PDA

View Full Version : My Day In Hospital...

Hippie Dribble
01-31-2013, 10:40 PM
hey gang, had to go in today for day surgery and I was full of fear and foreboding etc. Anyway, turns out things aren't as bad as I'd anticipated, but that's not the story.

I took in a bag full of the usual stuff: insulin, books, comics, notepaper, diary, testing gear etc etc AND my little sky-blue mahalo soprano...

After I came out of surgery and was coming round I thought what the heck and got her out. Started strumming a few old tunes, some bluegrassy-folk instrumentals and jazzy standards.

During the 30 minutes or so I was playing, literally every nurse on deck smiled at me as they walked by, also the two aneasthetists that were working, the surgeon and the catering staff. Two nurses came in and sat down for a few minutes...they were loving it!!! Turns out one was a uker herself. My own nurse called me Mr Ukulele for the rest of the day. :p When the catering lady came in with a sandwich she said, "we can hear you right down the hall, it's just lovely. We don't often get live music in here!" Then the surgeon came in for a chat and we talked more about uke than my health! Seems he is a frustrated guitarist who had often thought about buying a uke...well, after our chat he said he was gonna go buy one that night. :)

As for the patients..I was in a little room between the pre-op and post op "lounge" and as I left, the folks in each room said how much they'd enjoyed the music and how it had helped them to relax. :)

Aaaah, the sweet power of the diminutive uke to bring joy to people keeps on amazing me. This is the first time I'd ever done something bold like that. So, I just want to encourage y'all, don't ever hesitate getting your uke out in public, it may just bring about unexpected surprises and happiness. :shaka:

KentSantaBarbara
01-31-2013, 11:02 PM
Good job Eugene. Bringing happiness to people that are having a difficult go. I hope you are doing well. Keep spreading the love Mr Ukulele

Lexxy
01-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Give it up for our very own, Mr. Ukulele!

Kyle23
01-31-2013, 11:23 PM
That's awesome man. Spreading that uke cheer!

Hippie Dribble
01-31-2013, 11:27 PM
thanks for reading guys. thing is, it was such a simple little thing. I guess the music was just something a bit different for these guys and took their thoughts somewhere more pleasant for awhile. I'm a really shy person and normally way too scared to do anything like that, but just shows the power of music, and the uke especially! Sure, hospitals aren't always the most fun places, but it makes me wonder in what other situations this could be done.

arpie
01-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Well done, Jon! I worked in a major Sydney hospital for 8 years & it was a dreary place, at best! Your uke music would have been a complete surprise to everyone - a very pleasant surprise!

Looks like you recovered well quickly from your day surgery!

YOU!! SHY??? Isn't it funny how others perceive us?? I would NEVER peg YOU as being shy!!

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2013, 12:14 AM
thanks Roberta, yes, recovered quickly. one more small procedure next Wed, then some medication adjustments I'm told and hopefully an improved health year in 2013. As to the shyness, yep, it's easy to record a video clip cause you're in isolation, but I've suffered from it much of my life. I kinda have a split personality thing going on, the dominant part of me is very shy, a hermit and avoids social situations, but then, put me in front of a bunch of kids or on a stage with a mic and I get all extroverted and turn into an entertainer. I'm a bit weird... :uhoh:

the strange thing about today was, I wasn't really expecting any reaction at all. But to see the uke music so affect the folks in the hospital in the way it did was such an encouraging thing and really made me reflect on the very little things we can do to positively impact on people. I feel I am a bit insular at times and it was a real wake-up to see the good that can flow on when you let go of your self-focus and self-consciousness.

Kyle23
02-01-2013, 12:16 AM
I feel like if I did this everyone in the hospital would tell me to quiet down haha. Just my luck.

Raygf
02-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Jon, this is the true embodiment of one of my favorite music quotes, by one of my favorite musicians. Way to go!

"The magic in music happens only when the artist serves it with love and joy and the listener receives it with the same spirit."
Ravi Shankar

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Jon, this is the true embodiment of one of my favorite music quotes, by one of my favorite musicians. Way to go!

"The magic in music happens only when the artist serves it with love and joy and the listener receives it with the same spirit."
Ravi Shankar
that's a beautiful one Ray, thanks mate. no doubting the old truism that music reaches into places where words often can't.

