Uke Picking Without Nails

Baby Bluegill

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know, generally, how commonly the uke is played without right hand nails. Are uke players as firm on nails as classical guitarists? More importantly, is there a technique (or strings:)) that will benefit those who must keep their nails short?

I have a new tenor ukulele (Kala Solid Mahogany Lite) to cut my teeth on and figured the larger size will allow for me to strum and pick - without nails. My fingers are slim, not sausages, and hope this may make a difference.

Thanks for any advice,

Gene

It is all a matter or personal preference.

I don't have much in the way of fingernails, and even when I played guitar - 6 or 12-string, steel or nylon - I used the finger pads, rather than nails or picks for finger picking. Likewise on the uke.

To me, it is a nicely mellow sound. That being said, you can have modest fingernails and use them for picking as well. it is all up to you. Rule #1 is that there are no rules.

-Kurt​

I use my nails for picking. Yes some of us do obsess about them. Unfortunately, my job keeps my nails broken most of the time. I'll be interested to watch this thread.

I don't know any professional players that do not use real fingernails or artificial ones. Nails are absolutely necessary to get a good tone and also to vary the tone tone depending on how the strings are picked. One or two players use a guitar plectrum if they need to pluck loudly.

My nails are so worn from playing, I'm experimenting with Alaska Piks until they grow back out again, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how 'un-pick-like' they sound, especially when filed down to roughly the size I'd keep my own nails.

This has been a conundrum for me, as I do a lot of typing as part of my job and can't stand to type with long nails. I've tried picks and fingerpicks, but they just don't feel or sound right. Then I read somewhere that the nails don't need to be THAT long, that one only needs to be able to see them peeping over the tops of the fingers when looking at one's open palm. I find this length works well for me, and is a good compromise with my day job, too.

In 35 years of playing guitar, I've probably had nails for 2 months in total. You can still get a huge range of tones without, and I will always maintain that you get a closer "connection" with the strings when it's skin not nail. You can always modify your picking to hit the string with skin and nail if your nails are short. You can get quite a nice fake harmonic sound.

You'll get as many differing pieces of advice as there are UU members. But that's all it is...advice.

I'm using nail strengthener and growing my nails. I do think the tone sounds clearer and louder with my nails instead of the pads of my fingers, but for my job I have to wash my hands several times an hour, so as a result my nails are weak and the callouses on my left hand often soften too.

Yet in terms of actually playing, I don't feel as accurate with my fingernails. I feel like I have more control with the pads of my fingers, but then I haven't played much with nails as they keep breaking.

Basically, I'm as yet undecided.

Completely unrelated to sound quality, but I think it's creepy looking when men have long nails.

Completely unrelated to sound quality, but I think it's creepy looking when men have long nails.

That is exactly what my daughter says to me. I don't know what gives her the idea that I am creepy looking. Of course it may be the fact they I often wear a billowing black cloak, have extra long upper canine teeth and a propensity for biting young maidens on the neck.

Last edited:
That is exactly what my daughter says to me. I don't know what gives her the idea that I am creepy looking. Cause it may the fact they I often wear a long black cloak, have extra long upper canine teeth and it may be my propensity for biting young maidens on the neck.

And that's supposed to be what the ladies think is hot these days!

images
images

That is exactly what my daughter says to me. I don't know what gives her the idea that I am creepy looking. Of course it may be the fact they I often wear a billowing black cloak, have extra long upper canine teeth and a propensity for biting young maidens on the neck.

:biglaugh:

You must be the local vampire round these parts, who announces itself by playing the devils chord (which I may add sounds exceptionally clear as you use your fingernails). I mustn't go out after midnight.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't have the big hair anymore, Freeda.

I see on YouTube like LukeVal who places the thumb behind the fingers and push down on the strings and let up on them rather than drawing against them. Am I accurate, or is his way the experience of an exceptional plucked string player? I assume it is how lute players pluck, but is it ever used with uke by players who do not have the background?

Val is a lute player, and a fine one. He buys low tension custom strings from me because he wants the uke to feel a bit like a lute. Yes, he uses his fingers like a lute player. I play with a technique that is more similar to that on the classical guitar.

This debate is as old as the guitar, Dionisio Aguado using his nails and Fernando Sor preferring pads. They used gut strings back then. I have no idea of the tension. I think Segovia was the one who made the use of nails on nylon strings the preferred combination.

abrasion drawn

Val is a lute player, and a fine one. He buys low tension custom strings from me because he wants the uke to feel a bit like a lute. Yes, he uses his fingers like a lute player. I play with a technique that is more similar to that on the classical guitar.

In your experience, how often do uke players bring up the question of playing, of what I guess it would be considered non-strandard, without nails? Is there a line of stings that have a bit more "grab" against the fingertip? Is gut a reasonable option? The genre of pieces I am interested in fall along UkeVal's lines, and seem so much more authentic than on a mandolin.

In your experience, how often do uke players bring up the question of playing, of what I guess it would be considered non-strandard, without nails? Is there a line of stings that have a bit more "grab" against the fingertip? Is gut a reasonable option? The genre of pieces I am interested in fall along UkeVal's lines, and seem so much more authentic than on a mandolin.

You can find real gut, but trying Nylgut (Aquila) makes sense to me. It does seem to have more "grab" and is loud. In fact, picking Nylgut with nails has always seemed kind of "scratchy" to me.

Top Bottom