa with palm tree inlays (and that's the one he's referring to with the "K" model number) Very bling and shiny. He was then lucky enough to score a mahogany soprano from a shop in Japan. After repatriating it, he decided to sell it and I'm now the proud owner. It's all mahogany, very understated and very sweet sounding - it also looks remarkably like yours !

I live in East Vancouver, a spit away from the Larrivee factory, so it's kinda cool bringing one of these rare beasts home. I sent them an email with the serial number and a photo of the label taken through the soundhole, and they were able to give me a date of manufacture. You could always do that too. Enjoy.

Top Bottom