PDA

View Full Version : Risa Tenor Stick or Pono Tenor with Mi-Si

bildio
01-31-2013, 01:30 PM
I play for my own enjoyment, sitting in front of my computer, & no audience.

Should I get a Risa tenor stick or install a Mi-Si pickup in my Pono tenor?

My question is NOT about installing a Mi-Si. I've reviewed lots of information about installing a Mi-Si, & I'm confident about doing the work, except for modifying the saddle & possibly adversely effecting the uke's current setup. I plan to buy an extra saddle to work on, & hopefully I could go back to the original/unmodified saddle if I ran into a problem with the Mi-Si installation.

Plainsong
01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Well you have the concert stick already, so why not just go for the misi option? I did both. In the summer I got a misi installed on the Kanilea. Then by December I decided I wanted the uke solid as well. Not regretting either. :)

bildio
01-31-2013, 11:44 PM
Well you have the concert stick already, so why not just go for the misi option? I did both. In the summer I got a misi installed on the Kanilea. Then by December I decided I wanted the uke solid as well. Not regretting either. :)

That's the way I'm leaning. Thanks

kissing
02-01-2013, 01:41 AM
I would install the Mi-Si on the Pono too.
Getting the Risa Tenor stick won't be much of a different instrument to the Concert stick. They're nearly identical..

Installing a pickup on the Pono, however, will add new capabilities to the instrument, as well as sounding different through amplification than the Risa.

The Risa's tone is more "electric" - longer sustain and useable with many effects like an electric guitar.

A Pono's amplified tone will be closer to a more natural acoustic tone. Not as versatile with electronics, but probably a bit more natural sounding.

Or if you're open to new experiences, why not spend the money on a Baritone uke? I see you don't already have one.

coolkayaker1
02-01-2013, 01:46 AM
KoOlau CE1 is ideal for your purposes. Sometimes can get used for around 600. Amazing instrument. Baggs active pickup is part of it.

Barring that, Pono with MiSi.

I love my soprano Risa stick, but as you know, it pretty much requires a strap.

kissing
02-01-2013, 03:59 AM
I've owned 4 Risa sticks - two sopranos, concert and tenor.

While a strap helps, I didn't think it pretty much required one. Perhaps it depends on the individual

Plainsong
02-01-2013, 06:26 AM
It's not required, straps. I like to sort of decorate mine with them, but it's not required.

coolkayaker1
02-01-2013, 07:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6-9WId4Tbw

i agree with neal on this video. a strap helps due to narrow body. glad risa includes one (and is the only ukulele I have ever seen that includes one with the instrument).

CE 1 Koolau...the bomb, though.

Original poster, here's a lovely video of a gentleman compariing the plusses and minuses of a dedicated eletric uke versus an acoustic uke with a pickup--maybe this will help you, bildio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvsU0jyCn98