PDA

View Full Version : NAMM favorites

Tigeralum2001
01-29-2013, 08:09 PM
We've all seen the pictures and viewed the videos, some may have even attended NAMM. What I want to know is that excites you and what you are looking forward to in 2013?

I am looking forward to the Godin uke; that looks pretty sweet. I love the Quilted Maple from DaSilva. Maybe this year I pick up one of the nice resonator models. And for some reason, I feel the need for some gallistrings...

What about you?

Hippie Dribble
01-29-2013, 08:35 PM
for me it was hands down, the mango Kamaka. For some reason I've not ever been a koa fan, but have always kind of romanticised the Kamaka name and all it represents. I also love mango to bits, so I think I can see one of those in my future...

didgeridoo2
01-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Not necessarily a posting of my favorites, but a general observation from watching the videos that makes me realize that I need to try harder to get there next year to see for myself: why did quite a few makers demo ukes with Aldrine that were not in tune? Now I know they aren't there to impress the general public, but they should see the UU crew as major exposure for their product. It takes a few seconds to tune up a uke and I'm sure the UU folks could wait a minute before rolling. I know in years past there have been comments about the folks being interviewed not being players, but to not even have the instrument in tune is frustrating to see.

That being said, I'd like to check out one of the Kiwaya tenors, if only to tune it up.

Gillian
01-29-2013, 09:34 PM
We've all seen the pictures and viewed the videos, some may have even attended NAMM. What I want to know is that excites you and what you are looking forward to in 2013?

I am looking forward to the Godin uke;....

Me too. Eric at C. B. Perkins, is a dealer for Godin and said that he will have some in his store in a month, or maybe a few days if the ones at NAMM haven't been sold. I've got one (natural finish) on hold.:)

Hippie Dribble
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
funniest and most entertaining interview from the show was the chat with Bill Collings. priceless. Great stuff Aldrine...I reckon the painted flowers make em sound better too he he :old:

Lexxy
01-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Godin guitars, DaSilva ukuleles, and the brand new Islander with arm rests and cutaways and slotted headstocks look really really tempting too. Anybody willing to sponsor an Islander ukulele? :iwant:

coolkayaker1
01-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Hitomi Kato. Cute as a fresh baked moon pie.

dkcrown
01-30-2013, 01:28 AM
After watching the interviews and reading all the posts I have to say that there was nothing that really excited me about this years NAMM. The one uke that I was looking forward to seeing/hearing was the Master series koa tenor from Kiwaya. If you are introducing a tenor to your line, wouldn't you have it ready to go for interested buyers? I agree with Jeff. How difficult is it to tune your ukes before you know someone is going to want to hear them? I have spoken to Hitomi Kaito over the phone three or four times in years past as the representative for Kiwaya USA and she was delightful to speak with and very helpful. But she dropped the ball in her interview with Aldrine. Kiwayas are beautifully built ukuleles and the KTS-4 I owned sounded great. Not that I expected to get a good sound sample from their NAMM booth with all of the background noise, but it would have been nice at least to get an idea.

The Fusion bags looked nice, but expensive.

And a big thank you to Aldrine, Mike, Andrew, Tim, Ken, and everyone else that allowed us to see NAMM through their eyes. Every year you guys provide us with great coverage and insight to the latest and greatest in the ukulele world.

ukeeku
01-30-2013, 03:06 AM
Hitomi Kato. Cute as a fresh baked moon pie.

She is always so nice to work with

pdxuke
01-30-2013, 03:15 AM
I liked the 38 series sopraninio from Ohana, and that cute little rope binding soprano.

KoaDependent
01-30-2013, 04:28 AM
The Nunes replica caught my eye from the 2012 coverage, hope they get around to releasing it soon!

Lalz
01-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Most exciting new stuff from NAMM 2013 for me: Godin uke and Kiwaya tenor.

Nice to see a different approach to electric ukuleles, kudos to Godin for that. Now if they could even add MIDI/synth capabilities like they have on their guitars, so one could make some wob wob wob subbass sounds with a ukulele that'd be really mint hehe :music:

It was a bit hard to hear the Kiwaya tenor on the UU video but from what I understand, the air conditioning is quite brutal there so instruments get out of tune all the time. I trust that it must sound great though. It's Kiwaya. They're awesome.

Ken Middleton
01-30-2013, 07:41 AM
The Nunes replica caught my eye from the 2012 coverage, hope they get around to releasing it soon!

Soon, I promise. Getting models like this into production takes time. We started with the original antique instrument.

Lalz
01-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Looks like Elderly Instruments will carry the Godin ukes for 849 USD: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/MULTIUKE-BST.htm

Newportlocal
01-30-2013, 09:25 AM
I am interested in opinions/reviews on the LR Baggs Lyric Mic system. Looks really interesting.