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2013, 12:25 AM
I feel like if I did this everyone in the hospital would tell me to quiet down haha. Just my luck.

ha ha!! Exactly Kyle...they should consider themselves fortunate...coulda been bagpipes. :p

nighthunte29
02-01-2013, 12:29 AM
I often whack my uke out in public, I'm not even that good, but even a few simple strums can brighten someones day!
That Ravi quote is great, I totally agree with it, fretting and strumming is only 50% of playing ukulele (or sitar as the case may be).
Congrats on your speedy recovery, maybe you will take your uke to more public places now! Although I wouldn't recommend Tesco's property, as all musicians are buskers in their eyes! :p

mds725
02-01-2013, 12:33 AM
This is why you're my hero, Jon. When I came to after a colonoscopy a few years ago (I know, TMI), all I could do was babble (although it didn't sound like babbling to me at the time). When I got home, I tried to play my Kala solid mahogany concert and dropped it, resulting in a chip that took $90 US to repair.

I'm glad to hear that your current treatment gives you a shot at better health. You certainly deserve it! And I can relate to what you said about the split personality thing. I'm as shy as they come and get really scared about playing alone, even informally for friends, but I've performed publicly at a number of festivals with my ukulele classes. I'm getting there on the solo stuff. Confidence is a big help and as my playing improves, so does my willingness to play publicly. I'm still scared bleep-less about recording, though, which is partly why I haven't participated in the seasons yet, wven though I've prepared for a few of them.

As for entertainng in hospitals, they have to be some of the scariest places on earth, and I know it's gotta help people there to hear music. I'm trying to get my Sunday meetup group (which plays pop music) to get volunteer gigs at hospitals and rehab centers, but it's tough finding the right people to talk to. I sure hope we do it some day. I can't think of anything more rewarding.

Godspeed and heal quickly!

Mark

teruterubouzu
02-01-2013, 12:45 AM
I'm glad to read your surgery went well -- and it's great that you got some ukulele in! I bet the staff and other patients will be talking about it for days to come.

dkcrown
02-01-2013, 12:54 AM
I'm glad you're on the mend, Jon. It sounds like your uke strumming experience wasn't just therapeutic for the others in the hospital.:)

kvehe
02-01-2013, 01:11 AM
What a great tale to start my day! You are the best uker ever!

Barbablanca
02-01-2013, 01:41 AM
Great story Jon. Hope you are soon on the road to complete recovery. I've had my own little health scare recently and know the anxiety that it can cause. All the best from Catalonia - Berni :cool:

Tailgate
02-01-2013, 01:51 AM
awesome story... what blend of tunes did you play? hope you didn't play St. James Infirmary ;) did you sing ? Your singing voice and enthusiasm are always a delight... thanks for sharing..

23skidoo
02-01-2013, 01:52 AM
I'll bet they wish they could prescribe a little Eugene for all their patients each day - I'm sure it brightened everyone's day a bit.... even just telling us about it has made mine a little better. Glad to hear the positive health news - keep on keepin on, man.....

WhenDogsSing
02-01-2013, 01:55 AM
hey gang, had to go in today for day surgery and I was full of fear and foreboding etc. Anyway, turns out things aren't as bad as I'd anticipated, but that's not the story.

I took in a bag full of the usual stuff: insulin, books, comics, notepaper, diary, testing gear etc etc AND my little sky-blue mahalo soprano...

After I came out of surgery and was coming round I thought what the heck and got her out. Started strumming a few old tunes, some bluegrassy-folk instrumentals and jazzy standards.

During the 30 minutes or so I was playing, literally every nurse on deck smiled at me as they walked by, also the two aneasthetists that were working, the surgeon and the catering staff. Two nurses came in and sat down for a few minutes...they were loving it!!! Turns out one was a uker herself. My own nurse called me Mr Ukulele for the rest of the day. :p When the catering lady came in with a sandwich she said, "we can hear you right down the hall, it's just lovely. We don't often get live music in here!" Then the surgeon came in for a chat and we talked more about uke than my health! Seems he is a frustrated guitarist who had often thought about buying a uke...well, after our chat he said he was gonna go buy one that night. :)

As for the patients..I was in a little room between the pre-op and post op "lounge" and as I left, the folks in each room said how much they'd enjoyed the music and how it had helped them to relax. :)

Aaaah, the sweet power of the diminutive uke to bring joy to people keeps on amazing me. This is the first time I'd ever done something bold like that. So, I just want to encourage y'all, don't ever hesitate getting your uke out in public, it may just bring about unexpected surprises and happiness. :shaka:

Very nice Jon...Glad you're okay buddy...!!!

