Songs I know so far... any other ideas?

LutzSpearo

Reaction score
I only know a few songs so far, thought I post them here and maybe generate some suggestions. (By the way, when I say I can "play", I mean that I can play well enough that the song is recognizable - if I say what song I'm gunna play and the person listening is kind enough to say "Oh, I know that song!" hahaha!)

I can play "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I know it by memory because I play it almost every night for my 2 year old daughter. However, after I play it once or twice, she starts saying "Panda! Panda!" because she wants to watch Bruddah Iz sing it on YouTube... I guess she thinks he looks like a big cute panda bear lol : )

I can also play "I've Been Working on the Railroad" and also know it by heart because my daughter likes it.

I can play "Fisherman's Blues" by the Waterboys. Very easy song to play, and has always been one of my favorite songs. Highly recommend checking out this song, its a great tune. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VKouBHarIo&feature=player_embedded

I can play "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen, cool song and nice and slow.

I can play "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, kind of.

I just learned how to play "Surf" by the Ka'au Crater Boys, fun song.

The next song I want to learn is "White Sandy Beach"... I've found a couple tutorial videos on YouTube so far, but if anybody has a source they would recommend I'd love to hear about it.

Any other suggestions for good songs for beginners? Any songs are welcome, although I do love Hawaiian-sounding tunes as I lived there for several years. I know a few tab sites, but you can also give your favorite source along with the recommended song.

I need to learn more songs to justify the tenor I want to buy. Damn UAS :)

Last edited:
Try the "Daily Ukulele" songbooks or something similar. They're modestly priced and have a huge variety of tunes in them, all with chord diagrams. They range from simple two chord songs to old jazz standards with lots of challenges. Our local ukulele group uses them so we all have a common and convenient reference for our group get togethers. They also have sections of holiday and kids songs - I'm using it to teach my 9 year old how to play and it's working very well. There are so many tunes to choose from, you'll have no problem finding familiar songs that you like to work on, even as you progress and need more difficult material.

Since you like Surf and White Sandy Beach...this one is a fun one ...it's Called "Molokai Slide" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c4lOq9hkiU

F Dm
I like the sand spreading out to the sea, I like the tropical moon and the lazy
Bb C7 F C7
palm trees, I like to listen to my heart, there¹s no place I'd rather be
F Dm
I like the people, I like the way they smile, I like the feeling of you on this
Bb C7 F C7
paradise isle, I like the cool island gecko, man this is where I wanna be

Chorus:
F Dm
Take me back. Back to da kine. Take me back. Back to da kine
Bb C7 F C7
All over, mo` betta, Moloka'i I will return
(Repeat)

F Dm
I like the gecko singing in the night, I like to do the dance they do to the
Bb C7 F C7
Moloka'i Slide, When the sun comes up shining, always mo` betta da kine
F Dm
I like to hula, I think it¹s really good, woman I don't understand the words,
Bb C7 F C7
but in time, I think I could, if I just had the time, oh if I just had the time

Dm Am
I say a won't you come along, we'll have a lu'au by the sea
Dm Am
We¹ll cook a little pig and all the coconuts are free
Bb Am
And what you see is what you get. In a little grass shack
Gm C7
I know you're gonna like it and I hope that you come back

F Dm
I like the fishes swimming round in the sea, I like to hop 'um on the grill,
Bb C7
and cook 'um up for me, with a big pan of butter, man it can't get
F C7
better than this
F Dm
I like the chicken, we hop 'um on the grill, man it hurts to eat the raw fish
Bb C7 F
and eat up all the spills. Oh well, oh yeah. It¹s just a luau by the sea.

Chorus

Bb C7 F
All over. Mo betta, Moloka`i I will return

Last edited:
I'm teaching a 'beginner' ukulele class and we've completed 12 of 19 lessons already.

We'll be focusing on Hawaiian & Hapa-Haole songs so here's a link to the MP3s and pdfs
for the class:

http://www.mediafire.com/?28du22myj6jao

I hope this will help you. Also, please click on the Boot Camp link in my signature for some
hints and tips.

keep uke'in',

Oh wow, great suggestions everyone!!! Skidoo, when I get a chance I'll take a look at some of those books in depth. HBolte, thanks for linking that thread, I love the 5 Foot 2 lesson, I spent the past 2 hours practicing it, I got it down except for the melody techniques, that still needs some work... very fun song! MM Stan, great link, I know that song well, can't wait to practice it over the weekend, thanks for typing out the music with chords! Huge help! And Uncle Rod, I use your Boot Camp plan several times per week, and am thrilled you chimed in, thanks! I'll go through those lessons you linked this weekend.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions! I like how they are kind of challenging for a beginner, as the very basic songs are boring me. And living overseas and not being able to get group or private lessons in English, this forum and all these links are like a treasure to me! Thank you thank you!!!

Last edited:
Here's the Hukilau Song. It's a fun one, hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

• Hukilau song.pdf
    15.3 KB · Views: 7
Try to learn Lemonade by Jeremy Passion. It's a good one and it's pretty easy. I'm a beginner and it only took me a few minutes.

Count on Me by Bruno Mars
Guava Jelly by Ka'au Crater Boys
Opihi Man by Ka'au Crater Boys
The Show by Lenka
Xmas Songs...
Wipe Out

Top Bottom