Not thrilled with new Kala KA KCE ukulele.

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I bought a Kala Koa Concert electric/acoustic from musicguymic. First off, I can't say enough great things about him...great packaging, super fast shipping and the hard case, book and pitch pipe were all nice additions.

Unfortunately, in playing it, I have found that I'm not crazy about the sound of it. I knew it was not solid wood (guess I should have bought the cedartop solid) and that it was bright sounding, but it almost sounds tinny and excessively bright. In comparison, I have a $70 soprano from Honolulu Ukulele Company that I kept playing alternately, and the cheap soprano actually sounded better.

I like the aspect of the pickup and the ability to use an amp, but honestly, for this money I think I would be better off forgetting that option and getting something else.

Fortunately, Mike has an awesome return policy within 3 days (and I just notified him that I'm not keen on the uke), but I just don't know what to do.
Perhaps the sound will grow on me the more I play it, but I can't help but wish I had bought something else instead.

I would probably end up trying to return it to Mike and get the KA-KTE-CT KOA (tenor solid cedartop with pickup) instead and just pay the extra $60. Or I would get the KA-KC-CT without the pickup. I don't have to have the amp ability, and I prefer the styling without the cutaway but I'm so confused at this point, I don't know what to do.:confused:

If I were you I'd opt for that tenor cedartop. But I'm not sure if MGM does returns? I don't know. But hey, if you've got a concert you don't want I'm sure some of us could put it to good use ;) haha

Mike I love you man! I called Mike and he was kind enough to let me send back the old KA KCE and I'm going with the tenor cedartop (I'm glad you agree Jimmy). I think it is well worth the extra $60.

Mike is the best. I can't say enough about his customer service and extreme patience with me.

Can't wait to get that new tenor cedartop so I can resume torturing my neighbors and my honey with my ukulele playing again.
:music: "Tiny Bubbles...in the wine..."

Good Luck

Good Luck with your problems, hope everything turns out well

What kind of strings were on it? Sometimes that makes a whole world of difference.

What kind of strings were on it? Sometimes that makes a whole world of difference.

It had the Aquila strings that musicguymic always puts on his ukes. But I'm happy...I'm getting the tenor solid cedarwood w/ pickup. It cost a little more but I think it's worth it.

It had the Aquila strings that musicguymic always puts on his ukes. But I'm happy...I'm getting the tenor solid cedarwood w/ pickup. It cost a little more but I think it's worth it.

Yup the cedar top is nice. We're giving one away in our next contest.

I would think it was the Aquilla's more than the Kala...

I know lot's of folks like them myself included... on Uke's they sound good on.

Can't stand them on my Kala KA-Soprano's or my KA-Tenor make them both sound tinny but I LOVE them on my Pono Mahogany Soprano and they sound fantastic on my buddys Pono Mahogany Tenor.

I would think it was the Aquilla's more than the Kala...

I know lot's of folks like them myself included... on Uke's they sound good on.

Can't stand them on my Kala KA-Soprano's or my KA-Tenor make them both sound tinny but I LOVE them on my Pono Mahogany Soprano and they sound fantastic on my buddys Pono Mahogany Tenor.

Hmm, interesting. What strings do you recommend on a Kala Tenor for a less tinny sound?

Top Bottom