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2013, 02:08 AM
This is why you're my hero, Jon. When I came to after a colonoscopy a few years ago (I know, TMI), all I could do was babble (although it didn't sound like babbling to me at the time). When I got home, I tried to play my Kala solid mahogany concert and dropped it, resulting in a chip that took $90 US to repair.

I'm glad to hear that your current treatment gives you a shot at better health. You certainly deserve it! And I can relate to what you said about the split personality thing. I'm as shy as they come and get really scared about playing alone, even informally for friends, but I've performed publicly at a number of festivals with my ukulele classes. I'm getting there on the solo stuff. Confidence is a big help and as my playing improves, so does my willingness to play publicly. I'm still scared bleep-less about recording, though, which is partly why I haven't participated in the seasons yet, wven though I've prepared for a few of them.

As for entertainng in hospitals, they have to be some of the scariest places on earth, and I know it's gotta help people there to hear music. I'm trying to get my Sunday meetup group (which plays pop music) to get volunteer gigs at hospitals and rehab centers, but it's tough finding the right people to talk to. I sure hope we do it some day. I can't think of anything more rewarding.

Godspeed and heal quickly!

Mark
thanks Mark! I know what you mean about the babbling he he...this time I didn't have the full general, just was what he called 'heavy sedation' so I thankfully didn't embarrass myself this time by being too friendly with the nurses. With the solo stuff I think for me I just got to the point a few years back when the performance anxiety became so crippling I just bit the bullet and told myself I wasn't going to put up with it anymore and threw caution to the wind. You'll get there with it mate, I have no doubt. That debut seasons clip is coming sooner than you think maybe... :)

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2013, 02:11 AM
I'm glad to read your surgery went well -- and it's great that you got some ukulele in! I bet the staff and other patients will be talking about it for days to come.

well, one of the staff I'll be seeing in a couple of weeks for a brief and follow up - the surgeon, who told me he was gonna go buy a uke. I'll be able to check up on him ha ha!!! I'll make sure I take in a page full chords and some simple songs, plus a bunch of online links including this one :shaka:

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2013, 02:17 AM
awesome story... what blend of tunes did you play? hope you didn't play St. James Infirmary ;) did you sing ? Your singing voice and enthusiasm are always a delight... thanks for sharing..
he he...St James Infirmary? Ouchy wa wa brother. What about "When Death Come Creeping In Your Room"?Sure to get smiles on dials that one. No, played mainly oldtime folk melodies (Wandering Boy/Cripple Creek/ Lonesome Valley etc) and some jazz era standards, couple of bluesy ones. The two I actually sang were Bare Necessities and When You Wore A Tulip. Wasn't going to sing but they asked me if I could so I had a little go at the end... :o

GinnyT11
02-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Love you for doing this, Jon. This is the essence of a meaningful life---taking what happens and finding a way to make it useful and good for others. I hope for you and all of us here that this will be a much better year for you health-wise.

barefootgypsy
02-01-2013, 02:38 AM
What a great thread! You will have made so many people in that hospital so very, very happy with your music - and cheered yourself up no end as well! You can't beat a little sky blue Mahalo in these situations, I reckon! (I have one too, it's out on loan...) That is just such a brilliant story; love it, love it, love it....... and so much of what happened there is really down to your own lovely personality, Jon, make no mistake. Ukulele HERO! :D Don't ever stop......... and here's to you and the best of health too......!

pootsie
02-01-2013, 02:51 AM
Stay on the mend, Jon. thanks for the smile

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2013, 03:04 AM
thanks everyone for your generous words and well wishes. Yeah, many of you know my health is poorly but I'm feeling more optimistic about the future than I have for sometime. I am beginning study next week with a view to getting back into the classroom teaching by the end of the year, part-time at least, and am also thinking carefully about a resumption of some form of active ministry, either in worship or with the kids, we'll see what the future brings...

tattoobabaloo
02-01-2013, 03:08 AM
Hello, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the timing of the OP's post and what he/she wrote was more than coincidence to me, and I wanted to share this as well. I hope you don't mind.