BlueLatitude
01-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Ohana is doing a Nunes replica? Ooh, I missed that!

Rick Turner
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Sorry not to have been down in Hall E, but a few UU folks found me...in drum hell in Hall D. Happy to have Mim on board as well as Andrew and Music Guy Mike. They were all fighting over the ab purfled koa Compass Rose tenor, but Mim called it first. Now I just have to make more ukes! They are becoming a main focus of our business here...

coolkayaker1
01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
After watching the interviews and reading all the posts I have to say that there was nothing that really excited me about this years NAMM. The one uke that I was looking forward to seeing/hearing was the Master series koa tenor from Kiwaya. If you are introducing a tenor to your line, wouldn't you have it ready to go for interested buyers? I agree with Jeff. How difficult is it to tune your ukes before you know someone is going to want to hear them? I have spoken to Hitomi Kaito over the phone three or four times in years past as the representative for Kiwaya USA and she was delightful to speak with and very helpful. But she dropped the ball in her interview with Aldrine. Kiwayas are beautifully built ukuleles and the KTS-4 I owned sounded great. Not that I expected to get a good sound sample from their NAMM booth with all of the background noise, but it would have been nice at least to get an idea.

The Fusion bags looked nice, but expensive.

And a big thank you to Aldrine, Mike, Andrew, Tim, Ken, and everyone else that allowed us to see NAMM through their eyes. Every year you guys provide us with great coverage and insight to the latest and greatest in the ukulele world.
I agree, that Kiwaya out of tune uke deal was awful. Embarrassing.

That said, Kiwaya has always made tenor Masters. I owned one two years ago and sold it last year. I wish I'd have kept it. it was awesome, but not as perfect, sound wise, as some other ukes (Mya Moe, Pohaku, etc.). Kiwayas are "tight" sounding. They are so well built they are slightly restricted, if that makes any sense.

Kiwaya ukes (and I own a KTC 3 even now) are like a dashing and impeccably dressed man in a business suit...at the beach.

Tim's photos were awesome.

haole
01-30-2013, 11:33 AM
From what I could see in the videos/pictures...

Godin is the most promising newcomer to the uke world. It's hard to get excited about another guitar company attempting a line of ukes (especially when it's just a lazy exercise in rebranding), but I get the impression that Godin really did their homework when it came to designing something fresh. Can't wait to try these out!

Imua looks promising too! Reasonably-priced Hawaiian ukes that seem to be about K-brand quality are always welcome.

Glad to see Firefly banjo ukes in more sizes, and as usual the Fluke/Flea designs are super cool. Wish there was a video of the new FMM violin, though!

Also if mango becomes a standard wood for Kamaka and other K-brands I'll soil myself with joy.

Lalz
01-30-2013, 03:22 PM
From what I could see in the videos/pictures...

Godin is the most promising newcomer to the uke world. It's hard to get excited about another guitar company attempting a line of ukes (especially when it's just a lazy exercise in rebranding), but I get the impression that Godin really did their homework when it came to designing something fresh. Can't wait to try these out!

Imua looks promising too! Reasonably-priced Hawaiian ukes that seem to be about K-brand quality are always welcome.

Glad to see Firefly banjo ukes in more sizes, and as usual the Fluke/Flea designs are super cool. Wish there was a video of the new FMM violin, though!

Also if mango becomes a standard wood for Kamaka and other K-brands I'll soil myself with joy.

Oh yes! I forgot about Imua. Beautiful ukes indeed, it looks like they might go big this year.

Tigeralum2001
01-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Oh yes! I forgot about Imua. Beautiful ukes indeed, it looks like they might go big this year.

I didn't want to list everything I liked, as there were quite a few, but Imua caught my eye. As much as they bragged on their wood, I still think it pales in comparison to Kanilea. In fact, I would put what I saw just above Kamaka and KoAloha, but not by much. I would like to play one, though. Same with Kiwaya; seen a lot of them, heard a few, but I have never played one. Oh, and after seeing the Martin Iz edition, I would like one (though not for anywhere near what they are asking for it).

My mantra for now really is "thin the heard" but my flesh is weak...

