Sore thumb 6yr old

ukejj

Reaction score
Wee man is supposed to be playing his uke in school again tomorrow, for students parents and carers fingerpicking auld Lang syne, but he has a sore thumb, has taken the skin off the end :(. I tried making him a plectrum and he didn't like it, he tried with his fingers instead of thumb and didn't quite manage it, put a plaster on it and said it didn't work either.

Don't have time to get anything :( its already almost 10pm here and he was meant to be playing tomorrow. Oh well there's always next year!

Sometimes, I use a little medical tape. Maybe a bandaid would even do the job. Medical tape seems to hold and strum a little better.

Yeah I was going to say a bandaid. Hope it all works out!

I am so distressed to hear this! I will think good thoughts.

Last edited:
Maybe "Liquid Bandage" would work....several coats? May rub off, but hopefully not before he finishes the song.

the problem is not the thumb, but the mindset. he's probably sad and/or angry now about his little thumb misfortune, and he even may think that all is lost. :( ;) but there is a good lesson to be learned in here, a lesson about overcoming hardships and making things work under less-than-perfect conditions.
If he decides to play his uke tomorrow, he will be so proud afterwards, and even if the performance might be sub-par, he will receive plenty respect for his guts to play even with half a thumb. And the next time something interferes with any of his plans, he will have more self-esteem, because he will remember this small victory. He's not going to have any small injury ever keep him from performing again. :)

on the technical side of things, I think medical tape is the way to go. try to apply it close-fitting, with no edges and wrinkles.

thaks everyone

we tried a 'bandaid' we call them plasters, but didn't work, he said he couldn't strum with it on. Didn't have any medical tape

they had 2 'shows' so he missed out on Thursdays to allow his thumb to heal a bit, and was able to play today. (Friday) He got such a huge round of applause. Happy wee boy! He was the star of the show!

thaks everyone

we tried a 'bandaid' we call them plasters, but didn't work, he said he couldn't strum with it on. Didn't have any medical tape

they had 2 'shows' so he missed out on Thursdays to allow his thumb to heal a bit, and was able to play today. (Friday) He got such a huge round of applause. Happy wee boy! He was the star of the show!

Love to hear he played friday,and he was star of the show. More importantly that he was happy. Great stuff.:D

that's great, good to hear! :)

Top Bottom