I will spare you the long details, but last year I became very ill. And during some of the worst of it, my wife suggested I try to learn the ukulele to help take my mind off of the pain and at least give me something else to focus on. It was the best medicine I could have gotten, I do not need to explain to anyone in this forum the power of those four little nylon strings. I have been doing much better in the months since, and I contribute my improving health to the ukulele.

I was forced to close my business last year, and it was really hard to have something I literally spent years of my life building with my own hands go away in a matter of minutes. One of the hardest things though, was being no longer able to make my monthly donations. I proudly wrote a small check to St. Judes children hospital each month, and I took pride in the fact that the more money I made, the more I sent.

I have contacted St. Jude's recently about donating a large number of good quality, playable ukuleles (you guys probably already know what brand I'm looking at) to both the children and parents. I explained to them my sincere belief in this instrument and the enjoyment that comes from a few simple strums. I also offered to travel to play and teach some basic lessons. I am not a good player, or performer, but this is one of those times where I just don't care. The compulsion to help has overtaken my fear of performing. I am hoping to hear back from them very soon and I hope that we are able to make this happen.

I will be providing the majority of the funds for the ukuleles, but I also will be publishing a facebook page soon where more info can be found. If you would like to help, donate, play, sing a song, record a video, anything at all please PM and I will respond. Thanks again everyone who reads this. I agree 110% with what the OP has done and is saying...you can bring light into the darkest of places..GO OUT AND UKE!!!

To the OP, I wish him/her a speedy recovery and all the best. I apologize for stealing your thread, I was going to start my own once I had an answer from St. Judes, but this seemed like a good time to maybe get this little ball rolling..Thanks again UU forum.

seeso
02-01-2013, 03:10 AM
Right on, Jon! Let this be a lesson to us all. If you've got a ukulele, whip it out!

BlueLatitude
02-01-2013, 03:19 AM
ha ha!! Exactly Kyle...they should consider themselves fortunate...coulda been bagpipes. :p

I used to play the bagpipes and people would get really excited when they heard them and come running over to see (they could hear no matter where they were).

The people in that hospital were lucky to hear you play, not just some live music, but GOOD live music!! That was probably the best time they ever had in a hospital.

jimmysworking
02-01-2013, 03:56 AM
That's wonderful. I hope to get to the point soon enough that when I play people will want to listen rather than worry about the cat I seem to be strangling. What a great unintentional ministry.

TheCraftedCow
02-01-2013, 03:58 AM
I always take two. One for me--one for who knows who. The surgeon came every day for the week I was there. He would sit down and ask me to play. When asked if he was checking my motor skills, he replied that his father had played the ukulele, and it brought back memories of him. We never know who might attach great significance to what we merely take for granted. Four strings can bring a different kind of healing which never can be reached with a knife.

pdxuke
02-01-2013, 04:12 AM
Mr Ukulele:

Well done! You raised the level of joy in people's lives, and isn't that what it's all about?

So glad you're on the mend. Perhaps we'll get that surgeon on UU before long!

caukulele
02-01-2013, 04:34 AM
Thanks Jon for your story. My uncle spent the last month or so in rehab and the hospital, and I often went and played my ukulele and sang for him, because it was one of the few things that he loved. He had the beginnings of dementia, but my playing would always bring a huge smile to his face and he would often sing along...I found that everyone around him loved the music as well, it really brought cheer and good will to the hospital.(Patients and staff) His roommates loved it too and would ask me to play more (one called me the singing angel...and I really don't sing that well)..people would stop outside his door while I played with big smiles to listen, asking me when I would come back, etc.... My uncle died last week at 91 years old, and I had the honor of singing and playing for him one last time at his funeral..... I was so glad that I was able to make a difference in his last few months with something as simple as music..

KoaDependent
02-01-2013, 04:57 AM
My own nurse called me Mr Ukulele for the rest of the day. :p

I don't get it. I mean, that's your name, right?

