Giannini Baritone

pdxuke

Reaction score
In my continuing quest to educate myself on the ways of the Barry, I'd like to ask about Giannini.

My search for threads both here and Flea Market Music indicates mixed opinions. Some feel they shine, some feel they are overbuilt and clunky. What sez you: anyone have an opinion?

I have a KPK concert that's overbuilt and clunky....compared to my Pono concert, but I don't care because it siiiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggggsssssss beautifully. Depends on what you expect. I wouldn't mind trying one if I could get a good one at the right price. Primo ones can get a little pricey.

If the ukes are anything like the guitars it depends on what era it comes from. Supposedly the guitars made by the old man back in the very early twentieth century were quite good, one-off crafted stuff. By the seventies they seemed, like most companies of that time, to be more concerned with quantity than quality. The old man had died, the ones running the company had the hearts of accountants, etc. The typical story.

That said, I had a Giannini classical guitar from the early seventies that had great tone even though the construction was obviously mass produced and of about the quality we associate with the better Chinese instruments today.

John

You are close enough you can come down and play either of my Gianinni baritones, or either cavaquinho strung as ukulele. I am not as fond of the one tuned GCEA as the dGBE tuning on the other. It will probably get changed to dGBe. Thank You , Dirk!!

Top Bottom