Risa Tenor Stick or Pono Tenor with Mi-Si

bildio

Reaction score
I play for my own enjoyment, sitting in front of my computer, & no audience.

Should I get a Risa tenor stick or install a Mi-Si pickup in my Pono tenor?

My question is NOT about installing a Mi-Si. I've reviewed lots of information about installing a Mi-Si, & I'm confident about doing the work, except for modifying the saddle & possibly adversely effecting the uke's current setup. I plan to buy an extra saddle to work on, & hopefully I could go back to the original/unmodified saddle if I ran into a problem with the Mi-Si installation.

Well you have the concert stick already, so why not just go for the misi option? I did both. In the summer I got a misi installed on the Kanilea. Then by December I decided I wanted the uke solid as well. Not regretting either. :)

Well you have the concert stick already, so why not just go for the misi option? I did both. In the summer I got a misi installed on the Kanilea. Then by December I decided I wanted the uke solid as well. Not regretting either. :)

That's the way I'm leaning. Thanks

I would install the Mi-Si on the Pono too.
Getting the Risa Tenor stick won't be much of a different instrument to the Concert stick. They're nearly identical..

Installing a pickup on the Pono, however, will add new capabilities to the instrument, as well as sounding different through amplification than the Risa.

The Risa's tone is more "electric" - longer sustain and useable with many effects like an electric guitar.

A Pono's amplified tone will be closer to a more natural acoustic tone. Not as versatile with electronics, but probably a bit more natural sounding.

Or if you're open to new experiences, why not spend the money on a Baritone uke? I see you don't already have one.

KoOlau CE1 is ideal for your purposes. Sometimes can get used for around 600. Amazing instrument. Baggs active pickup is part of it.

Barring that, Pono with MiSi.

I love my soprano Risa stick, but as you know, it pretty much requires a strap.

I've owned 4 Risa sticks - two sopranos, concert and tenor.

While a strap helps, I didn't think it pretty much required one. Perhaps it depends on the individual

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6-9WId4Tbw

i agree with neal on this video. a strap helps due to narrow body. glad risa includes one (and is the only ukulele I have ever seen that includes one with the instrument).

CE 1 Koolau...the bomb, though.

Original poster, here's a lovely video of a gentleman compariing the plusses and minuses of a dedicated eletric uke versus an acoustic uke with a pickup--maybe this will help you, bildio:

Last edited:
Top Bottom