#2nd Build

DPO

Reaction score
Mostly New Zealand native timbers. Body is a block construction made from NZ Rimu, neck is heart Rimu with a Rata spline. Headstock is Sycamore and the end cap is alternating segments of Rata and Sycamore. Neck is Rata also known as ironwood for obvious reasons when you start to work it. :( Position markers are Sycamore.

Regards
Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 78
Mostly New Zealand native timbers. Body is a block construction made from NZ Rimu, neck is heart Rimu with a Rata spline. Headstock is Sycamore and the end cap is alternating segments of Rata and Sycamore. Neck is Rata also known as ironwood for obvious reasons when you start to work it. :( Position markers are Sycamore.

Regards
Dennis

Very pretty! I'm particularly taken with the headstock shape. Well done!

Very nice build. I think for my next build I may build a banjo uke. Where did you source the j-hooks and tension hoop? I didn't see any in banjo uke size at stewmac.

Very nice build. I think for my next build I may build a banjo uke. Where did you source the j-hooks and tension hoop? I didn't see any in banjo uke size at stewmac.

Thanks. The Tension hoop is from this guy in Czechoslovakia http://www.ptacekbanjo.com/handmade_data/uke_banjo.html and the j hooks and associated hardware are from Rickard banjo's in Canada
http://store.rickardbanjos.com/ Rickard also has the 8" tension hoop but a little dearer and not always in stock, though his quality is superb. They appear to be really hard to find in 8" maybe someone will chime in with more info.
Kind Regards Dennis

Man, nice work!

Those alternating pieces on the bottom are a nice touch, and I dig the sycamore fret markers.

Nice looking uke. You might want to try the new Gotoh UPT Planetary tuners next time. The 4:1 gear ration is perfect for ukes and they don't way a lot more than the friction tuners you are using.

Nice looking uke. You might want to try the new Gotoh UPT Planetary tuners next time. The 4:1 gear ration is perfect for ukes and they don't way a lot more than the friction tuners you are using.

Hi, thanks for the info, you're quite right about the geared tuners, however $70/$75 versus $10 that's quite a difference when I will be selling the uke rather than keeping it. Even then I can buy a set on E bay ( non Gotoh )for aroung $40.00. So I may go that way next time. Again thanks for the info.
Kind Regards Dennis

Very nice....the finish looks awesome
So do you call that rim a Rimurim? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom