Question on Pono Tenors neck

Contrails

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of getting a Pono tenor. I have read many times people mentioning that it has a wide neck, or fatter neck cos of the thrust rod. I would like to ask what do you guys mean by this? When you say fat/thick do you mean that the radius of the neck is fatter than normal or the fretboard is wider compared to other brands? I personally prefer a bigger radius neck(i.e more rounded at the back), coming from playing guitar. I find that with barre chords my thumb muscle is aching if I play the all the chords that way. It is almost like I am pinching the neck between my thumb and index finger.

What about kanilea? It is wider on the fret board?

Thanks ya all
Ryan

The Pono's neck is thicker front to back than most other uke. It feels much more like a small guitar neck than a thin ukulele neck. I love the way mine feels.

Pono Tenor Necks are Thicker around the circumference and Kanilea Fret boards are Wider at the Nut, (1 1/2" vs. 1 /38" on other Ukes).

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your replies. Just what I am looking for. Fat chunky necks.

Yah, the neck on my Pono Tenor feels "beefier" than those on my other ukes. It feels really comfortable to me.

Top Bottom