How do i make a curve in the neck to fit banjolele drum?

banjolelebsi

Reaction score
Hi all

I have one of those tools that you use for measuring curves and contours but i am wondering how to actually cut the curve out in the neck so it fits the drum really snugly. At the mo i am just butting the neck up against the drum and though it workd it looks ugly.

All help appreciated.

Simon

We use a pretty fancy router setup for it. I also have seen people rough cut it and then finish it off on a jig attached to a spinning drum the size of the banjo pot.

We have a step in ours, so it really takes two cuts. Also, don't forget to have a small amount of back angle to the neck so that the bridge can be a normal height.

How are you attaching the neck? I don't do glued butt joints...but with bolt on joints I usually over-hollow out the neck with a chisel. It only has to look flush at the edges if the top is hidden by the fret board and the bottom is hidden by the heel cap.

I fit mine free hand with a 2" sanding drum in my drill and smaller drums in my Dremel. There are more pictures in my album. IMG_1400.jpg

Last edited:
Okay. Here's an off the cuff video.
And here's what I forgot to mention in the video:
1. Please practice on scrap. This will enable you to get the right fit first, THEN run your neck.
2. The bottom board needs to be clamped to the table - obvious, yes, but I'd feel like a jerk if I didn't mention it. Think about how the top board will move before you size the bottom board so you will have enough swing without hitting a clamp.
3. The thinner diameter the sanding drum you use, the more accurate your results will be. Also, if your sanding drum is at least a little longer then your heel is tall, then you will not have to raise and lower your sanding drum to create the radius.
4. You need to determine your radius to know where to position the jig, but you still will want to "creep up on" your final pass.
5. I shot the video because I wanted to help, so please pardon the (lack of) quality. The video is not searchable on YouTube.
6. You might find more info on this on a banjo site.
7. The pivot point must be on the centerline.

I think that's it. Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0yj1SYtHd0

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help and instructions. They are much appreciated.

Special thanks to Tobinsuke for the off the cuff video which made sense to me. Very informative, will have to make that jig now.

Cheers

Simon

Top Bottom