Bearclaw spruce/Quilted maple Tenor

Jason Wolverton

Reaction score
Hi guys. Here are some photos of a spruce/maple tenor uke I'm building.

I usually build classical guitars and do a lot of French polishing. Personally, I like guitars with nitro lacquer back and sides and a French polished soundboard.

I haven't quite decided wether to French polish this uke, or do lacquer on the whole thing.

I'd like to get some input from players to see what most people like. Thanks!

As of this post, the uke has been covered with a wash coat of shellac.IMG_0489.jpgIMG_0490.jpgIMG_0501.jpgIMG_0502.jpgIMG_0505.jpg

Email sent Jason,

In general, nitro is great but can pose some problems with vinyl contact, FP is nicer from a tactile point of view but more fragile.... oh, the dilemma!

I prefer FP, personally. Nicer feel and easy to touch up.

Terence

Wow...that quilted maple looks amazing!! Interesting bracing pattern too.
I like a harder finish for uke tops. I find my fingernails can scratch up shellac from strumming and I often play outside where there's a danger of water, alcohol, bug spray, etc. Really depends on how you plan to use it. I'm not sure uke players are finish fanatics like classical players can be

Price seems reasonable...You should put a soundclip on your website. Also, most uke players play around the 14th fret and not by the soundhole so having an elevated fretboard won't really help fingerpicking. Good luck on the sale.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Can't remember the name of the font, Beau. It was some art deco font. I probably got it from dafont.com

I'm new to playing the uke. It sure throws me off when I go back to the classical guitar! :eek: I think it's the big difference in string spacing for the right hand.

Here's another tune on the uke called Sweet Pea.

http://www.jasonwolverton.com/SweetPea.mp3

Jason, the uke looks gorgeous and sounds great too. Your playing is fantastic also.
I notice the bracing is not typical of most ukuleles. Did this uke ever receive a bridge patch of any kind?

Thanks everyone.

Can't remember the name of the font, Beau. It was some art deco font. I probably got it from dafont.com

I'm new to playing the uke. It sure throws me off when I go back to the classical guitar! :eek: I think it's the big difference in string spacing for the right hand.

Here's another tune on the uke called Sweet Pea.

http://www.jasonwolverton.com/SweetPea.mp3

Wow, it sounds amazing as well - whoever ends up buying it is a very lucky person. And I'd never be able to tell you were new to playing uke, you play beautifully. Haha, after a couple days of uke playing the classical guitar neck feels like a harp to me. The first time I got my uke and played only it for a week, it took a few days to get the feel of the guitar back :p

Thanks again.

I'm hoping the transition back and forth from guitar to uke will get easier with time. It is funny how big the guitar feels after some time on the uke. I like the harp analogy. I know what you mean.

Dominator- I didn't use a bridge patch. I quit using them on my classical guitars a few years ago and like them better without. If I used a different style bridge on a uke, I might use one. I just started on a cedar/cocobolo tenor. Haven't decided on the bracing quite yet.

It's cool that I found a local luthier...Hopefully one of these I can stop by and say hello.

Top Bottom