SailingUke
02-01-2013, 05:30 AM
Jon,
First, best wishes for a speedy & full recovery.
You are such a great ukulele ambassador !
A few years ago I ended up in the hospital and a friend brought me a uke to help pass the time.
It worked on my recovery and I got much the same reaction from others as you did.

FiL
02-01-2013, 05:38 AM
I love this story!! I often bring a uke when visiting family in the hospital or in rehab, and it always brings smiles.

- FiL

mattydee
02-01-2013, 05:45 AM
What a great story, Jon! All the best to you from the frigid north. Keep playin' those ditties!

vanflynn
02-01-2013, 06:00 AM
Hi Jon, Hope all continues to go well. The healing power of the uke will make sure of a quick recovery. Thanks for the update and keep them nurses dancing in the hallway!

Plainsong
02-01-2013, 06:22 AM
That's not weird, that's a performer. :)

What a great story, and I'm glad the surgery went well. Yeah you don't get people with larger instruments lugging them into the hospital with them, do you? And the smaller ones..well, they can be pretty loud too. I mean imagine if you brought in a trumpet, people wouldn't be so glad to hear it. But the uke? Small enough to bring with you, loud enough to be heard, but not too loud that it disturbs people. Not many instruments fit that bill! :)

thanks Roberta, yes, recovered quickly. one more small procedure next Wed, then some medication adjustments I'm told and hopefully an improved health year in 2013. As to the shyness, yep, it's easy to record a video clip cause you're in isolation, but I've suffered from it much of my life. I kinda have a split personality thing going on, the dominant part of me is very shy, a hermit and avoids social situations, but then, put me in front of a bunch of kids or on a stage with a mic and I get all extroverted and turn into an entertainer. I'm a bit weird... :uhoh:

the strange thing about today was, I wasn't really expecting any reaction at all. But to see the uke music so affect the folks in the hospital in the way it did was such an encouraging thing and really made me reflect on the very little things we can do to positively impact on people. I feel I am a bit insular at times and it was a real wake-up to see the good that can flow on when you let go of your self-focus and self-consciousness.

OldePhart
02-01-2013, 06:23 AM
That's really cool Jon and I'm glad you came through the surgery so well. I think I'll take a uke with me next time (I'll probably have to have my pacemaker replaced some time this year - the battery has lasted seven years so far - not a record but pushing it). When they put it in in 2006 I about went stir crazy for the full day I had to spend in the hospital - I'm not a TV person and hadn't thought to bring a book so I was about to crawl out of my skin. I literally could have driven myself home an hour after waking up but they kept me overnight for "observation" - translation, "we want to charge your insurance for another full day." LOL

John

Newportlocal
02-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Great story. Very happy making. Good stuff. Hope you recuperate quickly.

Dominator
02-01-2013, 06:39 AM
Great story. Hope your feeling good as ever, Mr. Ukulele.

wayfarer75
02-01-2013, 06:43 AM
I don't get it. I mean, that's your name, right?

I know, it says right there "Eugene Ukulele"!

Best wishes for your recovery and better health in the future, Mr. Ukulele!

ukuLily Mars
02-01-2013, 06:55 AM
So glad everything went well! I hope that 2013 is indeed a year of good health for you. Actually, I think "Ambassador" Ukulele is closer to the mark.

PatriciaPDX
02-01-2013, 07:41 AM
This is the first thing I read this morning, and first off I want to say I'm glad you're doing well and wish for you a continued good recovery. I just loved your story! It's amazing, the power of one little uke to positively affect so many. Well done!

mm stan
02-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Sorry Late to the party again...just got online and saw this...wow Hope you are recovering well...and have a speedy one....Wow the post made me tear up mate
such a great story of anxiety of surgery and pleasing the fellow patients and hospital staff...way to go bruddah...I am sure you rocked the house there and
helped alot of them patients through some of their health anxieties there...good goings...wow you inspired the doc to get a uke too...how cool mate....
Please get well and let us know how it is going....take care and many blessings....Happy Strummings Bruddah...:)

molokinirum
02-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Great stroy Jon....glad everything went well and wishing you a full and speedy recovery!!!

Plainsong
02-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Yeah, and he married Eugenie, which made the monogramming on the towels easier. :)

I know, it says right there "Eugene Ukulele"!

Best wishes for your recovery and better health in the future, Mr. Ukulele!

