HMS Steps Up

Shazzbot

Reaction score
I own a concert Koalana and it the best ukulele in my stable (Soprano Flea, Concert Fluke, Firefly, Soprano Pono).
After watching the unfolding story of the splitting Koalanas here on UU, I checked my concert and sure enough, it had a crack right on the glue line. It was about 3 inches long.
I sent an email to customer service at HMS and Joel got right back to me. First off, he suggested getting it more humidified. In the lag between responses (a matter of hours), he went ahead and sent me another Herco humidifier at no charge. Meanwhile, I ordered an Oasis humidifier from them. Now I have 2 Hercos and an Oasis. After a few days with the Oasis, the crack has shrunk considerably.
I will be going to Oahu in three weeks, and while I usually travel with my Flea, this time I’m taking the Koalana so HMS can take a look at it and decide what needs to be done.
HMS has made it clear that they will do what’s right.
I really, really like the uke and would love to keep it, provided I can be comfortable with its long term life. The question is can it be repaired satisfactorily? It’s a minor crack and I certainly hope so.
What do you folks think?

I own a concert Koalana and it the best ukulele in my stable (Soprano Flea, Concert Fluke, Firefly, Soprano Pono).
After watching the unfolding story of the splitting Koalanas here on UU, I checked my concert and sure enough, it had a crack right on the glue line. It was about 3 inches long.
I sent an email to customer service at HMS and Joel got right back to me. First off, he suggested getting it more humidified. In the lag between responses (a matter of hours), he went ahead and sent me another Herco humidifier at no charge. Meanwhile, I ordered an Oasis humidifier from them. Now I have 2 Hercos and an Oasis. After a few days with the Oasis, the crack has shrunk considerably.
I will be going to Oahu in three weeks, and while I usually travel with my Flea, this time I’m taking the Koalana so HMS can take a look at it and decide what needs to be done.
HMS has made it clear that they will do what’s right.
I really, really like the uke and would love to keep it, provided I can be comfortable with its long term life. The question is can it be repaired satisfactorily? It’s a minor crack and I certainly hope so.
What do you folks think?

If you really love the uke and they can fix it I'd go that route. I've got one tenor uke with a crack that sealed right back up once I humidified the uke (I bought it used and it came from Mass.) and it's been stable ever since. All I did to it was put a dab of clear fingernail polish along the seam so as not to do anything too permanent in case I needed a "real fix" later - so far there doesn't seem to be any need to do anything more to it.

On the other hand, yours was a new uke and you'll be in the US home of the KoAlana so I would probably at least try some undamaged ones and see if I like them just as much and take one of those if it made me equally happy.

John

Agree with this, if you're really attached, then it's probably fixable. But once they see it, they'll know what the best course of action is. I had a crack all the way up a fretboard on a uke once, and it didn't cost much for the luthier to fix that right up so that you never could tell it happened.

Another crackdown KoAlana?

Is this the next popping red Aquila low G?

Happened to mine as well. Straight down the center below the sound hole. Still sounds great. Added a Grover humidifier in addition to the Herco. Also started running a humidifer in the room. Spring can't arrive soon enough.

Humidifiers aren't much good if you don't have a hygrometer, right?

Thanks for the input people.
Normally humidity isn't an issue in the Pacific NW, but a cold spell with the heat on all the time produces the driest air of the year.
The inexpensive Herco just couldn't keep up.

I'm expecting this is an easy fix and am planning to drop by HMS early in my vacation so they have time to fix it.
But if they keep it for a few days, here is the most revolting development:
I will be in Hawaii, sitting on the lanai with a mai tai ............. WITHOUT A UKULELE IN MY HAND!
Ooooh, the horror!!!!

..... and purchasing another ukulele is not spousally possible........
(I think I just invented a new word)

When you take your car for mechanical work, sometimes you can get a courtesy car to use for the day - it occurs to me that HMS might have a 'loaner' uke so you are not left 'ukeless'.

ya, just let me know and you can borrow mine, same model. no problem at all

Thanks Andrew!
I'll see you in a few weeks.
As I said before, HMS steps up!!

(MM Stan, you're off the hook. I was going to stay with you until my uke came back)

Top Bottom