Playing standing up

hoosierhiver

Reaction score
When I was pretty early into it,a violin player we played with always insisted that we all stand while we practice.As you might want to stand when you play gigs.I think it is also much better for singing.I've even gotten used to walking around and playing without thinking about it,something gee-tar players can't easily do.

it's not really hard to play guitar and walk if u got a guitar strap, but an ukulele is different.. who uses a strap on their ukulele??
it can be harder for me to play depending on the song.. :/

what then shall we do??

I use a strap, but I am a freak...

I do walk around a lot while playing, though. I find I can do the Johnny Cash point thing and my cheapo laminate resonates better.

I really should learn to play better without the strap...

Dominator for one and I'm sure a number of others do . . .

Yes, I do play using a strap when standing. I do this for a couple of reasons. I typically play with my thumb behind/in the center of the neck and my fingers arched around in front of the fingerboard. If the uke is resting on my palm and having to assist in holding the uke up I can't fret the chords properly. The other reason is that my arms are long and if I use my right arm to cradle and hold the uke tight up against my body so I don't have to worry about the left hand assisting in the process then my right hand is way too far forward and ends up in the middle of the fingerboard. This is Ok for strumming but it doesn't work at all for finger picking.

James Hill uses a strap and we all know what a monster player he is. It works for him. I think it is up to each of us to find what works best for us as individuals. Jake doesn't use one but he started playing so young that the uke has just become an extension of who he is.

Coming from a guitar/drum background, I find it difficult to stand in one spot when I play...even when I'm at home. Moving is like, a necessity for me. I can go without a strap, but I find it much easier/enjoyable with one.

I'm pretty much in the same situation as Dominator here, but I'd still rather just sit down & play.

I'm getting older and lazier and it's nice to take a load off after so many years of playing in rock & roll bands. (a Gretsch Country Gentleman weighs a lot more than you think... ) Plus since I was also a singer and couldn't stray too far from the mic, I'm used to sticking to one spot.

But for aimlessly wandering around the house as I'm occasionally wont to do I have found that I can brace the butt end of the uke under my wrist just behind the bridge and still fingerpick reasonably well.

it's not really hard to play guitar and walk if u got a guitar strap, but an ukulele is different.. who uses a strap on their ukulele??
it can be harder for me to play depending on the song.. :/

what then shall we do??

I do (not that that's great reason for anyone else to!).

BTW, Long Hollow Leather in Franklin, TN makes a mandolin strap that works very well on a soprano uke. It's called the Mandolin Softy and it's soft enough to leave attched to the uke when you throw it in the case.

No affiliation, just lovin' my strap!

For standing performing, Baritone low with strap, soprano without strap but played high on top of breast, every other size, I sit, (don't use them in the band).

strap on

i use a strap for standing, i do struggle without one , i have just made a velcro strap with a bootlace for my fluke, which works a treat without using strap buttons. i may do a how too on you tube if anyones interested

K

i use a strap for standing, i do struggle without one , i have just made a velcro strap with a bootlace for my fluke, which works a treat without using strap buttons. i may do a how too on you tube if anyones interested

K

If you don't mind, I'd love to know how you did that. I'm in need of a strap without the button hassle.

i did a gig last night and played just one song.

there was a chair there on stage but was kinda hidden away. I pulled the chair across sat and played.

I can play standing up but dont prefer it cos not used to it. Maybe cos i practice most of my time sitting down infront of the computer any way.

i will be practising more this year standing up.

cool thread. I have found the use of a strap necessary when I am performing. I found that when playing without the uke would slowly slip down and finally break up my groove when it would slip to low.

I use a strap that has a single rubber hook on the end, that wraps under the body and attaches at the bottom of the soundhole. It gives me a freedom of movement that I enjoy.

cool thread. I have found the use of a strap necessary when I am performing. I found that when playing without the uke would slowly slip down and finally break up my groove when it would slip to low.

I use a strap that has a single rubber hook on the end, that wraps under the body and attaches at the bottom of the soundhole. It gives me a freedom of movement that I enjoy.
I injured my soprano using a "uke thong". Cracked the finish at the sound hole.

Playing standing up.

Grappler.
Try using a loop of cord round your ukulele and round the back of your neck, assuming it's guitar shaped, the cord will sit nicely behind the bridge and will support a soprano across your chest. I saw some guys playing in the street using this looped cord. It's cheap and easy they were using bootlace type cords.

Top Bottom