AndrewKuker
01-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Talked to Fred Kamaka Jr. and he said the Mango won't be a regular option. Bummer, it sounds really good, more of a full bodied tone and sustain than than the koa, but this one is made completely by Casey so that may have something to do with it. I really hope it's around when I get back so I can record it.
I think KoAloha made everyone reevaluate tonal response and Kanilea made everyone look at their wood and finish a little better. Everyone is stepping up their game. Aratani insisted we get at least one Imua but.. They'll work it out and continue to improve. Not too far out right out of the gate. Not far in price either though, made in HI so...
New Godin is cool. We ordered 4 right away. But one of the best options in the multiac line is the synth access. I mentioned it to Godin and they kinda tilted their head at me. I said, "what? ukulele players wanna play trumpet too!"
Roland synth access is incredible fun if you guys didn't know.
Kiwayas are good ukes. If you're gonna compare vintage Martin tone....well...it depends, but the good ones can't be touched by new copies from even themselves. We may carry Martin in the future, had a great talk with them. They are supposed to visit the store next month. Mixed feelings but no factory pumps out custom level.
But to answer the OP's question, for myself, the only thing I learned at Namm was... Asturias!!! Man...so open in sound, and Japanese precise craftsmanship. Very reasonable price too. Mike said to me, you gotta check out these Japanese classical builders...good call Aratani.
Flying back tomorrow and their should be 27 ukes waiting we shipped straight from the show.

Tigeralum2001
01-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Flying back tomorrow and their should be 27 ukes waiting we shipped straight from the show.
If ukes were drugs, you would be one of the kingpins...

I must now repeat my mantra "Must thin the herd"

I'm not sure how long I can stay under control...

Plainsong
01-30-2013, 09:39 PM
The most exciting thing for me personally was the Godin. But it does seem like they crippled it for some reason.

KentSantaBarbara
01-31-2013, 05:56 AM
Andrew, You are the tip of the spear here for possible new and/or improved ukuleles. Keep us appraised of the ukuleles that come in to your shop. I'm curious about the Japanese makers as well. And as mentioned above, i am curious about the LL Baggs microphone that is placed inside the ukulele.

Thanks to Aldrine, Ukeeku, Aldrine, and of course MGM for all the photos and videos.

I would have liked to see a video interview with Flea Market Music and with Rick Turner.

AndrewKuker
01-31-2013, 07:26 AM
If ukes were drugs, you would be one of the kingpins...

Ahh..sounds so wrong. Of course if drugs were ukes they wouldn't have the same social/economic problems caused by their inability to reuse, or use and then sell to pay for others.

Gillian
01-31-2013, 07:43 AM
The most exciting thing for me personally was the Godin. But it does seem like they crippled it for some reason.

I think a more proficient player would have demonstrated the uke better. The Godin rep seemed nervous. He should have held the mike and let Aldrine play the uke! It would have been nice to have heard the range/quality of the equilizer.

Hippie Dribble
01-31-2013, 08:23 AM
I would have liked to see a video interview with Flea Market Music
hey Kent, this one Aldrine did with Jim last year is excellent and still worth watching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07vIaZveOFw

ukeeku
01-31-2013, 08:40 AM
I would have liked to see a video interview with Flea Market Music and with Rick Turner.

That is weird. Flea-market had a ton of new stuff. A concert neck FireFly, Dye-sublimation printed tops, and even an experimental violin.

Plainsong
01-31-2013, 09:24 AM
I think a more proficient player would have demonstrated the uke better. The Godin rep seemed nervous. He should have held the mike and let Aldrine play the uke! It would have been nice to have heard the range/quality of the equilizer.

No, I meant the lack of synth. The guitars in this series have it, but apparently it's against their religion to give full functionality of the guitars, to the ukes. The price is good though.

Gillian
01-31-2013, 10:22 AM
No, I meant the lack of synth. The guitars in this series have it, but apparently it's against their religion to give full functionality of the guitars, to the ukes. The price is good though.

That too!:o

I bet the next models will have the synth access.

mds725
01-31-2013, 10:24 AM

I know it isn't quite the same thing, and a lot has happened for Rick and his Compass Rose ukuleles in two years, but here's a link to Aldrine's interview with Rick from the 2011 Winter NAMM exhibition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzjtjQzVES0

Rick posted elsewhere in the UU forums that he was on the guitar floor this year near a bunch of drums. It may have been that Aldrine only interviewed people with booths in the ukulele area (it's my understanding that acoustic stringed instruments were on a different floor than where Rick was), or that Rick's area was too noisy for an interview, or that there were just too darn many ukulele builders to interview this year for Aldrine to get to them all. Having said that, I agree that it would have been great to hear Rick talk about his plans for the coming year and to see what he was exhibiting at this year's NAMM exhibition.

Here's a video Rick made from the 2012 Winter NAMM exhibition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxs-yYM9-2s

teruterubouzu
01-31-2013, 04:31 PM
I know you should pick a ukulele based on sound, but I have to confess I am in love with the Gretsch Camp Uke reissue. I suppose someone will break my heart and tell me it is terrible... Might not matter to me because it is so cute...

gyosh
01-31-2013, 06:36 PM
I know you should pick a ukulele based on sound, but I have to confess I am in love with the Gretsch Camp Uke reissue. I suppose someone will break my heart and tell me it is terrible... Might not matter to me because it is so cute...

