looking for the name of a chord. Maybe a B something. Not sure?

nozzle

Reaction score
I was goofing around last night and accidentally found a chord. I have no idea what to call it. I was playing an Eminor and then just moved everything up one string. So tabbed it would be.
|-----|
|--2--|
|--3--|
|--4--|

Like I said I'm playing it with an Eminor, A, A7, E7. I sounds pretty good so I'm thinking it must be a form of B chord As that would fall with in the key of E and would fit in with the both E and A chords. No idea though.
If you could name it or come up with a name for it that would be great.:eek:

That's a B7.

Yeah, if you use the bottom string open, but without it like your diagram it is just a B major.

I didn't see a "0" on the A string in the OP's diagram. So without an A note (the b7 of B) it can't be a true 7th chord. On your chord finder there I don't see a way to mute the unused strings. So without a fretted note it automatically uses the open string (A in this case). That's why it's showing Bdom7 when it's really just a B triad.

B (OP's diagram):

Code:
|---|
|-2-|
|-3-|
|-4-|

B7:

Code:
|-0-|
|-2-|
|-3-|
|-4-|

Edit: Perhaps the OP is playing a B7, but just didn't notate it. It would make sense seeing how he found it, but I was just going by what he tabbed.

Last edited:
I didn't see a "0" on the A string in the OP's diagram. So without an A note (the b7 of B) it can't be a true 7th chord. On your chord finder there I don't see a way to mute the unused strings. So without a fretted note it automatically uses the open string (A in this case). That's why it's showing Bdom7 when it's really just a B triad.

B (OP's diagram):

Code:
|---|
|-2-|
|-3-|
|-4-|

B7:

Code:
|-0-|
|-2-|
|-3-|
|-4-|

Edit: Perhaps the OP is playing a B7, but just didn't notate it. It would make sense seeing how he found it, but I was just going by what he tabbed.

My guess is that ther OP meant that the A string wasn't being fretted, not that it wasn't being played, but you're right that if the A string isn't being played at all, the chord isn't a B7.

Here is another great chord tool. http://www.ukulele.nl/chordfinder.php

This is a great tool, but it doesn't allow you to show it what notes you're playing and let it identify the chord for you. It's also a smartphone app, I think.

I took it as a played open A string. No 0, but neither is there an X. I guess I'm just a positive sorta guy! ;-)

Sorry that's my mistake. Yes I leave the A open not muted. So a B7 not the way I normally play it but it sounds so much cooler in the chord progression I'm playing.

B (OP's diagram):

Code:
|---|
|-2-|
|-3-|
|-4-|

B7:

Code:
|-0-|
|-2-|
|-3-|
|-4-|

Top Bottom