Stretching Fingers on the Fretboard

BBQUKER

Reaction score
I play tenors fingerstyle. I am really getting into some of Colin Tribe's arrangements. However, I am finding some of his stretches are way beyond my ability. For example on House of the Rising Sun it's a pinky on the 4th string 12th fret and I guess my nose on 2nd fret on the first string. He does say, however, if that is too much of a stretch use the 9th fret on the 4th string. Still no way. Best I can do is a 7 and 2 with a decent sound. So for the last three years I have been doing stretches but alas I can strech no further (it has gotten better). What I am wondering is whether on a concert I could maybe stretch one more fret? I believe Colin plays these on a soprano, but I would really not like to get into that size. On a lot of these stretches I do either eliminate playing the first string or try to find some other alternative but then the arrangement loses what it is supposed to sound like. So, do I save up for a concert? By the way my go to tenor currently is a Pono ATC-PC. Also a Mainland tenor that I have set up for low G.

Thanks - Dan

I suck at finger stretches, but on Rising Sun there's no need to copy someone else when you don't need to. For the 12th fret stretch, if you've got good intonation, just finger the A string 12th fret and leave the rest open. Sonically, the ear is fooled. Then walk back down to 10th fret A, then bar the 4th fret with pinky on the 7th fret A, (which is back down to E, let the 7th fret ring out before barring the 4th), and you should have it from there. I do use a D that's 222+5 at this point.

Is it 100% correctly fingered? No, but the ear fills it in, and you can use this to jam with anyone playing The Animals version on organ.

Last edited:
I play tenors fingerstyle. I am really getting into some of Colin Tribe's arrangements. However, I am finding some of his stretches are way beyond my ability. For example on House of the Rising Sun it's a pinky on the 4th string 12th fret and I guess my nose on 2nd fret on the first string. He does say, however, if that is too much of a stretch use the 9th fret on the 4th string. Still no way. Best I can do is a 7 and 2 with a decent sound. So for the last three years I have been doing stretches but alas I can strech no further (it has gotten better). What I am wondering is whether on a concert I could maybe stretch one more fret? I believe Colin plays these on a soprano, but I would really not like to get into that size. On a lot of these stretches I do either eliminate playing the first string or try to find some other alternative but then the arrangement loses what it is supposed to sound like. So, do I save up for a concert? By the way my go to tenor currently is a Pono ATC-PC. Also a Mainland tenor that I have set up for low G.

Thanks - Dan

Just so we're on the same page. 1st string is the one closest to your toes, right? And the 4th is the string closest to your chin? That is a crazy stretch. I play concert necks, have big hands, and there is no way I can make that work. Not even close. If you mean the strings the other way (1st by your chin, 4th by your toes), then I can ALMOST do it, but I'm muting the middle strings.

Are you playing anything on the middle strings? Cos if not, there are alternative finger positions.

Wish I could see the music...

are you tuned high or low G?

Are talking high or low g?

Thanks for responses. The 4th string is closest to the toes in my initial post. And Plainsong what you said is what I kinda do. I was using this as an example of some of the stretches in certain arrangements (although this example is pretty extreme) that I play. My real question (and I probably was not too clear) would going to a concert allow for let's say and 8 to 2 stretch easier than a 7 to 2 stretch. Hope that is clearer.

And Kimosabe it is high G onone uke and low G on the other. Lack of stretching ability is the same on either tenor.

And I know I should go to my local uke dealer and see for myself. However, I am in the North Central Wisconsin hinterlands and no dealers in sight. If I would purchase it would be sight unseen.

Thanks again, Dan

A concert probably would make it easier. I can reach things on my concert that I can't on a tenor neck, though I'm not postive it's a whole fret's worth.

Edited to add: Going to a soprano would make a lot of difference though (still can't imagine 2 to 12 even on that), and they're really fun.

Last edited:
I have figured out that the only way to play some of Colin's arrangements is to use a soprano scale instrument. Even then, there can be a bit of a stretch at times.

Is there a way to get a hold of the tab for Colin Tibe's arrangement of House of the Rising Sun? I can't find the tabs on his website. Is all this based on learning from his video? thanks, kimo

BBquer: Keep your current uke and know that you have it good. lol

I once said to my accompanist that I could never play piano like her, because my hand span wasn't even an octave. I have short stumpy fingers. She showed me her hands, which were freakishly small like a 5 year old's. That shut me up. Where there's a will, there's a way. :)

Thanks everyone. Maybe a soprano is in my future.

kimosabe- e-mail colin at colinrtribe@btinternet.com (do not forget the "r" between colin and tribe as I once did). He will send one free arrangement (just ask for Rising Sun) and then you pay for any additional. Last time I paid around $16 US for 12 arrangements. Do not know how I got them, but I printed out a list of all of his arrangements. They are challenging (at least to me).

Dan

Top Bottom