RyanMFT
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
That was a great story Jon, and I am glad you are doing ok brother! Mr. Ukulele spreading the love. Look at you!

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Hello, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the timing of the OP's post and what he/she wrote was more than coincidence to me, and I wanted to share this as well. I hope you don't mind.

I will spare you the long details, but last year I became very ill. And during some of the worst of it, my wife suggested I try to learn the ukulele to help take my mind off of the pain and at least give me something else to focus on. It was the best medicine I could have gotten, I do not need to explain to anyone in this forum the power of those four little nylon strings. I have been doing much better in the months since, and I contribute my improving health to the ukulele.

I was forced to close my business last year, and it was really hard to have something I literally spent years of my life building with my own hands go away in a matter of minutes. One of the hardest things though, was being no longer able to make my monthly donations. I proudly wrote a small check to St. Judes children hospital each month, and I took pride in the fact that the more money I made, the more I sent.

I have contacted St. Jude's recently about donating a large number of good quality, playable ukuleles (you guys probably already know what brand I'm looking at) to both the children and parents. I explained to them my sincere belief in this instrument and the enjoyment that comes from a few simple strums. I also offered to travel to play and teach some basic lessons. I am not a good player, or performer, but this is one of those times where I just don't care. The compulsion to help has overtaken my fear of performing. I am hoping to hear back from them very soon and I hope that we are able to make this happen.

I will be providing the majority of the funds for the ukuleles, but I also will be publishing a facebook page soon where more info can be found. If you would like to help, donate, play, sing a song, record a video, anything at all please PM and I will respond. Thanks again everyone who reads this. I agree 110% with what the OP has done and is saying...you can bring light into the darkest of places..GO OUT AND UKE!!!

To the OP, I wish him/her a speedy recovery and all the best. I apologize for stealing your thread, I was going to start my own once I had an answer from St. Judes, but this seemed like a good time to maybe get this little ball rolling..Thanks again UU forum.
tatoobabaloo, thankyou so much for sharing your story. This is really precious stuff. I wish you better times ahead and all power to you. You can be expecting a PM from me too.

And to everyone, thankyou all for sharing your own stories and your own uke journeys. It is amazing to read about the impact the uke has had on yourselves and others. Just made my day to wake up and read em.

Like seeso said, if you have a uke, none of us should be afraid to whip it out whenever and wherever we are. :)

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Four strings can bring a different kind of healing which never can be reached with a knife.

what a beautiful and true line. Thankyou CC.

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks Jon for your story. My uncle spent the last month or so in rehab and the hospital, and I often went and played my ukulele and sang for him, because it was one of the few things that he loved. He had the beginnings of dementia, but my playing would always bring a huge smile to his face and he would often sing along...I found that everyone around him loved the music as well, it really brought cheer and good will to the hospital.(Patients and staff) His roommates loved it too and would ask me to play more (one called me the singing angel...and I really don't sing that well)..people would stop outside his door while I played with big smiles to listen, asking me when I would come back, etc.... My uncle died last week at 91 years old, and I had the honor of singing and playing for him one last time at his funeral..... I was so glad that I was able to make a difference in his last few months with something as simple as music..
thankyou Denise for another incredible story. I remember you telling us about your experiences a little while back and am so happy for you in the joy and peace you were able to bring, not only your uncle, but so many others, many of whom you probably weren't even aware of. Singing Angel indeed. Love it.

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2013, 12:06 PM
That's really cool Jon and I'm glad you came through the surgery so well. I think I'll take a uke with me next time (I'll probably have to have my pacemaker replaced some time this year - the battery has lasted seven years so far - not a record but pushing it). When they put it in in 2006 I about went stir crazy for the full day I had to spend in the hospital - I'm not a TV person and hadn't thought to bring a book so I was about to crawl out of my skin. I literally could have driven myself home an hour after waking up but they kept me overnight for "observation" - translation, "we want to charge your insurance for another full day." LOL

John
hey brother, don't tell anyone, but I had a very similar experience as yours a few years ago. I felt like I was climbing walls after a few hours stuck in that situation and from that day on, resolved never to go unprepared into a hospital again. As well as the books and notebook, it was a main reason I took the uke in with me yesterday actually. Problem with my experience was, I had a panic attack and just had to run. I got dressed, pulled out the drip and crept out of the place, jumped in my car and drove home. Only to be greeted a 1/2 hour after I'd made it back there by the police who, after listing a number of charges they could have arrested me under, proceeded to ask me why they should not throw the book at me and take me to the station. Thankfully they were lenient and instead, drove me back to hospital. :p Safe to say this was a much better day and a more intelligent decision to bring a ukulele to play, rather than playing the fool and spending time in custody :o

LifesShort
02-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Jon, I'm glad you are doing well. I guarantee your actions today put a smile on God's face. Today, you did exactly what he put us in this world to do.