I like your username :)

Rick Turner
01-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Basically, new for us this year includes 14 fret tenors on our "traditional" body with the sound hole and bracing moved a bit; the nano-jumbo 14 fret concert, the micro-jumbo 14 fret tenor, the cutaway "Le Jazz" version of that one, and coming right up a 6 string (four course) tenor, AND a mini-jumbo baritone. I wasn't able to show them all at NAMM...crazy fall and early winter...but we're making them. I'm considering starting NOW for next year's show, and we'll be back downstairs where we belong.

gyosh
01-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Basically, new for us this year includes 14 fret tenors on our "traditional" body with the sound hole and bracing moved a bit; the nano-jumbo 14 fret concert, the micro-jumbo 14 fret tenor, the cutaway "Le Jazz" version of that one, and coming right up a 6 string (four course) tenor, AND a mini-jumbo baritone. I wasn't able to show them all at NAMM...crazy fall and early winter...but we're making them. I'm considering starting NOW for next year's show, and we'll be back downstairs where we belong.

Hey Rick . . . will you have pics on your website or facebook page?

6 string?

::sigh:: Better start saving my change again :)

Plainsong
01-31-2013, 07:13 PM

I think I just had a crisis.

Rick Turner
02-01-2013, 09:17 AM
I'll post a bunch of pics. There are some floating around of the ukes we brought to NAMM...two of which went to Mim. We're going for a complete re-do of our website, and I should have a bunch of great pictures there in about two months. The Sarah Maisel "Le Jazz" model really came out nice, but I didn't get pics of it...since I finished it up the day before driving to NAMM. Spruce top, tight curl flame maple back and sides, curly maple neck, ebony 'board, miniature Super 400 shape with cutaway...not easy to bend, but wonderfully in proportion. White binding with lots of black/white purfling here and there. Got to make one for myself now!

teruterubouzu
02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
I like your username :)

Thanks, gyosh!

Newportlocal
02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
I'll post a bunch of pics. There are some floating around of the ukes we brought to NAMM...two of which went to Mim. We're going for a complete re-do of our website, and I should have a bunch of great pictures there in about two months. The Sarah Maisel "Le Jazz" model really came out nice, but I didn't get pics of it...since I finished it up the day before driving to NAMM. Spruce top, tight curl flame maple back and sides, curly maple neck, ebony 'board, miniature Super 400 shape with cutaway...not easy to bend, but wonderfully in proportion. White binding with lots of black/white purfling here and there. Got to make one for myself now!

Looking forward to the pics and your new website, and eventually seeing one of your cutaways.

Guicgaspar
02-01-2013, 12:01 PM
https://vimeo.com/58725023 Kamaka Mango

UKISOCIETY
02-03-2013, 02:52 AM
:pics:

(well, almost worthless!)

Gillian
02-05-2013, 07:59 AM

I verified with Godin that the Multiuke does not have a 13 pin synth access, only the standard 1/4". They should be in stores by April but can be pre-ordered through a Godin dealer.

I want to see, hold and play one before I buy.

scothut
02-05-2013, 08:51 AM
I was really impressed with the Kanile'a booth and the owners were very nice. We'll hopefully be carrying them soon.

casasmith
02-16-2013, 04:24 PM
that is ONE AWESOME 3D rendering of TUS....good job!!

Brad Bordessa
02-16-2013, 06:27 PM
What about the Zoom MS-70 single-space delay, reverb, and chorus multi-effects pedal? Great for the guys like me who like their sound wet but don't want to carry a big board around. Stoked.

hawaii 50
03-02-2013, 04:13 AM
Sorry not to have been down in Hall E, but a few UU folks found me...in drum hell in Hall D. Happy to have Mim on board as well as Andrew and Music Guy Mike. They were all fighting over the ab purfled koa Compass Rose tenor, but Mim called it first. Now I just have to make more ukes! They are becoming a main focus of our business here...

Aloha Rick..

happy to see Andrew and MGM going to carry your Compass Rose ukes at The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) not to many in Hawaii..I hope it works out..

if anyone on Oahu wants to try my Koa CR get ahold of MGM and I will let them sample it..I play it everyday!

Dan Uke
03-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Aloha Rick..

happy to see Andrew and MGM going to carry your Compass Rose ukes at The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) not to many in Hawaii..I hope it works out..

if anyone on Oahu wants to try my Koa CR get ahold of MGM and I will let them sample it..I play it everyday!

Tell Rick to send your new one down to Socal and I'll break it in and do a review. I promise to send it to Hawaii eventuallly :p

hawaii 50
03-02-2013, 05:35 AM
Tell Rick to send your new one down to Socal and I'll break it in and do a review. I promise to send it to Hawaii eventuallly :p

Good one Daniel..haha
looks like the CR that Mim has came from the same billet of Koa as mine..but that one has the abalone all over it..Wow

have a nice day keep on strumming