Tuning a Baritone like a Concert

Bryan13

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the Ukulele, but was given a Baritone and was wondering if it can be tuned like a Concert. Would a different type of string need to be used? Is it even posssible?
Thanks for any replies.
Bryan

Crap... I feel like such a noob right now. Here I am using tenor strings on my Baritone to tune it GCEA, complaining how taut it is, when there was actually a simpler way to do it. Well... you learn something every single day.:p

A word of caution, if you're using tenor strings on a baritone, your neck might warp a little if it's not reinforced.

Only problems I've ever heard of happening when doing this are bridges being popped off and necks warping. Depends on the robustness of the construction.

I tried it with a shorter scale baritone ("18.5/8") with a set of Kaloa Golds designed for GCEA on the Bari. Came back to it the next morning and it had broken into a sweat, was shaking, the soundhole had turned into a grimace and tears were coming off of the headstock. :p

It's back to DBBE now.

I tried alsorts with my baritone low D, high D, low G. high G. I didn't really like anything. Eventually I put Worth concert strings on my and tuned it up to high G, C tuning. It's been like that for 9 months now with no problems. It's a Clearwater roundback bari (like the Ohana roundback concert only a bari).

It sounds great now - really great. I realised at the time that I was pushing it tension wise but it's a fairly cheap instrument so I thought I'd risk it. I don't think I'd do the same with an expensive one.

so I bought those aquilla strings (the bari ones) kept the D string from the DGBE set, but I still dont know if I like it at all. The strings are very slack, and if I try to tune up to the next step, I feel as if somethings gonna break. Really the only string that bothers me in the whole thing (and the reason Im more than likely going to go back to DGBE tuning is the C string. The C string is so slack.. I just dont see how I could play it like that.

Note: This is probably why Baritone ukes are meant to be tuned DGBE.

Top Bottom