Steedy
02-01-2013, 01:23 PM
I can't think of a more fitting title than "Mr. Ukulele" for ya, Bruddah Jon! Thanks for sharing your talent and love of music with us here at UU, and wherever you go.

I bet that little blue Mahalo sounds pretty sweet too. :)

Hippie Dribble
02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
I can't think of a more fitting title than "Mr. Ukulele" for ya, Bruddah Jon! Thanks for sharing your talent and love of music with us here at UU, and wherever you go.

I bet that little blue Mahalo sounds pretty sweet too. :)

she's a ripper Steedy. My first ever uke, 20 bucks, bridge lifting off, fretboard worn to sawdust but will never part with her. here she is in all her glory :)

Steedy
02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
A beauty in a beautiful setting!

Tailgate
02-01-2013, 01:51 PM
one of the best threads ever!

paullchter
02-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Jon -

A similar experience!

I was in the hospital for 3 weeks this summer...and learned my neurosurgeon played clawhammer banjo. I proceeded to tell him about clawhammer uke.....and turned him on to some You Tube video instruction.

Finally, the occupational therapists had my wife bring my uke in so I could "re-learn" to coordinate all my fingers. I thought my playing was pretty rough, but all the staff came down to the therapy room to check out the music. Got more compliments than my playing deserved!

paul

ukuleledaddy
02-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Jon,

Glad to hear you're ok! That's a great story. Like you, I believe in the power of live music performed in "normal" everyday places. I'm not sure if I would be so bold on my own but with The Fruitloops a few weeks ago we spent a night flooding the streets of Portland with ukulele music! We rented a small school bus and drove around the city stopping at various places like bus stops and bars and getting out in our crazy costumes and playing music for whoever was around. It was great fun and put a few smiles on unsuspecting pedestrians. We're hoping to make it a regular thing.

Thanks for sharing the uplifting and inspiring story about the hospital Jon!

Tigeralum2001
02-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks for sharing Jon and I wish you quick recuperation!

I have been in healthcare for 12 years and music really helps. Most hospitals have some sort of music therapy. Where I work they use piano in the atrium for those patients that can get around and they have harp players for patients who are cannot move about. These ladies are crazy and have attached their harps to hand trucks in order to move through the hospital. Perhaps they should try uke...

uke552
02-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Thanks for making others day a bit better with your uke and mine for sharing your story. I hope you are recovering well and quickly.

CountryMouse
02-02-2013, 02:59 AM
That's wonderful! And I'm glad things went well with the surgery. I'm sure, with your wonderful uke abilities, everyone had a better day. :)

CountryMouse

ukegirl
02-02-2013, 03:01 AM
Nice story and glad you are OK!!!

TG&Y
02-02-2013, 03:24 AM
Uh, not so sure I'd want to wake up in the hospital hearing harps...

Great story Mr. Uke. That was courageous action for a shy feller. Must have been the drugs.

Thanks for sharing Jon and I wish you quick recuperation!

I have been in healthcare for 12 years and music really helps. Most hospitals have some sort of music therapy. Where I work they use piano in the atrium for those patients that can get around and they have harp players for patients who are cannot move about. These ladies are crazy and have attached their harps to hand trucks in order to move through the hospital. Perhaps they should try uke...

OldePhart
02-02-2013, 05:42 AM
Uh, not so sure I'd want to wake up in the hospital hearing harps...

BWAAAA-HAAAAA :biglaugh:

It could be worse...you could wake up hearing accordians...

myrnaukelele
02-02-2013, 03:13 PM
What a great story - bringing uke cheer to the nurses and patients at the hospital. Good for your Jon! Glad all is well.