PDA

View Full Version : New Uke Day - Rapid fire UAS - KPK Concert

Macmuse
01-30-2013, 05:46 AM
Turns out this is more like New Uke Week than New Uke Day at our house. Had to have a concert sized one. :)

The solid acacia is a bit heavier than I expected and a bit darker as well. But it sounds just great with the Worth clears that they sent on it.

After playing the lacewood soprano and the okoume and cherry tenors, I really like the size of the concert neck.

ukemunga
01-30-2013, 05:48 AM
I really loving mine! Becoming the main axe. Really great action, easy to play! Gotta get a MiSi in it now!!! Always something to spend money on.

mm stan
01-30-2013, 06:00 AM
Aloha and Congratulations....
Yup I have a KPK and it was one of my first ukes...Actually I bought several KPK ukes..and still play mine...my Deluxe had a richer woodsy tone while my regular basic one
was brighter....have fun and happy strumming...yes the are very comfortable and eay playability....I know one of the sellers too, he is a friend of my friend...woo hoo Your friend Stan

PhilUSAFRet
01-30-2013, 06:30 AM
I have the concert cutaway standard model with ebony nut and saddle. A little heavy, but rings like a bell. Has aquilas on it (I think the ebony tames them) and I wouldn't change a thing. This one' a keeper.

KoaDependent
01-30-2013, 07:42 AM
I really loving mine! Becoming the main axe. Really great action, easy to play! Gotta get a MiSi in it now!!! Always something to spend money on.

That makes me happy to hear, man. Glad it went to a good home.

ukemunga
01-30-2013, 07:56 AM
That makes me happy to hear, man. Glad it went to a good home.

Yes, I must admit I wasn't sure at first but had been used to hearing my red cedar pineapple with Fremonts on it... bright and loud!!! The KPK I thought was too quiet but that's not really true. And the sound is great, very Koa-ish. Love it. Definitely got a good home! And it's strange how much better it sounds when someone else is playing it. ;)

808boy
01-30-2013, 10:20 AM
I have 2, a Standard Concert and a Deluxe Tenor. KPKs are a great bang for the buck. Both bought from Jason on ebay who has great customer service and a pleasure to deal with................

Macmuse
01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Okay all you KPK owners, which strings do you prefer on the acacia and why? It's been fascinating to me in switching strings on a couple just how big a difference they make.

Oh, and do you have the rosewood or did you opt for bone nut and saddle?

KoaDependent
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
The Worth Clears were very nice but Living Water had an even clearer and sweeter belltone in the higher frets. I had the bone nut and saddle, btw.
Aquilas were the worst.

PhilUSAFRet
01-30-2013, 02:41 PM
When I got the concert, it had Aquilas on it and an ebony nut and saddle. savagehenry played it also and we agree....wouldn't change a thing. Not sure if I'd be as happy with the Aquilas if it had a bone nut and saddle...never tried it, probably never will. Too happy with it the way it is.

ukemunga
01-31-2013, 03:54 AM
The Worth Clears were very nice but Living Water had an even clearer and sweeter belltone in the higher frets. I had the bone nut and saddle, btw.
Aquilas were the worst.

Hi Brian, what strings did you ship that with? I assumed they are Worth Hard Tensions? They're still on there. Was thinking about the Worth CMs or LW next.

UkueBass23
01-31-2013, 04:27 AM
I just got one of these too! Sounds like the same as yours. I am loving mine as well. Worth Clears as well. Though I am going to swap the Low G out for a guitar string that Jason sent me to try. Looking for a bit more power and clarity on the Low G, like I have on my Ohana CK-50GS. Enjoy, I think they are beautifully made.

KoaDependent
01-31-2013, 05:12 AM
Hi Brian, what strings did you ship that with? I assumed they are Worth Hard Tensions? They're still on there. Was thinking about the Worth CMs or LW next.

D'Addario T2 Titanium. Only fluorocarbons I could get my hands on at a local music store.

Macmuse
01-31-2013, 07:56 AM
I just got one of these too! Sounds like the same as yours. I am loving mine as well. Worth Clears as well. Though I am going to swap the Low G out for a guitar string that Jason sent me to try. Looking for a bit more power and clarity on the Low G, like I have on my Ohana CK-50GS. Enjoy, I think they are beautifully made.

The differences are mine isn't deluxe and I went with High G. :)

We have two Low G tenors to work with so I'm enjoying this one reentrant.